Have you ever used something like this in your life?

Attached: si.jpg (466x356, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldering_iron
youtu.be/5uiroWBkdFY?t=114
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

what is thing thing

Something old people used to use to get rid of wax from their ears.

its anal sex toy

every day for the last 20 years

Yes I've shoved a camera up my asshole before.
*Comment posted from iPhone*

I yeah.
But now you need more stuff if you want to become a hardware hacker.

I use this exact model at my day job. Not very often, but at least once a month. Most of my work there is systems programming nowadays.

in high school yeah

No, but I am planning to. What's a good starter station?

No, if I need anything heavier than my TS100 I'll move right on to a Weller gun

No, those suck ass. Get a Hakko instead.

Attached: 1367942584583.jpg (5000x3115, 1.68M)

to the fella whos starting out soldering you best be getting a 20-30 dollar iron.

fuck yeah but my vape has batteries

A soldering station? No, I use some shitty 30w Goot that gets the job done anyways. I've even soldered SMT with it.

I see people reccomending hakkos to spergs who want to make their own keyboard, it is ridiculous.

I've got a chink clone of that iron on my desk right now.
Soldering isn't hard at all, it takes a couple of hours to get used to it and then you've basically mastered it, when you're soldering physics does all the work for you.
Actually learning electronics is a far greater feat than learning how to use a soldering iron, you should have posted a picture of a transistor or something with "do you even know how to use this?".

Petty much daily since high school, yeah

use flux boys, from a based flux pen ofc also don't flux rossman style.

I used to do this for my job.

You should always use the best tool for the job, user.

Attached: On my way to fuck your bitch.webm (640x480, 2.85M)

that's breddy neat. on top of that also blessed post.

Yes, I have it on my desk now, I havent used it in about a week now.

no i have the shaky hands

of course

Basic electronics and basic electricity required that yes

yeah, I did a robotics summer camp once. personally I hate electronics and circuits, I'd much rather deal with software or firmware

brickfags get in here

Attached: 937d.jpg (781x693, 42K)

That model is awful. Go for pic related if you want a Weller.

I use that Weller at home for console mods.

forgot pic

Attached: 71ptAjBPYzL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1075, 119K)

Just reverse search the pic.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldering_iron

Can someone explain this webm please?Sorry, I'm a brainlet with stuff like this, I just like lurking.

He is applying flux to have the contact be clean before applying the solder, then afterwards hes using laundry detergent scent sheet (kidding idk the actual name) to i guess absorb excess flux that melted?

I have one for the occasional project, done some wiring in a breadboard with my rpi (yes some of us have projects in mind when we buy them)
Now I need a De soldiering gun.

youtu.be/5uiroWBkdFY?t=114

That component has a QFP package. It's a plastic square with pins sticking out all four sides and it is surface-mount soldered onto a PCB.
First they put flux across the pins. Flux dissolves oxides and is necessary for solder to stick to stuff.
Then they melt some solder onto the tip of the iron. Solder wire has a flux core but that gets burned away when it's applied directly to the iron like that, which is way separate flux is needed on the pins.
Then they "drag-solder" the pins, which is where you drag the iron along like that and the blob of solder on the tip of the iron touches the pins + pads and quickly heats them and flows onto them. Pulling the iron sideways over each pin like that pulls excess solder away so no bridges form and solder is pulled towards the hot iron.
Lastly, they brush it with isopropyl alcohol to clean the flux away, and use a kimwipe to help get rid of more of the residue.

I have a nice Weller. I bought it because the soldering irons at uni were junk and I needed a nice flat attachment to do this

You got loicense to use that m8?

car cigarette lighter

The problem with them is that they're twice the price of a Hakko 888 so they're very hard to recommend. I got a 15 year old WS81 which, used, was cheaper than what the WES51 goes for new on amazon...

Attached: weller_WS81.jpg (500x375, 24K)

I use one of these and I love it.

Attached: 6171Y-fZFhL._SX425_.jpg (425x425, 19K)

Also i noticed - the WE1010NA seems to be going for 104$ now, they're probably attempting to to compete with the 888d

Necessity is the mother of invention. This is half of a Weller powered by a cheap-o Chinesium station after the Chinesium iron broke in half.

Attached: how2solder inside.jpg (2000x1616, 570K)

Monica

Attached: 63c.png (568x661, 270K)

What's a cheap chinker soldering iron that can use hakko or weller tips?

It can be a DIY kit.
Don't waste money on a integrated heatgun.
I wanted to get a TS80/TS100 but the custom tips negate the cost.

Must have variable power and a real GROUND PIN.

Not a floating ground with just two AC pins damnit.

yes
my black female lab partner laid the soldering iron ACROSS the plastic housing
subsequently melting it while on her phone

Why are you here
>I wanna learn how to fix phonez

she's an applied engineering major...

hows the brain tumor treating you

Thank you Anons, I understand it better now

You are not real man, if you can solder SMD with this

Attached: 51196718.jpg (1024x600, 76K)

Based. It's what I use.

>I got a 15 year old WS81
I inherited an ancient WTCPT from my dad, thing must be 20-ish years old and still works as well as it did when I learned to use it as a teenager

Fisher Price reporting in

Attached: .jpg (1500x1150, 148K)

Ah, another man of taste

Attached: big-iron.jpg (800x800, 142K)

Nice BGA rework station.

Why faggots are getting some soldering stations with hot air and shit?

I also use this.

Hi woowie

Should have fucked some sense into her.

Seriously good iron make your job so much easier

Is it sod-er or sold-er?

I don't get it.

sldr

The next step down from the FX-888 would be the FX-600, but pricing is fucked up outside of Japan thanks to chinks cloning their older irons.
They slashed the price on the FX-888 to compete against all the clones, but raised the price on the FX-600 (since anyone buying a FX-600 over chinkshit is probably willing to pay a premium for Hakko quality).
Anyway Atten makes a $30 clone of the FX-600 called the SA-50 that seems more or less legit. They have a website with contact info so that's already more promising than most chinkshit.

the only bad thing about it is the stupid user interface

yeah the discontinued analog version was much better. i only got it since it was on sale for $70 a few years back.

Beastiality is a sin.

yes, to build a parabolic microphone

damn thats one clean joint.

>help i cant tell what sarcasm is

My nigga.
Black people call each other niggers because they are niggers.

legit thinking about picking one of these up

sauder if you're American, solder if you're english

Looks pretty good, OP. Personally I use pic related and it's prefect.

Attached: solderingiron.jpg (550x550, 37K)

I have this shitty thing in a box somewhere. Needed an iron in a pinch and it was 20 CAD. The tip eventually melted itself into a hook.

Attached: mastercraft.png (476x461, 187K)

>The tip eventually melted itself into a hook
Ha, just like my dick

Your dick melted?

>Need to desolder some SMD shits
>Some guy is using the good iron to solder a fuckton of ICs to multiple boards and the only other working on has the literal worst tips I've ever used and a microscope that is impossible to adjust to the perfect eyepiece width
BLOOD RACK BARBED WIRE POLITICIAN'S FUNERAL PYRE

Attached: 1560614430688.jpg (678x419, 54K)

Бaзeдoвo

Attached: 1560614536061.jpg (695x931, 156K)

What's the Jow Forums-approved way of storing and organizing parts and components?

I use blowtorch to desolder components.
I have seen some "muh third world" type of thing, and I have seen pajeets desoldering shit from board using propane torch... I have tried, and shit is legit.

I did it for a living building flight critical aircraft avionics and power supplies for the 787, 747-800 and A380. So if you have ever flown one of those and made it safely, you're welcome.

I've got one of the digital ones from RadioShack. It's breddy gud.

SMD soldering with giant tips is the best since you can just heat the entire part up

organize parts by size and put different sizes on different colored stains on your workbench
Solder over an AR500 target and cordon off the parts you're using with a square of rockauto magnets

Would an MRI scan destroy your eyeballs?

Attached: totalrecall.gif (300x165, 1.49M)

They MRI people's heads all the time, so no.

It's a chronic problem with all of their products. I regret not jumping on the non-D version while it was available.

This. Newbies will never understand, meanwhile I can solder drunk without microscope 0603 (metric) SMD

>reusing electrolytic caps
shiggy

Depends. 20 year old quality japan made caps would have lower esr, than new chinkshit.

20... I meant 30.
Feeling old man.

I actually own that exact model, but I'm pretty sure I've only used it once and it was just to solder some connectors on some wires for lights.

I've never been so excited about any microcontroller project that I wanted to move it from a breadboard to a prototyping board.

yea, I work on keyboards as a hobby, regular use is required.

Also soldered some cables and other pcb's.

Attached: CopyQ.OeRQsB.png (796x515, 174K)

Literally just found one of those in a box today. No idea where it came from.

I call it a sodering iron but I solder a joint

>entertainment repair tech
I've built more XLR and DMX in the last year than I could count, as well as a pile of soldered NL4
Hakko 936 with lead free kester solder btw

where do I get that flux, and how much does it cost? is there a way to get it for cheap?