Frens, how do I make this usable?

>pkg_add doesn't support * wildcard
>can't reliably set up kde, gnome
>no sound
>extra mitigations + no hyperthreading
>no file manager
>no graphical text editor (sublime, atom, vscode)
>takes too long to scan devices and boot

Attached: 1200px-OpenBSD_Logo_-_Cartoon_Puffy_with_textual_logo_below.svg.png (1200x781, 180K)

by not using it
>no sound
never had this issue

neither my realtek, nor my sound blaster work, don't know why.

>can't reliably set up kde, gnome
Use cwm
>no sound
That's odd, sndio works better than Pulse Audio on my machine
>extra mitigations
Good
>no hyperthreading
It's just disabled by default. Enable it.
>no file manager
So install one then
>no graphical text editor (sublime, atom, vscode)
Emacs

>cwm
Too minimalistic.
>install one then
I did but, for instance, it couldn't find my phone.
>Emacs
No, thanks. No way to run vscodium?

>Too minimalistic.
Then use something else. You've got a bunch of options.
>I did but, for instance, it couldn't find my phone
So don't say it doesn't have file managers, say file manager X didn't work because of issue Y. You're being incredibly vague.
>No, thanks. No way to run vscodium?
No idea

Rather than making OpenBSD 'usable', why not use an operating system that you think fits your criteria out of the box? It seems counter-intuitive to take a secure and minimal operating system and pump it full of insecure and bloated software. Or as a question - what are you trying to get out of openBSD?

I was amazed at how little ram it uses and the long term quality support it recieves - looks like a nifty OS for programmers. However, I want to make it pass a double blind usability test against ubuntu for programming and aesthetics - just need to solve my OP problems.
>else
Can't get the damned x config files right. Should I just reinstall without xenodm and do it manually?
>because of issue Y
I've no idea why.
>No idea.
So does emacs have lint/graphical tooltips?

>Should I just reinstall without xenodm and do it manually?
You can just disable xenodm
# rcctl disable xenodm
>I've no idea why.
You haven't even stated what FM you tried. Have you tried others?
>So does emacs have lint/graphical tooltips?
30s with a search engine could answer both of those questions

I tried nautilus and the KDE one. The file structure is so weird, my home folder was missing Desktop, Downloads, etc. Confirmed with terminal too.

$ cd ~; mkdir Desktop Downloads Documents Pictures Videos

Ohhh now I see them LOL. Is that a command to see hidden folders?

Fuck off if you’re retarded, you mental gimp.

OpenBSD isn’t a hand holding inclusive OS. If you can’t buy proper hardware and figure this shit out don’t use it.

Linux is a transsexual OS, Windows is only for dumb Pajeets and normie’s computers at work, Gaymers, and other idiots. OS X is gimped and gay.

Fuck you pedo. OP, I’m calling you out as a fucking pedophile.

>muhh exclusive OS I can hide behind
Genuine autism.

>I was amazed at how little ram it uses and the long term quality support it recieves
The bad news is that it's only lightweight because it isn't running a mountain of services, and support is mostly limited to the base package sets.
> looks like a nifty OS for programmers
I'm not sure why you'd think it has any real benefits for programmers. To save you some time, the only meaningful technical difference is tame/pledge functionality you can leverage when writing C applications. The main practical difference is that "libsomelib error openbsd" is going to find you a couple million fewer results than "libsomelib error ubuntu".
Hidden directories start with a period. That command creates directories. OpenBSD doesn't create them by default because they have no real use besides instructing users to organize their files in a particular way. For example, where does code go? In documents? Why do Downloads go into their own folder, only to be moved immediately after the download is finished?

If you're expecting things to work like Ubuntu, you're going to spend a lot of time being disappointed.

So you admit you’re a pedophile.

Based. Thanks user.

No, I'm calling you an autist who needs obscure technology to escape social fear.

How does it help me to escape social fear? Do you have some explanation as to why you think it helps with that?

You just sound like you’re a bizarre person with highly developed inner fantasies. I’d like to explore this with you. I happen to be a licensed clinical psychologist. Tell me about the artists, user. Why do they bother you?

There is no reason to hate popular, successful, and advanced operating systems just because normal people happen to use them as well. I get it, you spent thousands of hours in front of a computer and now need something to show for it, so you use an obscure and difficult to set up OS. Congrats.

OH NO NO NO he fell for the OpenButt meme

Attached: tenor.gif (360x346, 170K)

Hate is something that you reserve for the people deliberately ruining an operating system. If you’re a believer in Shinto, Linux has a kami, representing all the meditation and care given to it over its long defelopment. This kami is being dishonored by shameful display after shameful display, causing the kami to lose face and eventually the kami will withdraw itself from Linux, which will wither and die without a kamisama.

There is no way around it, either this has already happened, or it will happen soon.

Join us, for new technology with strong ascendant kamisama in OpenBSD.

Attached: 4106F63D-FEE4-4113-BBBA-49A1546A60F3.jpg (316x445, 23K)

>installing openbsd to use systemdick-sucking DEs like KDE and GNOME
>installing openbsd to use crapware like sublime, atom and vscode

3/10 if troll
neck yourself if serious