Why don't we do the same with houses so we can always live in new house?

Attached: 1530192665687.png (1157x814, 853K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zdh7_PA8GZU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoebus_cartel
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There’s a light in my old room at my parent’s house that has never went out for over 30 years

>designed to burn out
No, they were designed to produce a usable amount of light. There's that one lightbulb that's been on for 100 years or some shit in a firehouse because it's dim as all fuck.

>he doesn't know about lightbulb cartel
There was literally world wide conspiracy.

why would for example Soviet block cared about such conspiracy?

cause the jews own real estate

You think LED lights dont break?
Wait until they heat up just enough on a hot day or there is moisture in the air.
They fail often enough and are pricey enough that I want to go back to incandescent.
In case if you are teenager Op *
not everyone lives in USA.

Oh look another screenshot thread.

If It goes out you die
It's bloc sweaty

This
For 60w of power that bulb produced only 4 lumens

Even if the cartel wasn’t around, the material science and manufacturing at the time wouldn’t allow you to do much better
Sure you could have built a bulb that lasted twice as long but not with the same lumens per watt

What the fuck are you on about?

I wait until prices are right and bulk bought some LED & compact florescent. Thing about regular bulbs is that if there is not a good flow of electricity they will break in a 6 to 12 months. Friend had issues and I replaced a whole friends house in LED I had in a bucket. Paid me current price vs I paid so made 2x back, woo. 3 years later and they havent had to replace a single bulb. "Why CF bulbs" they are fantastic for garages and sheds vs LED.

Americans do exactly that with their cardboard houses.

>The Lightbulb Conspiracy - Planned Obsolescence
youtube.com/watch?v=zdh7_PA8GZU

>mfw the lightbulb lasts longer than the house

Attached: 1555181694776.jpg (1242x1743, 815K)

That's easy as fuck, just use a bad electrolytic capacitor in the power circuit and poor ventilation.
All of the CFL lamps I used died with a yellowed from overheting case.

>It's bloc sweaty
Your point?

Soviets were making all consumer goods heavy duty as fuck, my grandma still has a cast aluminium vacuum twice older than I am and it still works.

Soviet planned economy had no concern for planned obsolescence and would love to keep the precious tungsten, but the lightbulbs still burned out.

An ancient wooden black and white tv still turns on as well.

Attached: vasuum cleaner USSR.jpg (842x1200, 758K)

>watch this youtube conspiracy video and you'll see I was right all along

Leds themselves last very long.

Have you ever had the red power led burn out in any of your devices?

The power circuit however could be engineerd to last for centuries or fail within a specified time window.

That's not how it works. Everything is made to last only as long as the warranty lasts. My grandpa worked for one of the big electronics companies and told me about how the orders came down the pipeline in the 80s to start using components that would break shortly after warranties expiring. Lightbulbs have no warranty, so they're just made to last as short as possible.

This is a completely conscious and willed development. A washing machine made in the 50s will still work. A washing machine today lasts maybe 10 years. They both wash clothes pretty much equally as good. Planned obsolescence is a thing and there's no excuse for it, the only reason is greed.

>made 2x back
great friend you are

>Have you ever had the red power led burn out in any of your devices?
I have

a 20mA LED lasts indefinitely because it's not handing the amount of current it needs to light a room, dumbass

>leds break
Quit buying chinesium bulbs, I’ve changed every light in the house for leds in 2013 they’re still going. One of them was 27 bucks from sylvania and weighed nearly half a pound due to the aluminum heatsink it had. Good bulbs cost more than a few bucks each, buy name brand and spend more than five bucks per bulb.

Attached: A3011CEF-0D92-42A4-9DCC-AE1749A47767.jpg (700x836, 142K)

Fair trade, told her I would replace any bulb that died for free. I am far better than any store warranty. I do the same with rebuilt older laptops. I take pride in my work and parts I gather to make them run better than the shit put out today.

fucking retard
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoebus_cartel

It isn’t a conspiracy in the sense that it is s collective theory, it was a conspiracy in the sense that a group of manufacturers actually conspired to produce a result all across brands, they agreed not to compete on quality, that actually happened

While the topic of LED is relevant, can someone please explain to me the following? We bought some Phillips branded LED bulbs for lamps from Home Depot. The bulb assembly doesn't get warm but god damn the junction or whatever with all the regulation warnings and specs on the side gets hot as hell. What on earth is this? How can these LEDs be efficient if they're throwing off that much heat? What are they doing? Converting AC to DC?

The plebbitor thinks conspiracies cannot exist. That's the way they actually think over there. Complete delusion and madness. Don't try to reason with plebbitors, they don't have any. The only thing they'll listen to is Bill Nye the Science fag.

BUT user THE WORLD IS ON FIRE!!!! WE NEED TO SAVE IT NOW OR WE'LL ALL BE DEAD IN 10 YEARS!!!!

In a non-stupid device all of the leds would be connected in parallel and when a couple of them fail the lamp would still glow.

In the real world however they are connected in series and one dead led breaks the circuit.

But anyhow designing the new special bad leds would be a lot harder than just using a bad off the shelf capacitor in a poorly cooled case.

All the capacitors have datasheets specifying their life expectancy under certain temperature and engineering a capacitor failure in a certain time frame is as easy as a highschool physics problem

>Phillips branded LED
that's the problem right there, avoid Phillips

That doesn't really answer the question. I could avoid this brand or that brand all day long but I want to know *why* this happens.

Yeah, save the world by paying more taxes and getting rammed up the ass by retarded bureaucrats. There's a reason why plebbitors love the idea.

The main issue with current bulbs is the shitty thermal design
The waste heat from the driver and LEDs are almost fully contained within plastic on most designs, the issue is exacerbated with any fixture that is remotely closed

LEDs still have waste heat
It's not that they pull alot of power it is just the little bit of waste heat produced isn't being dissipated well, which causes the base to get hot

>What are they doing? Converting AC to DC?

Nailed it friendo.
Leds and cfl run off low voltage DC.
There's a tiny ac-dc power supply in each and every bulb.
When a bulb fails it's actually the supply.

>friendo
user, don't make me blush... ^.^

>happened
still happening to this day and will do so in the future

there is a reason why your average fridge only lasts 5 years

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

>shitty thermal design
Its intentional.

If they wanted to they would make the whole light fixture with a high quality PSU and the bulbs that only contain the leds.

But tgat would be antisemitic

eat a dick fag

I've noticed most people think that "conspiracy" equals "conspiracy theory" (which then often is pretended to be equal to "lunacy").

Attached: girugamesh.gif (200x200, 500K)

>pretty much equally as good
Naw man.
The old ones do a better job.
They waste WAY more water and power though.

I love this truth and normies just can't see it.
>Buy a fridge in the fifties
>No regulations on the coolant or excessive taxes
>Lasts forever
>Shit, our company can't survive on this
>Hippies complaining about non-existent problems
>Perfect
>Throw up a bunch of red tape to make the products worse and put in massive barriers to market entry
>You are one of very few (if not the only) manufacturer of your fridge
>Constant cycle of defects, keep getting to sell more fridges
>Put up a bunch of ad campaigns and donate to the hippies so they can go plant trees in the mountains or some shit
>Play it off like you're saving the planet when you're literally a parasite to the market

You really haven't said anything to refute me saying that you couldn't build a better bulb if you wanted to, yes yes planned obsolescence and all that but even incandescent tech has it's limitations

>works on my machine

bad juju

Power hasn't even fluctuated once in 30 years?

>[citayshun needehd]
Everyone has noticed the deterioration. It's not something I have to prove to you, plebbit.

>average fridge only lasts 5 years
Kek, the one I have is well over 10 years old, though recently the defrosting has stopped working.
I intend to just clear it out and fix it, but I don't have anywhere to dump the food until winter comes again.

>there is a reason why your average fridge only lasts 5 years
14-17 years actually. But keep stockpiling that tinfoil.

>actually thinking there's a planned obsolescence conspiracy and failures aren't merely a consequence of using the cheapest materials and methods

every time lol

there's a joke that people in east germany would get a raise for making a product last twice as long while in west germany they'd get fired

the phoebus cartel and banana conspiracy are the most plebbit things though, they hit the front page monthly

Attached: bsm.png (1920x1080, 3.45M)

I have had that question for years. Sure leds don’t put out as much heat as incandescent but they put out more heat than cfls while using less electric, doesn’t make one bit of sense

leds are more efficient at generating light than cfls even with the wasted energy from the power supply

>the phoebus cartel and banana conspiracy are the most plebbit things though, they hit the front page monthly
I'm talking about the spiritual plebbitor. The "I fucking love science" type. The guy who worships science he doesn't understand like it's some sort of weird religion. The guy who has nothing in his stunted little brain other than an intense euphoric love for his government and corporate owners.

Reddit used to be normal till it got weaponised for political purposes and it became an ever lasting summer, just look at the front page now it’s such an extreme political left ideology going on there that it is unbearable even for centrists. Even lefty coworkers of mine can’t stand Jow Forumsall.

fair enough

those are the same thing

>conspiracy
Dude, it's documented and taught in schools.

What's the brand and model?

Unless the bulb has a thick piece of metal inside and produces barely no light, I don't believe.

You’re buying a conspirancy told to you on a game of telephone, I worked in refrigeration, refrigerators last ten years if you keep them in a room in direct sun light as well as in hot conditions like the one I put in a shack at the baseball field, those fuckers had ac in there but it quit so instead of turning it off they kept the ac on as well as the thermostat which made it basically pump heat inside the building it was like a 100 degrees in there and the refrigerator right under the vent, yeah sure it may make it only five years but I had fridges that were well over twelve, same goes for bulbs, you can’t buy shit and expect stellar quality. The most surprising thing to me is that a lot of shit has stellar quality.

LED lighting has to be the worst that technology ever offered. I can barely drive at night anymore because of the fucking glare from all the LED lights in cars. Also LED lighting tires my eyes very fast and I refuse to use it at home.
Is there an explanation for this? Or I am just getting old?

It’s only intentional in the sense that they make the bulb in such a fashion because that is what the market is willing to pay for.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoebus_cartel
>They had intended the cartel to last for thirty years (1925 to 1955). The cartel ceased operations in 1939 owing to the outbreak of World War II.

Look I believed in this shit when I was 17 and had watched zeigheist, too.

It's actually sort of scary. Last time I tried having a discussion with some alternative to mainstream viewpoints I noticed how plebbitors now like to answer with armchair psychology and some bogus studies instead of arguments. They mostly want to talk about -why- you have an alternative viewpoint and how it's deviant. What do you say to something like that? It's fucking kafkaesque and deranged. These people are actually out there, and there are more of them than you'd think. Basically the substrate for a new Soviet.

It literally isn’t the same, you can’t buy shit bulbs and expect the quality of a bulb that costs five times more

You're just too young to know. You think 12 years is a long lifespan for a fridge, but that's a low lifespan for a 60s fridge.

Look around dumbass
We are well past the age of the cartel and even bulbs from well respected brands never got a bump in lifetime and if there was it was always at the detriment of lumen output
Take studio lighting, its something that you would want to last especially if you have overhead lights you have to service but they last only a few hundred hours at most because we demand 500-750w from the fuckers

>what is CFC
retard

blue halogen bulbs and people adjusting their headlights to point up instead of at the road just ahead of them are to blame

I guess it’s the result of voting on comments literally results in a hivemind type mentality, some subs are awesome though I fucking love data hoarders in fact I believe most of them are people from Jow Forums

>In a non-stupid device all of the leds would be connected in parallel and when a couple of them fail the lamp would still glow.
This would really be quite expensive, there's a reason it's almost never done in any application. It would also be less efficient.

the cartel did its job even after it went away, everybody just decided that 1,000 hour lifespan is acceptable for incandescent bulbs, long life bulbs did exist though and they were sold mostly to the industrial sector where a few hundred lumens didn't mean shit over frequent bulb changes
studio bulbs are an entirely different beast

Im 32. Yes google put it on my profile. I lived both in the USA and in Europe for a good length of time, I have seen fridges from the 70s still working in the 90s and seen fridges from the 50s still working in the 2000s, it also depends how you define working, they got cool but didn’t get cold, they had issues with moisture build ups, I worked in commercial refrigeration we had fridges from the 90s working 24/7 and they were cold as fuck manufacturer warranted them for seven years and they easily outlived the warranty, but don’t bring the conspiracy idea into refrigerators, a refrigerator from the 50s not only uses more electric than one from today it also does not stay as cold as constantly as one today you’d have a lot of ups and downs compared to a new one, you also have unbearable noise, they also used to be a major pocket book purchase, today people have two of them because they can’t bring themselves to toss a working refrigerator, they buy the new one because it’s quieter and cools better

LEDs die on by themselves thanks to chinchon semicon control

Too stupid to understand planned ob$ole$cence the thread

Attached: 1558973451779.jpg (480x480, 19K)

More like “I have decided to view the world through the lens of conspiracies and will not think for myself considering costs, purchasing habits, nuance and anything else that implies unreasonableness on my part”

>don’t bring the conspiracy idea into refrigerators
Actually I know it's a conspiracy from personal experience, but I can't prove that so whatevs. Conspiracy is a big word for it tho, it's just these corporations choosing electronics components with a predictably low lifespan over components with higher lifespan. If you think this sort of thing is a conspiracy you're in for a ride in our society, because this is the norm in the corporate world not some weird, fringe behavior.

>the lens of conspiracies
spotted the plebbitor

When it comes to things people buy, don’t attribute malevolence to what can be attributed to “the cost of what the market will bear”

psst.
your mom change it when it dies.

There is malevolence though. Greed exists and pretending it doesn't only makes it worse.

This.

It is a 30 or 60 watt bulb that now emits the equivalent amount of light as a 4 watt bulb. It stays on all the time (has its own backup) and is in 24/7 temperature controlled building meaning that it is exposed to minimal thermal expansion.

Attached: centennial light.jpg (600x900, 52K)

the LEDs almost never die, the driver does. the driver is also why LEDs flicker. the only way to fix this is to make driverless LEDs.

Attached: .png (640x418, 75K)

You would have to use 50 of these bastards just to replace 1 60W incandescent in lumen output
That is 3000 watts of power

>LEDs never die
but they degrade over time, so who even cares about them dying?

I had just the opposite. Chips die, while driver still works. I ended up shorting dead LED...

Also a lot of complications in recent times has been added to refrigeration due to old refrigerants being banned. R22 was versatile as fuck and had much lower requirements for the compressor and expansion valves. Compare it to the refrigerants of today and the ones planned. I remember reading about the plans to use CO2 as refrigerant (r744) and the required pressures. Ya, that shit is going result in a lot failed parts and maintenance.

>It's the reason they flicker!
>He says, posting a driverless circuit that would flicker

So make one that lasts longer numbnuts and prove your point. I'll wait.

Would R290 propane be a thing that would be viable at all?

I don’t argue it doesn’t exist, but this idea of cartel for planned obsolescence today does not overcome the costs it would entail. I believe in the power of the consumer to drive the market and the choices available. Consumers hold almost all the time nearly all the power, you vote with your wallet, the issue that arises here is that most consumer spending isn’t rational and only based on what a product does and if you are unwilling to accept that the vast majority of the consumers who drive the market simply don’t care that a product will fail or does not accommodate their useyrt they still buy it, I can’t blame that on greed. Perfect example of this is Apple.

A stupid fuckig capacitor would fix it

It would fix most of the flicker but it would still flicker slightly
LEDs are too sensitive to voltage changes to not flicker on anything other than a constant current supply

>there's a reason it's almost never done in any application. It would also be less efficient.

Why?
How did you come to such conclusion?
Every led strip is just two parallel wires with 12v and any number of leds between them.

can we talk about houses instead?

CFC (R12) fridges are still working fine.
What really happened is fucking R134a, which is absolute garbage refrigerant, which will clog capillary tube after 5 years. of use. Also, fact that many fridges started using press fittings instead brazing contributes to leaks.
Really modern fridges are different. Isobutane would be 10/10 refrigerant, if it wasn't flammable. It doesn't clog shit, and runs on pretty low pressures, which make compressor last longer. But they aren't making as they used to make them. Copper is being replaced with aluminium, aluminium is being replaced with thinner aluminium... And now, this is not a fridge, but a fucking bomb, considering they use flammable refrigerant and leaks.
No, shit is too flammable for aircons. Crazy russians though replace R22 with R290 without changing a fuck and have no problem.

They are currently developing HFOs based gas that will replace R410A and R32. For cars they had already replaced R134a with HF1234yf... Which produces HF acid when it burns.

It already is in use some applications where the compressor is designed around it. I have heard of people using propane as a R22 replacement but usually the oil used in the compressor will be incompatible and will break down due to the presence of propane.

>soviets
>capable of making anything that works good apart from t-34s and aks

>R12
now that was refrigerant

Attached: k.jpg (1000x1000, 97K)