Fags, stop complaining about guix not having your firmware and steam...

fags, stop complaining about guix not having your firmware and steam, make a Git repository called GUR (guix user repository) and keep steam, drivers and firmware there already

Attached: 1557791839475-g.png (1212x1374, 1005K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix
libreboot.org/docs/gnulinux/guix_system.html
ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/#org8524ff7
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_invented_here
ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

k, what was the guide to making packages btw

kissing Suika

nix > guix

See gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix and contribute to it.
Scheme is superior to DSL shit.

>gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix
nice

I couldn't give a shit about muh freedum ,fsf and gahnoo so i'll stick with the superior softwrae

Attached: nixgirl.png (1920x1080, 533K)

Guix makes it pretty easy to package non-free software, as seen by

>dude just copy paste an anime girl to the logo, they'll be sure install it after

>superior

LMAO

good luck with your pointless nonsense language

Why are Nix-bros negging Guix so much? We must unite against the Noobuntu and Archfags, not fight with each other.

Attached: oqv.jpg (1010x897, 69K)

goddamn these brainlets, they will never understand. Here i'll explain what is happening.
I have no issue with guix but stimulating a public and very loud competition between these two beautiful things will attract curious eyes and can only return in more exposure to both of them. The more drama the more bumps, the more bumps the more potential users. It's called fake drama, get on it!

Why would you do that when there's distributions like arch Linux or Ubuntu

Does it use systemd?

This

Just use nix, guix is literally a fork made for muh non-free and you are ruining it. The devs dont want you involved in guix, trust me

This desu

That sounds like high school logic. Are you in high school? The only thing you'll achieve is making both communities look bad. What you should do is post comfy desktops and show how *ix systems make your life easier.

Mad trips you are right. The best publicity is showing what you got.

imagine using the scuffed fork instead of the more polished original

Attached: topkekshelf.jpg (389x597, 37K)

You can do that too c: just being active is what makes things grow. A good thing to point out is that the guy who wrote the book on functional operating systems and who started nix also contributed to guix. nix and guix do not consider each other competitors.

Im legit pissed about the guix shills on Jow Forums being shitty, they lie about nix being non-free and say that guix is not a nix layer

Post desktop.

Well, Nix uses Linux with binary blobs, so it is definitely non-free.

Guix uses some gnu init process called shepard, never heard of this before looking at guix. They seem like they would use hurd too if it worked.

Nix is stuck with systemd afaik

> Tried to install this shit yesterday
> hci0: Missing Free firmware (non-Free firmware loading is disabled)
> Fixing installation errors caused by "muh free software only"

You need to have iq ≈ 0.001 to spend time on shit like that

Nix is a free package manager and guix is a layer ontop of it, it ships with nix

Guix uses it's own modified version of the Guix daemon, it can't possibly ship with Nix.

At least there was some effort with the geeksgirl, what does the nixgirl have to do with nix? Not even the same colorscheme.
You can even see how low effort it was with her border not free of white pixels.

>being this autistic over cartoon drawings
Ladies and gentlemen, behold the typical guix user

Attached: laughingbossfromspiderman.jpg (1280x720, 49K)

>laughing at chink cartoon 'tism
Do you even know where you are right now?

I'm fine with not having firmware and actually happy about not having that steam piece of non-free malware crap. My problem is the lack of LVM support and no documentation on how to make an encrypted install.
Once those problems are solved I can't wait to install it on my to come librebooted thinkpad

On parabola and not ready to make the move to guix proper (just play around with it on a vm) but the following link I have bookmarked for when I make the jump. Might be good to use it in conjunction to the install manual.
libreboot.org/docs/gnulinux/guix_system.html

Oh, nice, thank you, thank you, thank you!

>non-free
>guix
pick one

You can install nix from guix

I think the manual had something about encryption

I have a personal channel with nonfree firmware and linux vanilla. I also have a custom generated iso with that firmware

And you can install guix from nix, and use both!

ye, i use nix from guix. Also have both repos for guidance when packaging

Nix just works

Nice. To anybody else who has done something like this, would this work on a corebooted X230?

Eating Suika

Attached: 4e0f8dac00e28ff2e92171ae65013dd6.png (1200x1200, 820K)

Anything using a shitty DSL as its configuration language is by definition inferior software. Seems like it'll take another 20-30 years for retards like you to grasp this simple concept.

Please tell me what's wrong with DSLs

Sure thing retard, i'll drop using all of html and sql and just become a caveman like you that apperently uses fucking magic to open this website

You have to be literally braindead to not see how limiting the expressiveness of your language (and wasting your time on creating it in the first place when better solutions already exist) for no good reason is a bad thing.

A DSL doesn't inherently need to be less expressive. And sometimes, restricting what you can do leads to better maintainability.
I'm not that user and I'm not saying which system is better, because I've used neither; in fact I'd be inclined to prefer the lisp one just based on hearsay. But that doesn't mean that DSLs are universally wrong.

For 71450318
>html and sql
These are not "DSLs" in the same way the shitty Nix language is, I hope even someone like you can see why. Also, fuck off to webdev subhumans aren't welcome here.

>A DSL doesn't inherently need to be less expressive.
Nothing "inherently" "needs" to be less expressive, but any actual implementation and actual language design of an existing DSL will necessarily cripple some parts of it, hence "DSL", and not "general purpose programming language".
>And sometimes, restricting what you can do leads to better maintainability
Please show me how restricting the configuration language (that's what we're talking about here) for software the user is supposed to constantly interact with leads to "better maintainability" or even better quality software in general?

ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/#org8524ff7

Nothing in that links denies anything I say. You have to be a low-functioning autist to not see how the same words can be used differently in different contexts.

>Nothing "inherently" "needs" to be less expressive, but any actual implementation and actual language design of an existing DSL will necessarily cripple some parts of it, hence "DSL", and not "general purpose programming language".
Are we talking about theoretical capabilities, or practical syntax and available sugar? Because making a turing-complete DSL is trivial.
>Please show me how restricting the configuration language (that's what we're talking about here) for software the user is supposed to constantly interact with leads to "better maintainability" or even better quality software in general?
Would you like it if your operating system configuration was defined in C++? Yet it has so many features even lisp doesn't have (unless you spend a long while implementing them yourself, because yes muh metaprogramming).
If the user can configure the software to their liking, good. If they can implement Doom at configuration time, that's nice, but both unnecessary and can lead to bugs. If you can make it so that they can configure everything however they want, but can't possibly implement Doom, then that'll make most users write much less issue-prone configurations.

And yes of course if you trust users then it's not an issue. But then there's little reason not to just use C++ as a config language. It's so powerful, after all!

>Because making a turing-complete DSL is trivial.
CS first-year student flexing his "deep knowledge" about "Turing completeness" detected. Didn't even read the rest.

hes right

>Would you like it if your operating system configuration was defined in C++?
>But then there's little reason not to just use C++ as a config language.
Seems like you're really bad at reading.
>Yet it has so many features even lisp doesn't have
"Epic".

Guile is a domain specific language for extensions. Gnu (and developers in general for that matter) just suffers from the "not invented here" bias and will avoid trying new things at high cost.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_invented_here

>i'm too dumb for freedom, the post

Same fag.

>will avoid trying new things at high cost
Just like they avoided trying this new way of managing your packages?

nix is free, retard.

The fuck are you talking about? I can write a poor man's pseudo-brainfuck interpreter in like 30 minutes and it will be possible to implement literally anything in it, and use it as a configuration language by reading out the stack after it's ran. Hooray it's a "general purpose language"! It's also a thousand times worse than a restrictive config syntax that isn't turing complete but is well tailored to whatever you're configuring. Like fucking JSON for example. An extension of that with branching is enough for 99% of configuration use cases; how often do you need to use loops or recursion or jumping in your config? When was the last time you used them in configs that do allow them, such as shell rcs or vimrc or even init.el?

It's called "samefag", not "same fag". You're also wrong.

I'm using Gentoo and Void and I'm only itt to shitpost about DSLs

>I can write a poor man's pseudo-brainfuck interpreter in like 30 minutes and it will be possible to implement literally anything in it
CS first-year student flexing his "deep knowledge" about "Turing completeness" detected. Didn't even read the rest.

Guix definitely looks promising. Any distribution that further moves away from Unix is welcome.
That said, I hope they implement features such as USE flags in the near future, as they are the only thing preventing me from jumping ship.
I personally don't have a problem with them not directly providing nonfree firmware or other software: the goal of the GNU project has always been 100% free software, not making it easier for you to use proprietary shitware.
It's not their fault for not providing firmware directly. It's your manufacturer's for requiring the device to use nonfree firmware in the first place.

We can all see that you're retarded. You don't need to explicitly state that.

interesting, I assumed because all these posts are slightly more than one minute apart is the same guy shilling the same shit ideas as he has been all week.

Is Guix a satanist distribution?

Where does that post suggest otherwise, you absolute moron?

Please tell me this post is actual satire of CS students.

>Scheme is superior to DSL shit.
I agree, and that's the reason I always cringe whenever I have to learn some new shitlang for every new configuration file format.
Why so many people bother with making their snowflake configuration language when we already have a tried and true, clean and readable language with decades of research behind it is beyond me.

wow Jow Forums is retarded and even even as a web developer I think so.

Based.

Guile is DSL

>needing 30 whole minutes to write a brainfuck interpreter

Attached: 1559527653926.png (337x237, 40K)

Guile is literally just an implementation of Scheme, which has already existed for decades, plus some implementation-specific functionality.
It's not the same thing at all.

It's not even brainfuck, just "pseudo-brainfuck", whatever that means.

I have never written or studied interpreters before, I'll have to concentrate a bit to figure out how to make sure it works properly without being a totally retarded mess. I'm sure there are standard techniques I could use to just like build an instruction stack and pop things off and spend a total of 5 minutes implementing all the instructions, but never having done that before it's easier said than done.
It means that brainfuck is bloat, you don't need 8 whole instructions (I think it has 8, right?).

>I have never written or studied interpreters before
Yeah, I can tell. You wouldn't write such low-quality shitposts if you actually did.

Thank you for linking this, I'm definitely going to give guix a go :-)

>bloat
This. Based suckless will always continue writing quality and minimal software like mutt, dwm and surf, while the lisptards still haven't made anything which comes even close.

Attached: slcon2013.png (1000x750, 1010K)

you kinda have something similar to use flags, you can make your own channel which edits upstream packages, and add your own entries to the make-flags for the packages. Something easier to use like use flags is coming i think

my emacs does more, performs better and is easier to maintain and reproduce than your unix philosophy suckshit

I need a brief gestalt on guix

go to #guix at irc.freenode

ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/

it's a god-blessed distribution (also guix is not a distribution it's a package manager)

>make a clean guix install
>try to install sway
>even though it's correctly installed, it refuses to start

>start again, make a clean install and select "i3" in the list of pre-installable graphic environments
>sway works in i3 but I can't select it in GDM
>I can't even switch to a raw tty or disable GDM

Guix is not for me.

Some people just can't hack it.

Yeah, I've been running gentoo on my desktop and debian on my laptop for almost a decade now, I guess I don't want to spend time learning a new distro anymore.

i just use a .xsession

What do you mean? Can you use it to bypass the GDM crap?

put exec sway on ~/.xsession and login on your display manager with whatever options you have

>make a clean guix install
>install i3 in the list of pre-installable graphic environments
>works fine the first time
>reboot
>can't startx

Why must I be such a goddamn low iq nigger

Attached: 1559861257569.gif (500x281, 864K)

SystemDiseased individuals

OOOOF