Why do you need MacOS for DAW compatibility? Every shitty dj or wanna be from guitar center recommends me MacOS

Why do you need MacOS for DAW compatibility? Every shitty dj or wanna be from guitar center recommends me MacOS.

Attached: 20170101_140234.jpg (4032x3024, 3.48M)

Other urls found in this thread:

reaper.fm/
bitwig.com/en/home.html
urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=White Knight
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If you're asking basic questions like this that demonstrate your complete lack of knowledge about DAW options, it's no wonder they were offering you the Fischer-Price option. They don't want your retarded ass coming back in with questions.

Audio is a clusterfuck on both Linux (pulseaudio, ALSA, JACK, OSS, etc.) and Windows. On Mac, audio is extremely simple, mainly because it doesn't have to worry about a multitude of hardware option, since every Mac is the same.

CoreAudio's also historically had much lower latency, though I've been hearing that Windows has closed that gap in recent years.

Windows has caught up I'd say. The ASIO support is superb, latency is absolutely minimal.
The audio settings could be more advanced though, I guess.

Its literally historical and out of habit.
CoreAudio was a long time the only serious audio implementation for music production, but thats years ago.
Now its just 'GOTTA HAVE APPLE BRO'

Also, Avid (the Apple of music production) and Apple are 69ing each other for decades now.

>Its literally historical and out of habit.
This. Windows has caught up, and even Linux works fine for most applications.

>Linux works fine
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
enjoy your fucking audio latency and no VSTs LOL
>b-but WINE
Introducing more latency and compatibility problems ? AHHAHAGAHAHAA

>CoreAudio was a long time the only serious audio implementation for music production, but thats years ago.
What was the actual technical reason? I was trying to read about the reasons the other day but it didn't make a lot of sense. They were talking about latency and number of virtual instruments but it looked more like they were testing how many virtual instruments could be synthesized and the latency in render times, which you would expect to be CPU bound. The music software obviously plays a collection of instruments separately which then have to all be combined together to form a single stereo waveform that is fed to the DAC. Do the programs not combine them or are they just hurling 50+ sound sources at the driver and expecting it to figure things out?

CoreAudio was designed from the ground up to work well with multiple audio sources and lower latency audio. It’s a higher quality driver that came from working with a narrower hardware set. If you only have 3 or 4 devices to make drivers for, they tend to be better quality.

It works better because it handles requests from other peripherals in a manner that doesn't handicap any other components while it resolves the requests. You will pay a lot for this experience, I do not reccommend it. Also, if you are interested in using cracked VST's then the releases for Windows are far easier to find and are released more often.
Good luck finding new Eventide or UAD cracks on Mac.

Anyone suggesting Linux in any form or manner should be disregarded, the options are Windows or Mac.

>Why do you need MacOS for DAW compatibility
You don't unless you are using Logic, which is a very bad DAW imo and the opinions of the vast majority of users. Reaper, Studio One, Ableton, Cubase, Reason will all outperform it, Reason with some issues though because of the closed... idk environment... it doesn't play well with some 3rd party things.

The reason for the CoreAudio's better performance is because of the buffer size involved in ASIO audio packets, CoreAudio does not use the buffer packets so the process is latency "free".

A decently powerful PC is without doubt the best option (imo). High quality peripherals (RAM, SSD etc) will be a much bigger performance increase than a better CPU for example. Because of the serial nature of audio, your PC will be immediately bottlenecked by the peripheral that communicates the slowest.
If you are looking at a Mac, consider that you could easily get higher quality components for Windows for a similar price and this will give you the options that come with Windows. If you are tracking live bands, its probably best to go Mac because you will end up having issues with tracking at the slightest amount of latency. For electronic music, Windows is definitely better.

Mac is not the fischer-price option, it is a very good option but not for everyones tasks.

What are you looking to do with your rig?

>It works better because it handles requests from other peripherals in a manner that doesn't handicap any other components while it resolves the requests. You will pay a lot for this experience, I do not reccommend it. Also, if you are interested in using cracked VST's then the releases for Windows are far easier to find and are released more often.
I don't want to use it just trying to understand the bottleneck. So for example, the user configures the music how they want, a bunch of virtual instruments play it, all of those have to be blended together at some stage, does the application do it or does it just send the audio driver a bunch of separate outputs and expect it to combine them? Presumably there's a latency as the sound data is sent to the DAC so the CPU must complete all synthesis with enough time left over to send the data.

On MCUs I work with we have PWM resolutions that are measured in picoseconds so it's hard to understand how high powered computers are struggling outputting stuff measured in milliseconds.

Linux has been ahead for several years, but it's far from easy to configure. Ubuntu studio has jack configured out of the box.. but the only real time OS is of course on the linux kernel. most catered toward CNC driving & vehicles.
This board is for people above 18 years old, please do not post here for the next several years.
reaper.fm/
bitwig.com/en/home.html

It's a limitation caused by ASIO being a bit shit and its interactions with Windows.
Windows, when receiving a request from a peripheral such as GPU, it will stop the ASIO packets from being read at a speed fast enough to become the original audio as it goes through the DAC, so we get digital distortion (pops crackles etc) because that is the information that was rushed into the ASIO packet.
The audio is sent from the stereo bus to the ASIO packet into the CPU and then to the DAC.

I don't really understand at a deep enough level to explain deeper than that.
What are working with in relation to the MCU's, is it audio?

dont be a macfag.

Lmao you answered your own question within your question.

Do what you think is best and stop listening to failed musicians.

>Why do you need MacOS for DAW
You don't. Tech illiterates fall for all kings of memes.

Regardless of how gay his post sounded, he's absolutely right. It's shit and will always remain shit.

Now kindly refrain from posting ever again.

>What are working with in relation to the MCU's, is it audio?
Electric motor controllers, actually you can make crappy audio by varying the PWM freq to the audio tone you want.

The ASIO thing is some proprietary driver from an instrument company isn't it? Niche software aimed at pros is usually absolute crapware. The popular hardware used in conjunction probably sucks as well.

don't try to white knight your retarded post, loser.

>doesnt know what white knight is
>The ASIO thing is some proprietary driver from an instrument company isn't it? Niche software aimed at pros is usually absolute crapware. The popular hardware used in conjunction probably sucks as well.
I have no idea but its the best available for Windows. I use external audio with very good drivers (RME) but compared to the competition (coreaudio) , ASIO sucks dicks.

urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=White Knight
>I didn't get it
it's ok buddy, not everyone is good at reading

you're implying that its his own post but when you white knight you are trying to defend someone else
you dont white knight for yourself thats just samefagging kek

You're both faggots