Will ARM replace x86?

Will ARM replace x86?

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-02/apple-is-said-to-plan-move-from-intel-to-own-mac-chips-from-2020

Attached: arm-chip-1200x0-720x720.jpg (720x480, 38K)

No

Why not
Arm chips are light years more secure tgan x86 based chips

Yes, wait few years till Apple will slowly move their Laptop segment towards own A arm processors and watch how everyone else will follow them as always.

that's because they're light years more primitive

For most consumers I'd say yes, and in the near future. The snapdragon 8cx seems like a very capable processor and the battery life of devices that use it is much longer than on equivalent Intel devices. More programs will start to be recompiled for ARM too so you can expect lots of improvements in the near future.

There are already windows 10 arm devices if anything apple would only be helping with adoption since people will follow them no matter what they do.

theoretical peak of silicon will be gradually reached by all chip manufacturers. intel won the race, now the others are eventually going to get there themselves. AMD has come in 2nd place. ARM might be next to cross the finishing line.

What then?
Quantum chips?
Redesigning chips?
Arm already beats amd and intel in power consumption

>Quantum chips?
nah. graphene

On ultrabooks and other low power long battery life devices yes
Maybe on some HTPC or or ultra small PCs
Other than that forget it

Dubs of truth

There is so much pre-processing of the instruction set before it hits the actual registers in a modern x86 processor that you might as well say that x86 is already dead. Behind the scenes, so much is going on in the CPU that has nothing to do with the instruction set.

Jason Snell has already called it in a recent blog post.
He explains that Swift and SwiftUI will become the default development tools across all Apple operating systems.
Once this becomes fact, switching the processor out from underneath the software will prove relatively easy.

>Arm already beats amd and intel in power consumption
And for that reason it has it's purposes (i.e. mobile) but there's more to computing than power consumption, I wouldn't want to render a video on ARM

core 2 duo came about due to repurposing a mobile chip

Improved software will be the only hope of improving performance if Moore's Law dies.
No more interpreters running on a web browser in a fat, flabby OS.

I can see it happen for low end laptops or internet only laptops.

most of the laptops/computers run primitive stuff, like youtube and serf in general, so it should be considered a replacement

>apple
>make standards

wake up, apple making standards for at least 15 years

Yes.
Apple is doing it.
Microsoft has been attempting for a while, with a bit better results each time.
System76 is working on ARM stuff.
Google uses ARM in Chromebooks, which can apparently be converted to full GNU/Linux desktops with a bit of fuckery.

I say it's only a matter of time.

Consider the following:
ARM for "customer" grade "computers"
x86 for enthusiasts and professionals
How does that sound? Normalfags could be serviced by rpi or stronger atmega chips or other RISC devices for facebook and excel.

Yeah, until normalfag decides he wants to play FIFA Footsoccer Manager 2029 or his daughter wants to play Barbie RTX edition.

yes, over time. depends on when developers make enough shit that runs on it. just a matter of time

Its already on servers tho

Should I get ARM or zen2 laptop this summer?
zen2 has hardware fixes for spectre and meltdown.
I don't think those affected ARM much?

>How does that sound?
Shitty, because all x86-compatible parts will be uppriced as fuck. It would be like that time when Intel HEDT processors had their own socket with incredibly overpriced motherboards.

instead of putting the desktop on mobile, apple is putting mobile on the desktop.

Copy and paste the full article user!

Apple is making their own chips based on arm to replace x86 so they can have more control over pricing and applications ported to it.

>I don't think those affected ARM much?
They do.

I think it's far more likely AAPL is using ipads as a stepping stone for killing off the mac, rather than going with a new cpu for the mac. Expect to see a giant 30-inch ipad running xcode within the next couple of years.

Unironically a good thing.

arm already lost the war against x86 once
if it happens again arm will lose again

ARM had its chance to replace x86, but it took too long and now RISC-V will replace ARM.