My ISP just tripled my internet speed out of nowhere. 48 hours in and no sign of it coming to its default settings

My ISP just tripled my internet speed out of nowhere. 48 hours in and no sign of it coming to its default settings.

Should I tell them, Jow Forums?

Attached: 2019-06-16 00.09.15.jpg (767x624, 30K)

I turned off the modem and then turned it back on to see if the error would be fixed.

this is the result

Attached: 2019-06-16 00.18.13.jpg (144x71, 3K)

This is pretty common lately as ISPs bump service tiers to compete with fiber offerings. It's likely that you live in an area that isn't a monopoly or is about to shortly stop being a monopoly, and your ISP is proactively defending against its competition.
I know that's a scary and new concept to you because you've probably never witnessed an ISP having competition, but it has been happening a lot lately.

They're the only company providing fiber in my city and there's no sign of any competition. I've been a client from day 1 but so is my cousin but he's still got a 20mb/s speed, the same my contract offers. This is an error, right? It will most likely go back to the 20mb/s download after a few days, right?

Long as your bill don't change be fucking happy for the free bump. My ISP did that.

Did they tell you though? I left my house to cut my hair and when I got back my 150gb download was already finished. Those bastards never make mistakes like that.

and here i am with only 100 down and 10 up for 65 dollarydoos here in shithole western ny with no other option that is better than this unless i move out of here

That's actually disgusting how is that allowed? I get 150 up and down in ny for less than that

B-but the net neutrality shills promised we'd have slower speeds and pay more once net neutrality was repealed

Attached: ajit.png (540x672, 259K)

stay strong, user. I had a 4mb down for years before they came to my town.

Just download 25GB in less than 10 minutes when it used to take a whole day.

Only thing they said was that they were doing "upgrades" city wide so service may be out for periods during the work. Nothing about speed bumps. Bill didn't change any so hey all good for me.

>complaining about 100 down and 10 up
Here I am with 3mbps, you fuckin' cunt.

Meanwhile my piece of shit pozzed out ISP keeps lowering my speeds.
Fuck at&t and fuck comcast

>only 100 down
Kys faggot i get 6 down and ~0 up

My ISP which is really the only one with FTTH bumped up my speed twice
First it was a deal for half priced 100mbps which made it cost less than their 50mbps plan
Then at the same time the deal expired they changed the 100mbps plan to 500mbps so at that point I was paying the original price for the 100mbps plan but getting 500mbps instead

I see. It's still really recent so I won't get my hopes up.

There's in fact a company coming to town selling the same speed at the same price, but I didn't think they would give customers a bump in speed. I'm a client from day 1 but I wasn't expecting this at all.

>tfw great download but shit upload

Speeds are consistently over 100MB/s download on servers that can handle feeding me that much, but damn the upload.

Would absolutely love to start offsite backups with all my work projects but it totals well into the TBs and it would take fucking ages.

Attached: 2019-06-15_23-38-03.png (692x169, 18K)

They did this to everyone here with the excuse that if you choose to receive your bill by email they would give you 100 MB (my contract says I'm on a 60mbps plan but it's actually 200mbps). What made me surprised is that they didn't increased my cousin speed but I got a 300mbps bump. Like I said before, I even turned everything off to see if it was some kind of error on my end but it's not. I won't contact then because I'm not an idiot.

They're testing capacity in your area, you actually do them a favor by using that bandwidth
Expect it to go back to normal within weeks or even days
Odds are that they're expecting competition so they might bump speeds in the future or testing their backend for 5G

No, they were saying that content providers would get charged for "internet fast lanes", giving the services owned by the ISP (or parent company) an unfair advantage.
And it's already happening.

I see. I hope someone is monitoring all the nasty gokkun torrents I'm downloading.

Didn't Comcast do this where they bumped everyone up a tier but increased the bill so you got no deal at all? It was just a scheme to increase margins.