You cannot kill C

C has come to practically define the entire computing landscape at the moment.

C is the de facto standard for not just writing Operating Systems and kernels, but also how APIs are presented to the developer and user.

Languages like Java for example, generally you’ll write 99% of code in Java, but you also get the opportunity to call C code too, via JNI. Just about any serious language/runtime lets you do this. So if we can consider languages like cars, i.e. Java is a Toyota, Python is a Honda, JavaScript is a PT Cruiser etc. then C isn’t just a language, it’s the roads.

There are many different Operating Systems, but one thing unites practically all of them, and that is C, not just in using it, but using how C presents calling conventions to just about everything else. Even esoteric niche OS like Inferno, you’ll write all software in Limbo and run on the dis runtime, but if you want to drill down to the hardware, or extend the OS, you’re into C.

Operating Systems not written at least partially in C are a rounding error, it’s a tiny fraction of 1%.

At a systems or hardware level C doesn’t just dominate, it really sets the rules for the whole game.

A lot of programmers (especially beginners) don’t really notice C, and don’t really notice where it’s used, but I compare that to this:

How often do you stop to notice the ground under your feet?

Attached: 1560699489180s.jpg (235x250, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eJ7HP7fpnW8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Python and OCaml/Haskell is the future. If you go to conferences, that's all they ever talk about.

Imagine your car having to be compatible with a steam engine

imagine driving an electric car with no charge stations

C is the language of the elites. All other languages are for scum.

There's literally nothing wrong with c++

c++ isnt american like c is

*rust

youtube.com/watch?v=eJ7HP7fpnW8

it lacks designated initializers for structs, which mean C is a higher level language

shitty community, no increment operators

Reading "The C Programming Language" right now. It's okay but it's basically just a bible of the language. Is there a good list of exercises and projects to tackle that use C? I need actual practice not just information.

t. retard

I could care less for C, its just another programming language. Whatever gets the job done.
I like kotlin since it runs on anything and produces easy to analyse for correctness code. For mini AI solutions I use mercury.

all that matters is that your language links

>what are constructors

go to projecteuler and solve them with C

Bro I actually own a Stanley Steamer and I have to tell you it is a neck breaker and an overall good time.

>Inb4 super dangerous
Yeah if you are a deaf blind person sure, but then should you really be driving?

Haiku is pure C++. Using the C FFI doesn't mean you have to use C.

a posix system also requires a c standard library

designated initializers are cooler and sexier and less rendundant

> imagine being this guy
not having macros to obsfuscate using incremental opperators and for loop is such a hassle

I agree, but constructors predate them and you know how it is with backwards compatibility in these languages.

I'm getting comfy with C++ at my job, really digging its async threading model so far.