Tox Messenger

>Be me.
>In the Whatsapp((Facebook)) botnet
>Wants out
I like the idea of a decentralized messenger, but the commits seem pretty few and far between.

If not this, what're my best options? Signal?
inb4 IRC. I need something i can get my normie friends on

Attached: tox.jpg (380x216, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

jami.net/
briarproject.org/
anbox.io/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Signal isn't too bad, quite normie friendly, too bad can't send notifications without botnet and a bit buggy

Still the best independent messaging choice

Your normie friends most likely won't install another app just because of you.

Everyone is fine with the fact that these companies have full control over your communications, they don't care about privacy.

Give up and wait for some really bad shit to happen (it probably won't), then they might do something about it (still probably won't).

Matrix.

Telegram is a pretty patrician choice. A lot of normies already have them.

>NO OFFLINE MESSAGES

why is this shit still a thing? they could have solved it by routing GPG encrypted mails through some exit node if a partner is offline

no wonder it never kicked off

Attached: 3465789324986.png (1000x636, 1.07M)

Signal > Telegrams shit homebrew """crypto"""

DON'T use Signal, Telegram, or any other shit like that. Both of them have centralized servers. And hosting a Riot/Matrix or IRC server is a hassle.
What you want is GNU Jami. It's decentralized, encrypted and libre. You can install it on all major platforms (iOS, macOS, Windows, Android and GNU/Linux) too.
jami.net/
And for the live of god, don't use Discord, Teamspeak, Facebook Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger, or MSN.

>don't use Discord, Teamspeak, Facebook Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger, or MSN.
...duh
>jami.net/
never heard of it before, gonna give it a whirl.
How do they implement the offline messaging that Tox fails to implement? I've been reading up on their attempts and it looks like a huge hassle whichever proposal they look at

>How do they implement the offline messaging that Tox fails to implement?

Attached: jami.png (720x957, 129K)

Seems perfectly adequate considering the decentralized nature of it

Wait so you're telling me that your friends have to be online for you to message them? Like on teamspeak??
One more reason for me to stick with signal, despite it's botnet dependancies.

Briar
briarproject.org/

Attached: briarapp.jpg (1476x875, 193K)

You can't expect the same out of two fundamentally different technologies.

Promising, no desktop client?

>no desktop client
anbox.io/

If by "decentralized" you mean serverless and 100% peer to peer then you're gonna have to put up with the shit described above (e.g. flaky messaging to offline friends), no way around it

If by "decentralized" you mean there are multiple interconnecting servers to choose from, you have plenty of options, including IRC, XMPP, Matrix, and... email.

Some relevant apps:

Conversations client for XMPP
Riot client for Matrix
Delta Chat for email

>Building Jami

>Distribution 'void' not supported.
Choose one of: android, osx, ios, debian, ubuntu, linuxmint, raspbian, fedora, arch, opensuse, mingw32, mingw64

Sigh... btw i'm a newfag, how do you write code blocks on here?

Sorry, my bad there. I meant Distributed instead of Decentralized, so the former.

>tox

Attached: AbsoluteStateOfTox.jpg (1000x1000, 204K)

>Sigh... btw i'm a newfag, how do you write code blocks on here?
Write [ code] and [/code] between the lines of text you want to turn into code.
Of course, remove the first space on .

Thanks fren!

>having friends
>having normie friends

Attached: 1523614170975.jpg (904x711, 273K)

I have tested extensively Tox, XMPP+OTR, Ring/Jami, Signal, Matrix, Rocket.Chat, and Wire. They all have very major usability issues. Wire is the least horrible. Use WhatsApp or Discord.