Hey guys, what's the best language to learn indie game development with?

Hey guys, I wanna create my own fun video games, ideally without any established engine like Unity. I have no illusion of earning any money from this or making this my job, I just wanna make fun games for myself and my friends as a hobby. I've dabbled in Python a bit before but am far from a knowledgeable programmer and can only make basic text adventures at best. So, I was wondering, what's the best language to learn to make games with and what are some good books that covers this subject? Ideally I'd prefer books/written tutorials over videos since I keep my attention easier when I read. Thank's in advance.

Attached: lain_2.jpg (850x1259, 394K)

Other urls found in this thread:

guide.handmadehero.org/code/day001/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Hey guys, I wanna create my own fun video games, ideally without any established engine like Unity.
Why?

The learning process I'm guessing.

Unity is pretty slow and clunky on my computer and it's more about tinkering with stuff and having fun than creating something quickly and efficiently. I doubt that you'd need all the bloat from Unity for simple shmups and platformers.

anime obviously

You could use C# or C++ for most of it, but not using Unity, or any other game engine for that matter, may end up being more of an issue for you than you think.

MonoGame
It open source XNA implementation that actually runs on a lot of platforms.
And it doesn't have those scawy pointers

If you want to learn i think low level language like C/C++ is best. Did you look at handmade hero? It's great

guide.handmadehero.org/code/day001/

And people shipped games with it.
Also OP, do you want to create games or be a computer scientist?
Because really, they're not the same

Is there any way to use Monogame without Visual Studio? I tried it out before making this thread but Visual Studio is a pain in the ass and slow as hell.

Yes.
Just download MonoDevelop

Stick with python.

Thanks. Any recommendations for books/tutorials on learning C# and monogame?

Nobody makes any money creating video games. Pick a real career you fucking nerd

Your first game has to be a learning experience. Avoid making your first game something that you want to expand on. Make something really simple and small like a frogger game or sudoku etc...
Learn C++ and use a library like allegro. Avoid stuff like JavaFX. Try to learn either C or C++ with allegro and don't bother with stuff like ren'py if you're going to make a visual novel since you won't learn much.
Also, avoid wasting time learning scripting languages for unity stuff or other meme scripting languages and stuff that are only used for specific stuff. Eg: rpgmaker stuff, pokemon sdk etc...

But, Visual Studio is the industry norm.
I've never worked on anything professionally (for PC/console) that didn't use VS, from Visual Studio 6 onwards.

If you like python there is always pygame.
If you dont mind learning lua there is love2d.

Just google "game development XNA book" on Amazon. Take a look o the contents and see which one you like the most

For C# there's C# from the nutshell series, and Pro C# which is from those black yellow publishers.
I had one from Microsoft but it was dry.

Agreed. But give VS Code a try, much better.

As I said, I'm not really interested in breaking into the industry or doing this for money. This is just for fun.

Attached: laindance.gif (800x533, 3.69M)

I use it on Linux, along Sublime.
Haven't decided which one I prefer

C++ or C#, but it will be hard without an engine. If you want a good FOSS engine, look into Godot, it uses both mentioned languages and is great for 2D/3D games.

>it's more about tinkering with stuff and having fun than creating something quickly and efficiently
If you don't use an engine, you have to implement all the features from the ground. Why are you implying that it will be "quick and efficient"? It will take you years to even achieve something that works on a minimum level.

The question here OP is: Do you want an abstracting layer for handling graphics, sound input and basic collision detection OR do you want to implement those by yourself?
If (1): XNA, Monogame, Blitz3D
If (2): C++/C# with DirectX/Vulkan

I said that I didn't want something quick and efficient you dumdum.

Attached: lain3.png (1112x1080, 517K)

You are essentially asking how to drink water without a straw.

>Unity is pretty slow and clunky on my computer and it's more about tinkering with stuff and having fun than creating something quickly and efficiently.
Maybe you meant to say
>Unity is pretty slow and clunky on my computer, and this is more about tinkering with stuff and having fun than creating something quickly and efficiently.
Lrn2English queer.

How about you kiss me instead you homo?