What are the chances of the PS5 SSD in actuality being on-par or possibly even slower than a cheapo 120gb SATA SSD?

What are the chances of the PS5 SSD in actuality being on-par or possibly even slower than a cheapo 120gb SATA SSD?

Attached: Capture.png (983x687, 200K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gamesindustry.biz/articles/kutaragi-claims-ps3-could-run-at-120-fps
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Remember how Sony claimed the PS3 could do 120fps? Lol. They're lying shitheads.
Seething incels. Are computers not technology?

Attached: 1540520776440.jpg (689x720, 297K)

0% brainlet /v/tard. it's obviously using some sort of PCIE 4.0 SSD which none are currently are available for the time being.

What if it's optane with pci-e 4.0? I'm mean I'm 100% sure it's not because that would be too expensive.

This
Sony is known for false claims and fake hype.

No they aren't. Sony always delivers.

They always lie. Like how the PS4 pro is playing games at 4k but the internal rendering resolution is far far lower and close to 1080p.

This. They already said it was based on Zen 2, that should give it away immediately.

>Sony claimed the PS3 could do 120fps
Sauce

PCIe4.0 SSD.

The maximum bandwidth of current SSDs is what?

Or they arnt following standards at all and theyve doubled up on rx lanes while halving tx lanes because youre going to be reading gaymes alot more than you are installing them and saving a game goes straight to the "cloud" these days so local storage isnt used for jack shit.
I wouldn't be surprised if you plug that thing into a pc and it just fries the motherboard or drive and it will be designed to do so on purpose.

I think it's going to be "PCIE 4.0" in hardware configuration only while the speeds are probably closer to a typical SATA 6gb SSD. Or it's going to be m.2+ fast but you only get like 120gb.

It's probably just a pcie4 ssd, could AMD have connected a SSD controller via IF or put it directly on die though? Both the xbox and playstation seem to be using it as a selling point for their next consoles. A while ago marvell was playing around with some hardware level system that used SSDs to supplement RAM without involving the OS.

Meant for

before I make a new thread.
is this shit worth it?

Attached: MZ-V7S1T0BW_001_Front_Black.jpg (800x600, 51K)

You seem to be confused.
/v/ is for playing video games.
Jow Forums is for building gayming computers and for shills to make their aplel and samshit posts here per their contract with gookmoot.
real men hang out on /sci/ and /diy/.

most likely PCI-E 4.0

>A while ago marvell was playing around with some hardware level system that used SSDs to supplement RAM without involving the OS.

Intel is planning to have Optane DIMMs that work as standard DDR5.

Attached: 2_678x452.jpg (678x290, 34K)

This isn't likely, we have VROC cards which take up an entire X16 slot of 4.0

Designing an entirely new SSD isn't within Sony's engineering capability, they will use some kind of RAMdisk tech based on StoreMI because it's Navi/Zen 2

They never said it does true 4k. The whole idea was a cheap upgrade for 4k tvs never tvs advanced so quickly within the last few years. Microsoft took that a leap further and made it a big deal. Sony just marketed it as a no biggie unless you really wanted it.

I also remember them saying ps2 had toy story level graphics. Meh.

They will use NVDIMMs

I wouldn't be surprised if it exceeded SATA 3.0 speeds. It's likely going to be cheap qlc nand though.

Who are you even talking to?
and to answer your question yes. They could have saved money on m.2 connectors and dedicated boards and put the ssd directly on the motherboard.
They did this with some xbox 360s that had 4gb of internal storage. It was as useless back then as it would be now.
Doing it this way though, assuming they followed standards, will allow for them to swap the ssd when doing console "repairs" and allow people to upgrade the storage in the future.
On the topic of dumbass designs, the xbox slim wireless module is actually a dedicated card that plugs in using some retarded nonstandard/common connector. They could have simply used usb, but no. That would allow parts of the thing to be used after the console is useless. They could also have put it on the mainboard and ran the antenna out, but no. Fucking pajeets amirite

>That would allow parts of the thing to be used after the console is useless. They could also have put it on the mainboard and ran the antenna out, but no. Fucking pajeets amirite

They do this so retards don't plug things into the standard port that shouldn't be plugged in

No, you can get a 2TB SATA SSD for cheaper than that and you're not going to see a speed difference 99% of the time.

what the fuck is that even supped to be?
it looks like someone took a stick of ram, and attached a mini Pentium 2 to it by breaking off floppy sliders and using them as paperclips.

Attached: L_Intel-B80522P266512 (front).jpg (980x609, 150K)

optane dimm

If they just attached it through usb then it wouldnt be an issue if "retards" took out the wifi card and put in another external drive or plugged in whatever the fuck they wanted. Who the fuck are they to say you cant plug random shit into a console that already has 4 usb ports for random shit.

This isn't hard to figure out you fucking brainlets...

"raw bandwidth" ... All that means is that it will have a PCIe 4.0 interface.

Which is fucking obvious being as both next gen consoles will almost certainly be using Zen 2, which as we all know, supports PCIe 4.0, and that means: higher "bandwidth".

But bandwidth and actual performance are completely different things. So i'm expecting some very mediocre NVMe-type SSD using a 4x PCIe 4.0 interface. So it'll have higher "bandwidth" than any current PCIe 3.0 NVMe drives on PC, but performance wont compare to something like a Samsung 970 Pro, for example.

And the moment we can buy Zen 2 (very soon), that Sony bandwidth claim will no longer be true. By time time their shitty console arrives the PC will have had PCIe 4.0 for almost 1.5 years.

Mystery solved. It wasn't fucking hard was it? You just have more than single a digit brain cell count.

Attached: Brainlet_Sony_Hype_Train.jpg (645x729, 57K)

Pretty much this

Attached: 3-23-14.gif (3470x2470, 2.35M)

Sony at it again with putting too many overkill hardware in a fucking gaming console and selling at a loss.

PS5 will have some sort of proprietary PCIE4.0 config designed specifically to work with the 24gb of DDR6 system RAM, it's going to be faster than the 970 Pro.

450 or 500 dollars is probably the release target

they learned their lesson this time

The controller may well be integrated into the SoC, and at minimum it'll be integrated into the board, so that'll save money and perhaps increase bandwidth. Also they'll do everything to prioritize read speed why not giving a fuck about write, so that'll help the read side. Also they won't worry at all about longevity (a game console will never thrash the drive enough to matter), and they also will prioritize sequential read/write. So lots of ways to improve things when you're using it in a targeted application like this.

It will have more raw bandwidth because it will be a PCIE 4.0 which are not out yet (but will be for a while by the time PS5 hits). However, they will likely skimp big time on everything that isn't pure read and write speed, leading to an inferior product than anything above low range for PC.

As always, it's all smoke and mirrors, console retards can't tell NVME from SATA anyway, so all they need to do is make sure they have one big number (might even be just read with shit write, honestly) they can plaster on advertisements and they're good to go, 99.9% of their customerbase is too dumb or young to notice something's up.

Attached: 1550289525040.jpg (221x250, 5K)

Could be worse.
Microsoft is planning to use theirs for virtual memory.
As in a swap file.
On media with limited write endurance.

How's 2012?

>Sony at it again with putting too many overkill hardware in a fucking gaming console and selling at a loss.
just like the xbones
both sony and ms make money with software for consoles, not the hardware

Feels very quadruple the endurance per cell.

If you're retarded; Sure.

gamesindustry.biz/articles/kutaragi-claims-ps3-could-run-at-120-fps

Pff... my old 486 can run games at 120fps.
Granted they look like pic related for that kind of performance but at least I'll be up-front about it.

Attached: igb.png (640x350, 4K)

>They never said it does true 4k.
They never said it was true bandwidth. So it could be the PCI 4 bus that's higher bandwidth than anything.

Most likely they will in fact use a small NVME ssd that won't be especially fast. It definatly wont be over 128GB. Paired with a HDD.

I'm sure Sony has lied about performance before but this is literally the first time a console will have elite hardware in it. Ps3 and 4 had shit hardware. This fucker has 24gb ram or something, insane.

Might be custom XPoint Intel Optane shit?

>while the speeds are probably closer to a typical SATA 6gb SSD
>literally using KingSpec NVMe SSDs

I'd say pretty low. Most likely it'll have relatively cheap PCI-e 4.0 NVMe drive.

Naw he's right. Throughput is way more but seek time isn't much difference so you don't notice that much. An hdd has 40 an SATA SSD has 0.4 and a NVME has 0.02 or something like that. The difference from hdd to add is massive so ssd to NVME isn't that much. But I still recommend getting one if you have the money & want one, you'll only help make them get cheaper & hopefully take over in the next few years

raw bandwidth is just PCIe 4.0
its been tested - good for linear read speeds, but it has no effect on real-world performance like game loading or boot times

Attached: firefox_NNC4J8OsNr.png (748x903, 121K)

This

Sony has lied through its teeth before every single console release. I'm sure THIS time will be different, right?

brainlet

They don't have to "design a new SSD", they just have to stick a controller, some DRAM, and some NAND on a board and wire it all up. That's literally what they already do with lots of other shit on the board, and what pretty much every manufacturer of laptops, mobile devices, and many PCs already does. Also DRAM is orders of magnitude more expensive per GB than NAND and what you are describing would be basically useless for a console which primarily will need to load new textures very quickly to reduce load times and texture pop-in.

This, and anyone saying anything else is retarded

The fastest NVMe SSDs reach about 3-3.5 GB/s sequential read

>videogame company can create hardware that is better than what is available for enterprise
>when PS4 was cutdown bulldozer, GCN and 5200 rpm hdd

No.
Get normal m.2 SATA.

Be fair, the cat cores were actually a very good design* and have nothing to do with bulldozer.

*for netbooks and the like

Not a chance with how hot these units will run. SSD's start to thermal throttle and I have no doubt shoving one into these toasters is going to make it slower and upset a lot of people when they fail hard and fast.

if the entire bus including the SSD space is being designed around a unified memory scheme then that's possible. but that would also mean it can't be upgraded via off the shelf parts.

another reason to avoid first batch of these next gen consoles

the Scarlett will also eliminate the loading times.
AMD is the maximum Jew, it clearly competes with itself now.

Sony tried to trademark "Let's play", honestly fuck them.