How difficult is it to get a software engineering job without any college degree

How difficult is it to get a software engineering job without any college degree

Attached: 1518054128751.gif (474x357, 666K)

Pretty hard, you're competing against 30 or 40 applicants who all have a degree.
Employers, if they even give you the time of day, will ask why you don't have a degree.

It's a lot easier if you know somebody who already works there and can vouch for you. That's how I got in with no degree and hobbyist experience with Python and web shit.

A degree is worth less than experience, as a degree shows experience from passionless training. You get a job by being active in software no matter what you do, a degree or being very active. I'd always do the latter because than you have much more experience and contacts at the end of the day.

AND YOU DON'T SEEM TO UNDERSTAND

if you're in america, are willing to move anywhere, and have a decent portfolio, it's actually pretty easy
if you aren't any one of those 3 it's nearly impossible

A SHAME YOU SEEMED AN HONEST MAN

If you have a GitHub page with decent quality code and you don't have downs syndrome, you're set.

Basically proving you can do the job and also interact with coworkers in a productive way puts you heads-and-tails above everyone else.

i knew the CEO of the start up so i can work as an intern for experience

after a year or so i'll branch into a more professional job that'll pay me more

PS - i'm homeless/self taught so if i can do it so can you

Not that hard if you know how to program

If you have connections, it's possible.
Otherwise you should be making connections by helping people out for cheap or free.

Where do you get to know/meet a CEO of a software startup though?

It wasn't even the CEO, just one of the bookkeepers. She's a friend of somebody in AA who happens to know one of my friends who is also in AA and those people stick together. By association, I was recommended to the bookkeeper lady who incidentally had enough pull to get me hired. The moral is know lots of people who run in different circles and make sure those people know you have programming skillz and don't be shy to inflate those skills a little, you'll learn on the job.

PM'd the ceo :v)

how long did it take you as a hobbyist to become proficient? Im running thru this webdev bootcamp on udemy and feel like progress is slow as fuck despite only being a couple weeks in

>More experience and contacts
>When you do 2 years of interning at university + have meet and greet dinners three times a semester with industry people, more if you're getting a decent GPA

Not OP, but thanks for the advice user

not that hard if you are willing to accept shitty wages that's lower than laborers

It's kind of hard to say prescisely since I originally learned just to make one specific thing I needed and once I did that I accumulated more knowledge as needed to do other stuff. With benefit of experience though, I'd say 3 to 6 months for the average person to get a decent command of the syntax, grok practical aspects of looping, branching, object orientation, etc. All that to a good enough level that somebody tells you to do something and you can pull it off without feeling bewildered. A bit more time to grok an entire stack in some domain.

Have a portfolio, a GREAT portfolio.

Awesome, I'll keep that in mind whenever my brainlet ass gets discouraged

Should mention, that's the time for your first language assuming you've never programmed before. A huge part of that is wrapping your brain around higher level concepts, not just the syntax. Your second language will take a week or two.

look at algorithms and data structures because even if you get an interview if you can't solve their problems you won't get hired anyway.

I mean... you won't be able to compete with pic related but I'm sure with a good portfolio you'll get A job.

Attached: ML PhD.png (897x602, 528K)

i hung around meetups and shit.

If you know your shit and can be sociable you can do anything. Just apologize and use your entheusiasm to push you when you don't know an area and be upfront

if you don't know you're fucked but if you know software you can fucking pull it off

Unrelated, is anyone else turned on by women with PhDs? I basically hate fucking stupid women and i prefer women i can actually talk too, does this make me elitist or a misogynist?

Like i'd totally fuck judge judy but not taylor swift. but i've met both and Judy is a judge of the law and brooks no non-legal concessions, i can respect that even though i'm more anarchist and would fuck the hell out of that wrikly ass, but i'd never fuck taylor because she has some stupid fucking opinions

ps taylor mostly posts on /cgl/ and /ck/

this, I met a guy in a bar who was a speaker at some blockchain conference. He invited he there and introduced me to the other speakers which is how I ended up getting my last job.

What do I need to compete with pic related?

Attached: pajeeet.png (176x223, 94K)

read
write
basic math skills
hello world in java

Well genius-level IQ for one (she got into Google Brain's residency in senior year of undergrad) and first-class publications.

i'm going to an event in an hour litterally to shoot the shit with the main guy who used to work bug hunting for a FAG company

i allready have a job i just want to soak up his knowledge and learn more about shit. lets me be more versatile

Do note dear people of Jow Forums: Genius level IQ can be anything above 120 on a regular IQ test.

Only in a third world, where they does not have an HR departments

Alternatively, run your own consulting/sub-contractor shop, but for that you have to be above-average in a swarm of narcissistic idiots. Any Silicon valley-like densely populated are in China or whatever

You won't get high level deeply technical positions, but those are for autists anyway.

It's really easy to get a comfy low responsibility job that still pays fairly well though, even without a degree. Then you rack up experience, express ambition for management, get the company to pay a business degree for you, transfer to management, and you get to boss the autists around while doing fuck all. At least I'm on this path myself.

Oh my kama-sama I want to be one with Lain. I would forfeit my degree and expertise to OP, to become one with Lain.

Attached: IMG_20180428_173553.jpg (4160x3120, 2.92M)

what if I am an autist and want those deeply technical positions but can't get a degree because personal reasons, is there any chance for me? I would really hate to have a job were I don't actually feel useful
but user, the more knowledge and expertise you gain the closer to lain you will be

AYAME FOULEEEE
AYAME FEYLEEEE
HELP ME TO BREEEED

> despite only being a couple weeks in
Are you 15? This shit takes years.
t. 10 years to come, still feel stupid