Be honest - you only use Linux to be part of a perceived seekrit club for bragging rights

Be honest - you only use Linux to be part of a perceived seekrit club for bragging rights

Attached: 1200px-Tux.svg.png (1200x1414, 259K)

I use GNU because it is the most usable OS. I can't think of an alternative outside of macOS, which only supports certain hardware configurations.

My first computer (Eee PC) ran Linux, and I somehow like it better than Windows. I'm not into gaming or video production so all software I need runs on Linux too.

Loonix is for commie redditors who think everything should be free because they can't afford anything

Attached: 1545341843576.png (289x289, 41K)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I know you're posting from a linux machine right now user. Please stop shitposting

>I'm not into gaming or video production so all software I need runs on Linux too.
Video editing could be done using something like Openshot or Kdenlive. Games that come through Steam work, Valve made sure of it. It's current year and GNU+Linux can do both now. I know you said you aren't into them but I'm just saying they wouldn't even stop you anymore.

kys bootlicker

I am new to Linux, it's faster than any windows machine I have ever used.

I have literally used Linux as my daily work OS for software development for the last 15 years. Before that it was Solaris and SunOS. Doing programming on windows is a special kind of hell.

Which distro and DE are you using?

No. I use it because:
1. I can download and install whatever I want or need with simple command (or a few button clicks in a gui) instead of dicking around downloading installers and clicking through menus like on Winblows or giving my credit card info to Apple.
2. I don't have to sign up for bullshit to be able to update my OS or install software (Apple requires an account to be able to use their app store)
3. I can have a first-class package manager instead of a third-party/aftermarket package manager that could just be blocked overnight by the OS vendor. Chocolatey and Homebrew are not supported by M$ nor Apple.
4. I read the EULA for Windows installation. And by using Linux I preserve my freedom without sacrificing moral integrity. I'm immoral in other ways, but not in this way.
5. I have easy access to any and every programming language there is. This was very important when I was in school because I didn't have money to buy a compiler or a nice IDE back then.
6. I actually do like the desktops in Linux better than the Windows or Mac desktops. Obviously ricing is nice to have especially if bright white themes (impossible to escape on Winblows and Mac) hurt your eyes. I've used many different desktop environments on Linux over the years: Cinnamon, KDE, Gnome, bare-bones AwesomeWM, Fluxbox, Unity, XFCE and others. I like variety.
7. Terminals are actually very nice in Linux. CMD and even Powershell on Windows were, for a very long time, absolute garbage. If you're a programmer you'll be using a terminal. A lot. So this is actually important to me.
8. Hardware support. The only driver I have to install is the binary blob for my nvidia card (because I choose to, not because I have to!) On winblows it seems like every time I do a re-install I have to hunt down some bullshit drivers (don't get me started on the situations where I had to manually install the drivers for ethernet and wifi adapters!) I've never had to do that on Linux.

I use it because it's unix

free software is about free as in freedom

No. I use Linux because I am fucking smart.

what sex feels like?

I changed to it for educational purposes, then realized I wanted to dual boot but didn't want to start over by formatting and installing Windows first. So now I just run Win 7 on a VM and use it for certain apps. I haven't tried gaming through the VM yet though; I dunno if I'd need to set up a GPU passthrough or if it'd automatically do it.

Sour grapes. The post.

You can resize ext4, but then you have to update the grub or whatever load the kernel.

No, I use Linux because Windows is goddamn terrible.

Attached: sxsx.png (680x683, 358K)

Windows 10 and its window manager has a higher memory usage + lots of problems that lead to high CPU usage + its practically spyware and requires 3rd party software just to turn that off. On most Linux distros there aren't these problems and it respects my freedoms.

>I haven't tried gaming through the VM yet though
Have you tried simply installing Steam natively and just running steam games directly on Linux?
I haven't even considered booting Windows for games ever since steam came to Linux. Well, ok, I was lusting over PUBG a while back, but I didn't break down and use Windows.

>Be honest - you only use Linux to be part of a perceived seekrit club for bragging rights
Actually, I only use Linux at work. At home, I use macOS and Windows.

jew detected

Tell that to the thousands of engineers you dumb fucking nigger kike

>you have to give your money away to a corp or you're a commie
what a retard, true capitalists use linux because giving money away for no benefit is a sin.

Nope. I find it to be great for productivity when it comes to programming. I do freelance full-stack development, and manage numerous Linux web servers. The terminal has become my best friend.

>bragging rights
You shouldn't have to brag when you are selling the benefits of a product or service. Believe it or not, many of us aren't as autistic as you.

I've started using it because some years ago i lost all remaining trust I had for Microsoft. Surprisingly, linux is pretty good.

I'm actually considering changing because the Inteljew, adobejew and microjew are going to make me snap and shoot up a tech company.
Even thing of (meme aside) installing gentoo without any linux knowledge because I heared you have full control and no Jew around to tell you how to use your computer.

i use it because they provide software that i just need, i could do it in windows and i like windows too but linux is just most comfy as an OS

So salty today, Microsoft.

Attached: iuselinux.png (485x250, 24K)

I use Linux because I generally find it significantly more functional, efficient, fast, flexible, customizable, and understandable compared to Windows. Overall, the computing environment is much more pleasurable and efficient for me. If I -really- need a particular piece of Windows software, it's trivial to dual boot or use a VM. Particularly with the state of Wine these days, and the convenience of Lutris, however, I very rarely need to do so.

I used it because it was requested in college and then in work. I liked it and never looked back.

Not really, it's because nearly every server out there, except those managed by idiots or some active directory domain controllers out there uses Linux.

I administrate Microsoft SQL servers for a living, privately I use Linux, because it is virtually hassle free, just works and works, even on old machines and it does exactly what I want it to do which is much needed with my autism levels. I never regretted switching, I never will use Windows again privately but instead insist they pay me cash to touch that OS.

>Be honest - you only use Linux to be part of a perceived seekrit club for bragging rights
I'm curious. Does anyone EVER use Linux for these reasons?

stop coping

Nah, I use it because I like the control it gives me over my computer.

I didn't want to pay for a new licence so i went from XP to Linux

Using Linux dosn't make you smarter. Its not hard to use or install(Gentoo and arch linux that means you)
It's just a way for you to feel entitled about yourself

Attached: brainlet.png (413x549, 71K)

Entitled to what?

See

nah, I use it for a more seamless server and dev stack. its also comfy to configure.

>Using Linux dosn't make you smarter.
On average, those who use Linux know more about computers than those who use Windows. Denying this proves you're a brainlet

Disclaimer: I don't use Linux.

also powershell is aids

i use gnu because i despise pajeets and faggots even more than niggers

Who are you quoting

I use it because it is a better programming environment, also window managers are nice.

>use Linux to be part of a perceived seekrit club for bragging rights
No. That would be the Arch and Gentoo users.

based and redpilled

Attached: 1555739731185.png (679x693, 254K)

Currently using PCLinuxOS on a C2D on main PC even with towers with i5. Not a status or or bragging thing as that linux OS is not in high reguards or demand. It just works for everything my gaming box could do minus the games. This is more a security thing as I am protected pretty well from viruses with Linux, Waterfox with uBlock Origin and NoScript. I use normal Chrome with 1 bank payments because they are anal fucks. Moving towards an i5 system with MXLinux in the next few weeks. Not because I have to but more it is a good idea after so many years and to try out new things.

Attached: Running no issues.png (790x507, 89K)

this guy gets it

Attached: huh.png (326x483, 171K)