Are these ~5 year old Optiplex towers on ebay worthwhile? ~$200-$250 for an i7-4790, 8-16GB RAM, 1-2TB HDD...

Are these ~5 year old Optiplex towers on ebay worthwhile? ~$200-$250 for an i7-4790, 8-16GB RAM, 1-2TB HDD. I can't build anything equal to these for $200-$250 but maybe they have problems.
Do they have high temperatures that destroy the components? If they function without issue, that seems like a great price.

Attached: 61ykblm7uLL._SX425_.jpg (425x385, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Dell-XPS-8300-Core-i5-QUAD-3-0-GHz-4-GB-RAM-1000-GB-HD-Windows-10-Pro/323832623693
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

For basic word processing, internet browsing etc. its fine but for gaming and anything more demanding you'd be better off with a Zen 2 based custom built.

Most of the time they are refurb'd with the absolute worst of parts. Ram is usually old used junk that doesn't pass memtest. The power supplies are like 250w china crap that can't handle any type of gpu

I bought a old hp elite microtower 8200 and used add2psu and added a 660 ti its really budget friendly and plays all the games I want

The inside doesn't look good with only 1 fan for airflow and i'm not sure if you can add a fan to that case. That is a concern.

Attached: 1146e8b59254ab3a2959ed.jpg (1600x1600, 465K)

OP, the issue with these is the propietary parts.
And I do mean 99% propietary, propietary connectors, all of them besides maybe sata, propietary motherboard and cpu cooler, shitty case that most gpus wont fit in, probably a propietary psu

These can use a 1650 which is the best value GPU right now next to the 570.

This. A320+2200g seems to be the better choice today.

I haven't messed with this particular model but I used to get a ton of Optiplex for free from a local business that I knew the head of security for. They were cheap but they did take a lot of measures that kept dust out even in extreme envornments but very difficult to repair with layers and layers of plastic shielding. They are just cheap because companies buy them en mass and replace them en mass. So thousands would go on the market at once dropping their price to like nothing.
Which, yeah, makes sense. They are usually quite a few generations old, less repairable, and not easily upgradable dye to case design, noisy and hot.

confirmed they use proprietary psu connectors :/ but you know they aren't bad if its on sale my computer only cost like 160$ with all that added you can. I wouldn't buy one for like 200$ you can buy an amd cpu and motherboard and ram and use spare parts most people who build pcs have IE cases storage old gpus

Here:

ebay.com/itm/Dell-XPS-8300-Core-i5-QUAD-3-0-GHz-4-GB-RAM-1000-GB-HD-Windows-10-Pro/323832623693

The XPS line comes with a 460W standard ATX PSU that has two 6-pins and can handle a mid-range card. I've put GTX 970's and GTX 670's in them.

A Sandy quad can still get by.

$90 shipped for an XPS when small form factor shitboxes go for that is a steal.

Got this baby for $95

Attached: Capture.png (822x476, 127K)

There is at least 1 intake fan, maybe 2, one fan for the CPU, and one exhaust fan. Look really close at the front intake. If there were no fans for intake they wouldn't have that grid on the front of the case.

2200G is slower than the 4790 by at least 10%, and you definitely aren't building a tower with a 2200G for $200 after everything.

I am tempted

most Optiplexes that are new enough to matter:

Have weird 8-pin Motherboard connectors
May lack 8-pin CPU power connectors for upgradable CPUs (and obviously no OC)
Have weird CPU fan headers, that make using aftermarket fans difficult
Have weird size Mobos that don't function well outside the case
Have non-standard power button hookups/activity. I had to hot glue the original power button to the side of a case once, that I transferred the mobo out of an Optiplex into.
PCI-E operation is hit-and-miss. I've picked up a half-dozen that worked fine, and a half-dozen that had dead PCI-E ports. I have no idea why they die so much.

Source: I did contract IT, and usually seated Dells at my contracts. I'd occasionally offer to "recycle" older PCs when users upgraded. And I had a huge stack of 3010/9010 PCs from an LTAC upgrading.

Yeah, I bought one for my cousin as a gift, i5 2500k, 8GB DDR3 500GB HDD, no GPU, so I threw a 1050ti in.

its hit or miss i used the original hdd in mine for storage and it died. I don't know you should buy storage too.

These used Dell/HP/Lenovo office PCs are great for budget gaming builds.

sure but change the power supply.

use add2psu and just have a dedicated psu for the gpu and lay it ontop of the tower, that's what I did because you can't change the psus in these

I looked at some pics and they look like TFX/SFF power supplies.

Got one myself for 30 usd its a core2 duo e8400
its been running 4 years straight hidden in my moms attic

that 3ghz cpu runs games that don't require a lot of cpu power fine I owned a g530 celeron and it played 2011 titles fine not AAA titles but still

oops I should say that that cpu is equal to a g530 celeron

I got an SFF 9020 from some dude in Georgia for $57 in total with a Haswell i5, 8 Gigs of RAM, and a 500 GB hard drive. I was going to flip it by installing a cheap AMD r7 350 until USPS decided to flip it themselves and fucked it up beyond repair. The case was bent in multiple places. They managed to dislocate the optical drive and damage the holster for it and the HDD. I didn't even bother turning it on because I was infuriated beyond belief that they fucked it up to the point where I might not even be able to keep it as a nice little set-top PC.

There's a reason everyone was pissed at Intel until Ryzen came along and that was because IPC improvements between releases were marginal at best. You can comfortably game with any i7 past Sandy Bridge.

I have one of those SFF Optiplex with core 2 duo e8400 - 4gb Ram and an 128gb SSD and it's super fast for internet browsing/YT/videos even with the old onboard gpu GMA X4500 HD

Taking old optiplexes and popping GPUs in to them is by far the cheapest way to make a gaming PC. I used the SFF ones and a low profile 1050ti to convert a bunch of my friends off consoles not too long ago. These are very capable machines and unless you are getting an i7 that is not even outdated yet and 16GB of RAM for $200, and then they toss in a case, power supply, hard drive, and motherboard for free. If you want to get a computer that pinches way above it's price bracket, get the used optiplex. On the other hand, you don't upgrade the system. You are stuck with it, if you are happy that's great but a few years down the line when it gets sluggish you will just have to get a new one.

>company is recycling some computers today, will get one for free
>Dell Precision T3400 from 2008
Is there literally anything I can do with this shit? They aren't letting me turn on computers, but I did some searching and the specs should about be:
Q6600
4gb ram (will take 4gb out of another one to make it 8) ddr2
375W psu
No HDD as they're being removed

Ghz i7 16GB ram "only good for word processing"

Unironically end yourself zoomer shill

The 1650 is shit lol. It's even slower than my gtx970

As they are, probably. I had an optiplex and my biggest issue was my graphics card, emulation worked great though considering it was an i7. Once I upgraded the GPU though it was a fantastic budget build

>DE: Aero
>WM: Explorer
kek

Exactly. The issue with Dell or any oem is the non standard parts.

New stuff (warranty), better upgradeability, fully standard components, better power draw, nvmeme, usb-c, etc.
Used parts is also more available now that new gen ryzen is launched. $200 for a tower might take some luck, but $250 is definitely possible.

Server
Gaming rig for the Era
Test platform for whatever