Many of the tools you use every day are based on Electron or similar frameworks, including Slack, Visual Studio Code...

>Many of the tools you use every day are based on Electron or similar frameworks, including Slack, Visual Studio Code, Spotify, WhatsApp, Discord, and more. Electron has eaten desktop apps whole, and native apps—like, say, Pages for Mac—have struggled as a result. More macOS apps than ever are based on web technologies, and Apple wants to change that.

Is this the first based thing apple has done?

Attached: webshitters vs itoddlers.png (1119x821, 605K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pavelfatin.com/typometer/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Perhaps

FUCK electron

Electron is slow ass bloat

I like what Apple wants to do which is fuck Electron but the problem is that to do that, they need to have buy-in from all desktop OS makers and if history is anything to go by, Apple is fucking terrible at doing something like that. Basically, they have a great idea but because of "muh closed garden", it won't work.

FUCK anything that ends in .io

Quite frankly, I expected them to do the opposite.
Apple is very influencial and tech companies just follow everything they do, if you like it or not, but it has been like that forever.
It would be very refreshing to see them cause some positive change for once.

Attached: hlkchk6w0fv21.jpg (714x577, 239K)

I'm glad apple killed off flash

Microsoft will rebuild electron as Core.net app that compile to native code AOT and reduce memory consume by magnitud order and add reactive programming plus massive fast GUI.

it's ridiculous how expensive .io domains are too. I got a personal .net domain for email and If I wanted to get .io one I would have to shell out 6x the money.

can someone explain to me why electron actually exists, I can understand writing in javascript because you need to, but why would you want to run a desktop application as a browser tab? if there's no justification on that level, what's the historical reason, just that people wanted to port """webapps""" and then.. wanted to use javascript? idk, maybe I just can't understand using that pile of shit, is there any kind of reason? obviously it's popular

Attached: javascript.png (699x1048, 1.25M)

There is justification. Electron apps can be built in a language most people are familiar with and be used across many different form factors (web, desktop, mobile) with little to no modification. It saves lots in development time and cost.

right, so if you want a web and a desktop version, like whatsapp or whatever, makes sense I guess. VScode I do not understand though, unless there's a web/mobile version I'm unaware of

IIRC there's some shared code between Eclipse Che and VSCode.

It allows a complete idiot to write a program that will run exactly the same on every desktop platform.

lowest common denominator programmers and """bootcamp""" graduates. I assume. If it's electron, i don't use it.

of course, naturally
ah, the convenient cycle of good hardware supporting worse software, letting you save money/time on develop{ers,ment}, while getting people to buy better hardware to run your shitty software. is javascript that easy then, once you know it? or do you mean its portability is easy for a brainlet to understand

wtf i love apple now

Companies can now use the same codemonkeys for everything: backend, frontend and desktop.

It's not so much that Javascript is easier than other languages, it's just that it's so prevalent that there are more resources for idiots to be able to understand it.

hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa iToddlers BTFO

who gives a shit about desktops lmao
electron is all about letting mobileshit idea guys pretend their garbage web apps are desktop applications, if a platform like iOS shitlists them that's all it would take.

Useless for anyone not using OSX or iOS. OP tricked you fucking retards.

this makes me genuinely happy in a way that few things do. thanks op. your cool!!!

Attached: 1559271672928.jpg (1073x1041, 101K)

>hay guyz, we're putting the desktop back together
I'm cool with it. I'm tired of having to spend internet bandwidth to do fukken anything today.

Attached: 1429395326604.jpg (500x615, 91K)

This will be basically a proprietary Dart clone, right?

It's cross-platform, and doing graphical application development with HTML, CSS, and JS is particularly easy.
Only thing that comes close in terms of sheer "hammer a useful desktop application out in a week" ease has to be fucking C# with WinForms or oldschool VB6, and those aren't portable at all.

Really, the idea wouldn't be quite so bad if Electron wasn't so fucking fat. I'm really kinda surprised they didn't go the way that Java and .NET did, where there'd be the "Electron Platform" instead of a whole copy of the browser for each program.

It's as if those retards look the most bloated way of doing things and pick it.
Qt could be a good candidate but the proprietary license stops many from using it. Only freetard s/w uses this shit.

Bootcamp nu-devs justifying their retardation with muh fast hardware. Also lack of proper universally accepted way of developing cross-platform GUI for native applications.

>Internet bandwidth
Imagine living in a country/being in a financial situation where it matters

microsoft already tried this with uwp

Because GUI libraries are fucking shit and HTML/CSS is pretty decent and universal for UI design. XML forms are for niggers and imperative code is dogshit ugly.

Fastfood is the best and the most appropriate metaphor.

Don't whine that your code is sick

No.
It is Swift-based tooling done right. Think of MS and C++

lol no. The key there is that SwiftUI is native code, not a fucking .Net

fucking kill it. Fucking kill these Javascript desktop apps

Why, Appel is full of PhDs. They know their shit.

>fruit only wants proprietary apps to shackle users to their overpriced hardware

OMG so based! just like slavery! bow down to your white overlord and owner Tim Coock!

Attached: aaaaaaaa.png (352x449, 356K)

Electron street shitter detected.
Don’t you have an android thread to shit in, pajeetranny?

Attached: aaaaaa.png (813x1402, 250K)

KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL

Attached: webshit.png (603x589, 95K)

Based apple. i wish them luck in kicking JS off the desktop.

>too daft to separate technicality from money-driven strategy
who needs brain when you have corporation to tell you what to think, just open your wallet and your ass cheeks wider, proprietary is good for you, slave!

when were you when you realized prototyping apps in classic GUI libs were faster then webshit ?

i was in living room eating C# butter when billgate ring

"why you use winforms u can use electron or prototype web app"

"no"

still not bloated enough, new phones and computers wont sell themselves!

>VScode I do not understand though

there is not much to understand. MS writing desktop code that works with non-Win32 is the exception to the rule. Making an Electron app gets around the issue and its also convenient that they aren't pushing IE and Edge in the manner they used to.

Electron apps ship over 200mb of fucking runtime files. This shit needs to die!

You could make yourself a Swift app, doesn’t have to be proprietary.
You’re one to talk about corporate overlords when you’re shilling against one corporation at the behest of another.

Dilate, poo in loo, have sex, then kys.

qt is bloated though, you have to ship with 100MB+ of dll

130ms lag for every keystroke though

Source

pavelfatin.com/typometer/

can't see VSCode in there

>inb4 it's atom
No, show me proper stats

no, use the program to benchmark vscode yourself

it has improved since last time but it's still unacceptable. also takes ages to launch.

Attached: vscode.png (400x120, 5K)

vscode launches in less than a second for me
maybe get a real computer to do work on

>dude upgrade your i7 to run vscode
predictable response

a second is still 60-something million operations by the way

i'm sorry you can't afford a proper computer, user
maybe one day you'll become employed and these sad days of coping with having to use inferior tools by being contrarian on an anonymous forum will be finally over

I'm ready. I was ready when atom was released

Apple is such a wanna-be contrarian piece of shit nowadays. They always do the EXACT OPPOSITE of what I plan.

>It's fucking inefficient
>Throw more hardware at it until it runs
Low IQ pleb tier thinking

>building electron apps

using inferior tools decreases productivity which ultimately costs more than a good enough PC, that's why nobody ever cared about muh minimuhlism shit
don't worry user maybe you'll understand when you're older

>current year
>caring about a few kb worth of internet traffic

>building mAc Os aPps

> Not using a better programming language

>bro, dashboard! a web view laid over everything! That's the future! html everything!
>duuuude, web apps! iphone will run only web apps! everything will be made in html!
>t. steve jobs

>fuck web technology, also fuck dashboard
>t. tim cook

>Not caring about efficiency
Pajeet, pls

On Intel only hardware, yes?

Top kek, mate. Pic related, it's you.

Attached: 1560537096883.jpg (480x853, 141K)

what the fuck are you talking about?

Go program, now.

If your text editor can't run without lag on 20 year old hardware, strongly consider blowing your brains out

if you're doing programming using an editor with zero refactoring tools, no realtime linting, no fast project-wide code navigation, etc you'll want to blow your brains out when you finally discover better tools exist
reading posts like yours is just sad, really

Spot all the neets in this thread who don't have the slightest fucking clue.
If someone came along and paid you $10k for a cross platform desktop app, every single one, repeat EVERY.SINGLE.FUCKING.ONE of you will use Electron to build it.

Attached: 1555223909656.jpg (500x597, 43K)

Immature and childish

It's pretty much that or Javapoo, which will get just as heavily mocked here.

Yeah. That's a major drawback as well. At least Qt uses C++ (mainly) which is a lot more fun than JS.

This. Every single way of developing a cross-platform GUI is bloat anyway.

I'd use Qt.

it's a text editor, user

a text editor

a text editor shouldn't be maxing out the bandwidth of DDR4-3200

You'd stupid, Ivan

i prefer things to run faster with better hardware, not slower or the same perceptible speed
i prefer to be able to run a greater number of programs with more ram, not fewer or the same number
i prefer to be able to store more things with more disk space, not fewer or the same number

what do all of those have to do with keystoke lag? i use msvs and it doesn't have vscode's lag

fuck yourself

I'd use FLTK or themed Tk or Qt.

It depends. I probably would use PyQt, because it wouldn't be much slower and definitely will use less memory.

All this emphasis on asynchronous operations yet applications are DOGSHIT slow and unresponsive.

On fucking OSX?

It'd be faster.

What is your point?

why else would you expect from a chrome tab with megabytes of React-like bloat in it?

just because ancient software you're using is incapable of utilizing your hardware doesn't make it any better
for example try opening a large source file in vim with syntax highlighting enabled and see it lag like a motherfucker

thats entirely on retarded developers, i had to dig into atom source a bit and it can't into async to save its life, everything locks everything all the time. that's why it works like shit, not because of electron.

nice to see the part where user claims that the chromium instances and the javascript frameworks which give vscode its unreasonably hefty hardware demands (just like all electron apps) are actually "vscode utilizing hardware to its full potential"

stop fanboying your fucking shit. it's text editor. it's just a text editor.

a hello world application in electron with a single "button" (which is probably god knows how many recursive tables and divs being manipulated with layers upon layers of javascript) is fat and laggy. it's electron.

i'm yet to see any argument on why hardware demands of vscode are unrealistic which don't involve austic screeching about 20 year old hardware and other lame arbitrary shit
>top fanboying your fucking shit. it's text editor. it's just a text editor.
you sound like you're jealous irl, i'm gonna imagine you angrily pounding the keys of your t420 from now on, ok
you don't have to use any bloated JS frameworks to make an electron app. you don't know what you're talking about.

seething bloated fatty 1GB text editor

awww. just because 1gb is half the ram your computer doesn't mean it's a lot.

Companies will stop using Electron, or I will make them stop using Electron.

It's about paying peanuts for dogshit coders, which is why nearly all tech startups use Electron.

It's about businesses falling for the latest meme. Decades ago it was SQL, now it's microservices, electron, etc. There's always some "new" technology your company "needs" to utilize to protect their data assets/leverage webscale technologies/immanentize the eschaton.

And then every faggot with a macbook follows suit and uses electron for their hobby applications because that's what all the trendy companies with humanized PR use. Because you need electron bro, it's "fast" to write for, bro.

They killed flash too so no.

>sql is a meme
based retard

Unironically pic related.

Attached: 1541781648696.png (644x800, 15K)