Boss asks for a report in a given template. Offers Word or Tex options...

Boss asks for a report in a given template. Offers Word or Tex options. I decide to choose Tex to see what the fuss is all about.

>Template has a section that can take up to 500 words but doesn't automatically page break.
>No commands to page break work.
>Start looking up forums on how to understand the Tex syntax to change the template wondering if I'm even allowed to do that.
>While trying to change anything something breaks and I get 500 lines of errors that are completely uninformative.

So I gave up and copy-pasted my text into word and pressed enter on the part I wanted to send to the next page and it worked.

This is why these types of try-hard things, including most linux things, will never be a mainstream option for normal human beings. Only something programmed by reclusive incels can require you to learn how to code 40 lines in a new language and edit templates whereas you could normally just fucking press enter once.

Attached: ms-word-img.png (768x512, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/amada1yamad76
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bluepilled
Reported to stallman-sama

Find a single flaw with my reasoning.

Its proprietary

Pretty much.

Although it's not like Word is too user friendly either. Pages is much better for that.

Good. Leave Linux and all that programming and server magic to us, professionals.

So basically you don't know latex and your complaint is it's difficult? You should probably stick with Word.

Street shitters... what can you do?

How you guys aren't the ones who complain about Loonix being irrelevant for consumers and the lack of professional software for it.

ITT nigger can't type \pagebreak

Attached: laughingbossfromspiderman.jpg (1280x720, 49K)

Help me bros, my boss asked me to set up a server for the office
But it uses Linux and the scary command line
Why isn't there a button to make me feel more inclusive
Why didn't i learn Linux instead of playing Fortnite and watching Adventure TIme?
My boss fired me but not before i dabbed and did the floss dance in front of him
TAKE THAT YOU STUPID BOOMER

Attached: 138988185351.png (435x399, 58K)

Granted it is difficult to work with and learn. The magic is that once you have build a certain type of document you can keep the layout and it will never change if you edit the text.

No weird moving about of elements, ... and proper citations.

But again the initial learning curve is steep. Would never use it if I had to finish something by tommorow unless a template was already given to me.

\pagebreak [num] to suggest a pagebreak.
\newpage to force a pagebreak
post in /sqt/ next time

This reads like a really shitty LARP but I can't say I disagree with the sentiment.

so basically you were too stupid to use it? niceee

>No commands to page break work.

THIS.

i'm tired if word fucking shit up after changing one word

But they do. You're incompetent.

>consumers
Fuck them. I don't want them here.
>lack of professional software
GCC, Clang, every non-shit dev tool ever all run best on Linux.

For short reports using LaTeX is probably more trouble than it's worth unless you know what you're doing.
For longer documents, especially ones with a high number of pictures, tables, or math formulas LaTeX can save you a lot of work though if you need to change the layout.

None of this has the intended effect inside of a \minipage, which is the case for this template.

>all professionals are devs
Gotta appreciate that autism.

Linux is pretty much for devs and other IT professionals. What kind of retard would use Linux professionally otherwise?

Then go read the minipage documentation.

>I NEED TO SPEND MORE TIME WORKING FOR MY BOSS AND LOOKING UP WIKIS AND FORUMS I LIKE MY WORK SO MUCH.
Why do you hate solving things in an easy way?

>B-b-b-but muh li-

You can compile any fucking language on windows. Not an argument.

>B-b-b-b-but there's that one thing that I can do faster on linux.

Then I'll do that one thing on linux. Using it for anything else has to be some elaborate "gotta impress my peers" routine

Post the .tex file (the template).
What you're describing is highly unusual.
I don't know of any way to restrict the amount of words a section can accept.

At the very worst case, if it's an intricate layout, and you try to fit more text in a part of the layout, it will overflow or the text will not show up after a point.
That is a physical limitation of the page size in physical dimensions, and it means the layout and template was designed with those limitations in mind.

Would you also bitch if you can't fit five 10-word sentences in the same physical line on Word?

unironically using google drive here. It's actually pretty comfy overall.

If you want you can apply some sort of markdown language via add-ons, but the built in hot-keys are pretty comfy for headers and there are already pretty nice add-ons for biblio stuff.

Google tex minipage break

Who are you quoting?

youre not autistic enough to use it

people here confuses the time needed to learn something that would do a simple job. like yes im hungry and i need a pan to put the eggs, but i dont need to fucking build the pan from scratch

TeX is just a way for autismfags to turn a legitimately easy things into a shitfest. Probably discord trannies using Debian.

>TeX is just a way for autismfags to turn a legitimately easy things into a shitfest.
Nah. It was one of the first and very few pieces of software to produce technical texts in acceptable quality, mostly academic texts and papers etc. .

As a side-effect, it happened to produce great typography with little fuss. Knuth was obsessed to find the best way to kern math symbols and glyphs, so the engine he designed also worked great on normal characters.

Many people decided to use tex for the typography alone. Still, it shouldn't be compared to Word, but to adobe InDesign.

>great typography

Attached: a229f934aeb8714fb28268a78e49d5f0da5cace3ed28c9e6ca85a66a549f6035_1.jpg (800x820, 166K)

Go look at a PDF generated by TeX. It will blow your balls off and rip your colon out through your toes.

wasted quad

Yes. Great full justification with glyph scaling, good kerning and hyphenation, and sensible defaults (easily adjusted) for the any typesetting parameter you can imagine.

What's your argument exactly?

>knows how to code
>doesnt have a job
>professionals
The state of Jow Forums

this.
also generating reports from various datasets have never been easier than with tex

Odds are that the template his boss provides its a ridiculous clusterfuck that breaks lots of shit and uses random environments for little or no reason

I still use Word 2007. But really Word is Word, the basics hasn't changed a bit from the 97 days. Bloat sure has though. Fuck all that "cloud" bullshit.

Attached: 1560198761500-g.png (640x480, 696K)

>waah latex is hard

is this reality. you telling me you can't handle a fucking markup language lmao.

>The magic is that once you have build a certain type of document you can keep the layout and it will never change if you edit the text.
Also this. Most unis (in stem) give you the layout already for assignments, so you don't have to spend a single minute about how to format your solutions, and the professors don't have to waste time navigating a cluttered layout when grading your work.

I am MC5
I am spoof of Iggy Pop. You can not beat me with Jow Forums Nazis
@amada1yamad76
twitter.com/amada1yamad76

Attached: 無aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa題.png (1480x378, 655K)

Sounds likely, yes. OP is still incompetent though.

>try to use thing
>fail
>make a thread telling calling who uses it names
every second Jow Forums thread ever

*calling anyone who uses it

(disclaimer: i don't use tex, or word, i'm just bored of these threads)

libre/open office are suitable alternatives to the office suite for 99% of the mundane shit office is used for.

the main issue is the need for perfect compatibility with word (as that's almost always what will be used to open them) and this just isn't there.

this essentially means i can't use linux for "work" e.g. assignments or "play" e.g. gaming and makes it a web browser OS for daily use.

hence, its only used on my nas and htpc. single use devices essentially

>i can't use linux
Linux is a kernel, not an OS
>for "work" e.g. assignments or "play" e.g. gaming
Neither of those things are worth giving up your freedom.

word is about as retard-proof as it gets, unless you count notepad in the same class of programs

cringe

LMAO Pages can suck a cock
Sure, its default font choices are strictly better, but it's so stripped down that it's hard to find advanced settings. The only thing that's easier to do in my experience is LaTeX operation

>inserting pagebreaks
Semantic markup > typesetting

DELID THIS PLEASE

Attached: kocCUDA.png (522x747, 116K)

Your mom is incompetent as fuck, but I never complained and still did her tranny ass.

And most non pro users don't need the advanced options. I don't like nor use it myself but after seeing how my sis who struggled with Libre and Word despite help, figured out all she needed to write a CV in Pages all by herself was fucking stunning.

>free software that doesn't actually work is better than nonfree software that does

Okay, but the rest of us have work to do.

>>free software that doesn't actually work is better than nonfree software that does
This is true actually, because the free software can be fixed, either by you, or by anyone else.

Proprietary software does not work for you and it never will, it works for the copyright holder, who has already expressed their interest in using the software against you.

LITERALLY:
>boss ask user to perform a simple task
>user decides to not only make life hard for himself but to "try" something at work he really should try at home on a document that probably is worth something (in nothing else his bosses time...)

Here's a protip OP: unless you boss specifically asks for it in a particular filetype stick to what you know. Trying to equate your lack of knowledge of something to "hurr durr loonix sux!" just makes you look even more stupid.

Tex is cool for math and STEM. But you're exactly right. Windows and Microsoft Office are popular for a good reason. They work well enough and are very learnable.

Just one of the many reasons why freetards are laughed at.

You've never worked a REAL job. Usually there is never enough work to last you an entire day let alone a week. Most people in offices are spending 95% of their pretending to busy. So when OP was exploring Tex he wasn't "wasting" time per se. Then again I don't OP personally to comment.

Freetards hate productivity. Look at how much criticism Ubuntu and Unity got.

Werks on my machine :joy:

This.

Word is great for back-and-forth with HR, but Latex is mandatory for STEM because Word breaks down at 10 pages of equations.
Latex is also backwards compatible while Word had to deprecate their old equations because they could execute programs.

>because the free software is such a piece of shit, you or anyone else will be expected to fix it.

ftfy

>yfw you get into academia and realize everyone asks for documents in word or pdf not tex

Attached: 1482377854271.jpg (700x700, 68K)

You what? Texlive is one of the most functional pieces of software available on linux. Same goes for the windows equivalent. I literally never had any problems that couldn't be traced to user retardedness. Can't say the same about Word

yeah, 'normal' human beings use a program that is designed to be used by monkeys. Actual people who advance humanity forward rely on TeX

>be Word
>resize a picture
>the picture jumps to a different location
>screws up the rest of
the
do
cu
me
nt

>realize everyone asks for documents in word or pdf not tex
No shit? tex is used to generate PDFs. Nobody fucking submits their tex source code

>You've never worked a REAL job.
t. Business owner.
If one of muh employees decided to steep learning curve something just for the sake of posting a "loonix sux" on here on a document that I needed there and then, he'd breddy soon be 1 of muh ex-employees...

But since YOUR job consists of looking busy, pretending to work and make work - be glad your boss isn't watching you too closely.

Attached: image.jpg (1024x678, 157K)

you're just dumb

>add one line of text on page 8
>figure on page 30 jumps fuck knows where and ruins every page from 21 on
Just Word things.

>boss gave me two choices
>I chose Tex, the option I had zero experience with
>it sucks because I can't figure out how to use it
>I reverted back to Word, something I've been using for years
>I know how to use Word so Tex sucks
You are beyond retarded.

\clearpage idiot

Wait, LaTex? You couldn't run some pre generated latex?
>Grug no like complex printer. Grug just use chisel and rock, they not fail.

>professionals
is your mommy paying you sweetie?

>Only something programmed by reclusive incels

Attached: 35 - CamiAfn.jpg (200x200, 6K)

The fuck is the point if Word can just export as pdf

The fuck is the point of Word if Tex can also export as PDF?

It just werks

If you have a very specific complaint that no one else is interested in fixing then yes absolutely, you are expected to either fix the issue yourself, or pay for someone else to do it, or perhaps get your company to pay for it. If they already pay thousands a year in microsoft licenses then they should have no problem cancelling some of those so they can afford to pay a free software developer.

>be retard
>can't use professional text editor
>durr
>use the approved botnet instead
>yes, this now works hurr