Hey guys, what's the best language to learn indie game development with?

Adam Turner
Adam Turner

Hey guys, I wanna create my own fun video games, ideally without any established engine like Unity. I have no illusion of earning any money from this or making this my job, I just wanna make fun games for myself and my friends as a hobby. I've dabbled in Python a bit before but am far from a knowledgeable programmer and can only make basic text adventures at best. So, I was wondering, what's the best language to learn to make games with and what are some good books that covers this subject? Ideally I'd prefer books/written tutorials over videos since I keep my attention easier when I read. Thank's in advance.

Attached: lain-2.jpg (394 KB, 850x1259)

Other urls found in this thread:

guide.handmadehero.org/code/day001/

Caleb Flores
Caleb Flores

Hey guys, I wanna create my own fun video games, ideally without any established engine like Unity.
Why?

Levi Morris
Levi Morris

The learning process I'm guessing.

Jayden Roberts
Jayden Roberts

Unity is pretty slow and clunky on my computer and it's more about tinkering with stuff and having fun than creating something quickly and efficiently. I doubt that you'd need all the bloat from Unity for simple shmups and platformers.

Luke Sanchez
Luke Sanchez

anime obviously

Kayden Lee
Kayden Lee

You could use C# or C++ for most of it, but not using Unity, or any other game engine for that matter, may end up being more of an issue for you than you think.

Jayden Bennett
Jayden Bennett

MonoGame
It open source XNA implementation that actually runs on a lot of platforms.
And it doesn't have those scawy pointers

Gavin Kelly
Gavin Kelly

If you want to learn i think low level language like C/C++ is best. Did you look at handmade hero? It's great

guide.handmadehero.org/code/day001/

Alexander Anderson
Alexander Anderson

And people shipped games with it.
Also OP, do you want to create games or be a computer scientist?
Because really, they're not the same

Carson Gray
Carson Gray

Is there any way to use Monogame without Visual Studio? I tried it out before making this thread but Visual Studio is a pain in the ass and slow as hell.

Isaiah Martin
Isaiah Martin

Yes.
Just download MonoDevelop

Jayden King
Jayden King

Stick with python.

Nolan Lewis
Nolan Lewis

Thanks. Any recommendations for books/tutorials on learning C# and monogame?

Adrian Butler
Adrian Butler

Nobody makes any money creating video games. Pick a real career you fucking nerd

Anthony Moore
Anthony Moore

Your first game has to be a learning experience. Avoid making your first game something that you want to expand on. Make something really simple and small like a frogger game or sudoku etc...
Learn C++ and use a library like allegro. Avoid stuff like JavaFX. Try to learn either C or C++ with allegro and don't bother with stuff like ren'py if you're going to make a visual novel since you won't learn much.
Also, avoid wasting time learning scripting languages for unity stuff or other meme scripting languages and stuff that are only used for specific stuff. Eg: rpgmaker stuff, pokemon sdk etc...

Ian Bailey
Ian Bailey

But, Visual Studio is the industry norm.
I've never worked on anything professionally (for PC/console) that didn't use VS, from Visual Studio 6 onwards.

Aaron Phillips
Aaron Phillips

If you like python there is always pygame.
If you dont mind learning lua there is love2d.

Colton Gonzalez
Colton Gonzalez

Just google "game development XNA book" on Amazon. Take a look o the contents and see which one you like the most

Alexander Hernandez
Alexander Hernandez

For C# there's C# from the nutshell series, and Pro C# which is from those black yellow publishers.
I had one from Microsoft but it was dry.

Easton Lopez
Easton Lopez

Agreed. But give VS Code a try, much better.

Hunter Lewis
Hunter Lewis

As I said, I'm not really interested in breaking into the industry or doing this for money. This is just for fun.

Attached: laindance.gif (3.69 MB, 800x533)

Hudson Robinson
Hudson Robinson

I use it on Linux, along Sublime.
Haven't decided which one I prefer

Ryder Reyes
Ryder Reyes

C++ or C#, but it will be hard without an engine. If you want a good FOSS engine, look into Godot, it uses both mentioned languages and is great for 2D/3D games.

Aiden Nguyen
Aiden Nguyen

it's more about tinkering with stuff and having fun than creating something quickly and efficiently
If you don't use an engine, you have to implement all the features from the ground. Why are you implying that it will be "quick and efficient"? It will take you years to even achieve something that works on a minimum level.

Zachary Bennett
Zachary Bennett

The question here OP is: Do you want an abstracting layer for handling graphics, sound input and basic collision detection OR do you want to implement those by yourself?
If (1): XNA, Monogame, Blitz3D
If (2): C++/C# with DirectX/Vulkan

Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson

I said that I didn't want something quick and efficient you dumdum.

Attached: lain3.png (517 KB, 1112x1080)

Austin Edwards
Austin Edwards

You are essentially asking how to drink water without a straw.

Ayden Diaz
Ayden Diaz

Unity is pretty slow and clunky on my computer and it's more about tinkering with stuff and having fun than creating something quickly and efficiently.
Maybe you meant to say
Unity is pretty slow and clunky on my computer, and this is more about tinkering with stuff and having fun than creating something quickly and efficiently.
Lrn2English queer.

Christopher Adams
Christopher Adams

How about you kiss me instead you homo?

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit