I've had it! Installing gentoo!

Hi Jow Forumsents
I'm fucking pissed. Memes aside, I am going to fucking install that shit you've been spouting for so long as a joke. Have been a windows user all my life so I don't know what I'm in for. All I've heared is that it's hard, but atleast I will have total control over MY OWN LAPTOP. I have done everything to stop these Jews at Microsoft, Adobe and Intel from gaining access to my computer be it either through changes made in gpedit.msc, regedit, services.msc etc. Yet these kikes still override my changes just to install their fucking bloat or how they call it "upgrades".

Upgrades my ass. Seems more like planned obsolescence. My boot is now longer, my cpu throttles more and the cpu fan blows harder putting an even more higher strain on my battery. All this to boost laptop puchases for more devices fixed with Microsoft and Intel garbage.

So I was just wondering...:

-if either of you knew where I could get a crash course in linux?
-if linux is even a viable OS? Heared there was a backdoor set up in linux which hasn't been fixed to this day.
-if gentoo is even viable as a beginner who is interested and likes solving hard problems?
-if gentoo is even worth it for multitasking? Isn't it suppose to only be used for servers?
-if I should fully wipe my SSD? Heared that windows 10 is a rootkit and will fuck up any OS on drive
-if I fully wipe should I have specific hardware drivers installed?
-if I'd be able to have a fully functioning laptop running (with my little to non experience I have in linux) till my next school semester starts (september)?

Is Gentoo even good for a Student laptop? Or should I get a different distro? I need it to mostly to run Excel, (alternative to Adobe), IntelliJ, Vivaldi Browser, Mathlabs and other CAD programs.
I hear the scientific community is changing to linux so I hope in the future more engineer based programms will be availabe for this OS.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (800x450, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3RdmN87mSuQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Does choosing one of these distros even come into question?

Attached: gentoo eco.png (2500x1037, 408K)

- practice is your crash course
- yes, it is completely viable. One security issue is still much better than windows.
- for beginner: probably not. Still, try it. But yeah, it's exactly for those people
- multitasking? Hell yes. Not only for servers, but for people who want full control over the software they use via e.g. USE flags.
- you don't have to. Windows should not fuck up your installation.
- yes. But with gentoo, it requires a lot of reading.

Things to do before installing any distro:
>understand package management
>know what drivers you need
>know what packages repos have
>understand how you can recreate all or most of your workflow
>know how to set up Xorg and a DE
>know VT switching
>know how to use the init system on the distro
>know how to partition and mount manually
Bonus for Gentoo:
>USE flags
>tmpfs on build directory
>ccache
>kernel options (absolutely critical if not doing Genkernel)
>distcc
Don't rush setting up Gentoo. The battle has stages: successful boot, connect to internet, and userland. You are liable to fuck up if you don't address all aspects.

Save yourself the trouble and install Ubuntu first. Use the KDE edition called Kubuntu. This will be easier for a Windows user.

Also for Q & A:
>read relevant documentation
>read the distro wiki
>read the distro forums
>RTFM
You get to keep the broken pieces if you break something. No warranties. No guarantees.

>You are liable to fuck up...

Fuck up in terms of "I'll be able to restart the booting process and it won't fuck my hardware to shreds"... right?

Like I said, I have no understanding of linux and will be watching some linux vids for the next few weeks before doing anything. But want to start setting it up in August.

Fuck up as in "I wasted all of this time and effort and I have a unusable computer and I want to suicide." You get to reboot with a rescue ISO to fix things.
>Linux videos
I don't recommend this for gathering information. Read instead. Watch videos to get a general idea of what you are going to go through.

Your hardware will be fine but it may not boot and even if it does your install may be broken and missing core components that can be difficult to install when you’ve got a bunch of shit installed
Start in a VM, figure out how to install there first, maybe do it a few times
Once you’re comfortable with that try it on real hardware

You have Minix installed at -3 lvl in your CPU, no matter wich system you install you are inside botnet.
Get back to windows as fast as you can, Linux is FUCKIN SHITTY TRASH for desktop uses.
If you really want to have linux on your PC/laptop install Mint/Ubuntu, almost everything works there. Everyting else is shit shilled by loosers.

My story is same as yours, was a windows user whose laptop got fucked by a windows 'update'.
Switched to Linux after that and never looked back. My advice, install Ubuntu and save yourself from the hassle. You're new and it'll be too overwhelming in the beginning if you decide on installing gentoo.
As far as i know all CAD softwares or equally good alternatives are available (ECE major).
Good luck!

If you start with gentoo you will have no idea what to do. Get ubuntu first to get the hang of linux, then change to a more advanced distro when you feel like you know the basics. Installing without a gui wizard is a really confusing for beginners, and if something fails you might knot know how to fix it. I used ubuntu for about a month and then switched to Arch, although I think that I should have used ubuntu a bit longer or at least installed manjaro and then arch because I skrewed up the installation like 10 times (now I can install arch from memory) and I also broke my install a few times due to my own errors (pacman -Rc, changed root file permissions, rm -r /home, etc)
tldr start with an easier distro

try Debian for a week or two
then install Arch on a VM -> then install properly
then install Gentoo on a VM -> then install properly

Just install arch instead. I was exactly like you a year ago, then I swapped to arch and never looked back.

>I am going to fucking install that shit you've been spouting for so long as a joke.
As a Joke? AS A JOKE?
Whenever I tell people to install Gentoo, I mean it, since it's overall the best GNU/Linux distribution at the moment.
The real meme is that "install Gentoo" is a meme. It's forced by newfags who are trying too hard to fit in.

Hope your laptop has a strong processor and lots of ram.

Sry guys for not answering. Thank you Jow Forumsents for all the input. Have been watching only youtube linux advice and installation guides since I made post.
Just watched a vid telling me I have to check if hardware is linux compatible. 0.0

DELL XPS 9560
4k display
i7 7700HQ
32gb ram DDR4
Nvme m.2 pcie 1TB Hynix

Printer is a Brother ... A3 printer etc.

Didn't know I even have to check if wifi card is compatible. People saying Ubuntu 16 is the only stable version right now.

My post isn't directed at if your laptop is compatible, gentoo has you compile everything during install, as well as for updates. This is very CPU/RAM intensive. I tried doing it on an old T520 thinkpad and it took something like 2 days of compiling to install.

The process isn't hard, just follow directions and try to understand what/why you're doing (it).

>have been a windows user all my life

OH NO NO NO HE'S FALLING FOR THE MEME XDDD

ok seriously, install ubuntu, live in it for like 2 weeks then go for gentoo, trust me bro you will wipe gentoo in no time (that's if you were able to install it)

You will regret the time lost compiling programs instead of just using an equally light but binary-based distro like arch

>equally light
>arch

Planned obsolescence theory is such a fucking joke.
If your operating system is still supported, the vendor isn't going to slow your shit down without a good reason.
The meltdown and spectre mitigation's are the last time I remember people purposefully slowing down computers, but that's just because you have to make speculative execution work like shit to fix those hardware flaws.
The retpoline and import optimization fix in the new windows updates makes windows faster on affected CPUs, so speeds can actually improve from time to time. Same shit with iOS 12.

Planned obsolescence in the software industry is largely a myth. Any slowdowns is because of new features, or shitting the bed introducing a regression somewhere by accident.

Kubuntu is a bloated mess. KDE neon is the way to go for a decent Ubuntu-based KDE experience.

ifone

"total control"
thats the joke. you gain LITERALLY ZERO CONTROL using gentoo than using ubuntu. save yourself the headache

>If your operating system is still supported
False premise. The rest of your post is irrelevant.

It sucks on ancient potato laptops, but it also isn't that demanding by current standards. very rarely builds anything as weak as a Ryzen 2400G with 8 or 12GB RAM for their gaymen setups, but that's enough to compile the vast majority of packages in under a minute and almost all of the rest in under ten minutes. And it can do it while you shitpost or do whatever else on the side.

The few exceptions (bloat browsers, the most bloated office suites, ...) tend to have -bin packages.

Apple literally admitted to slowing down phones with updates, this isn't even up to debate. It's all verifiable information.

Why
>not on dinosaur laptop
Linux was around back then too buddy , my goal with Linux is to salvage OLD. Computers and getting them to run at their max rate with just browsing and listening to mp3s . YOU CAN DEFINITELY run Linux on older machines it revives older machines and I urge everyone to TRY

It's not running it in itself. It's compiling current software.
I run Gentoo on a T43p. Compiling ghc literally takes 9 hours (I have a distcc now, so it's not an issue anymore).

Meant for

>compiling ghc
Well that’s where you got me , I don’t really compile any codes ever I try to optimize Linux as best as possible for my old ass gateway to make it able to browse the internet again hahaha

>as a joke

Attached: mina.jpg (1920x1080, 122K)

>Crash course
Read the linux bible or watch youtube tutorials
>If linux even a viable OS?
Linux is a much more viable OS than windows. You just have to find the right wm/de for you.
>Is gentoo even viable as a beginner?
No. Gentoo shouldn't be installed by a beginner but if you want to you can. I suggest debian or ubuntu minimal for a beginner.
>Should I fully wipe my ssd?
Yes.
>Should I have drivers installed?
Yes.
>Would I be able to have a fully functioning laptop by september?
Yes it would just take a little while to completely configure gentoo.

>should I fully wipe my sad
>yes
Um HELL NO DONT WIPE YOUR SHIT , if your a beginner OP USE A VIRTUAL MACHINE to gain an understanding of the distro

Do not fall for the meme bro, use Debian or Ubuntu.

If you go for Ubuntu, I really like Lubuntu, it's fast and lightweight yet you will have everything you need to start working right away.

Attached: 8yY7A5LERvvQ31rtmEYJaacmWaEl4OUpwu7OxmesWjI.jpg (1000x922, 166K)

Don't install Gentoo. You'll never finish and will give up and lose motivation to learn the basics.
Start with a noob-friendly distro like Ubuntu, Pop!_OS, or Fedora.
>crash course in linux
Use ubuntu, and there is plenty of documentation to support you and help you when unexpected problems arise. "Crash courses" are a dead end. You can pickup a textbook about Ubuntu and start using ubuntu at the same time, and if you use the Ubuntu daily, read the textbook, and use the forums/etc online for support of obscure issues, you will develop an understanding of linux that is transferrable to other distros. Start with a distro that has strong support or you will get lost and chase dead ends that don't apply to your distro, giving headaches all the way.
>viable
More than any OS. There is no "backdoor" installed. There may be vulnerabilities, but they are few and far between, mostly the cause of user error, or the individual distro and not the kernel. When you have more experience you can look into hardening linux if you're truly concerned.
>gentoo viable beginner
No
>wipe ssd
Just do it. Not for security but for stability. Dual boot takes a bit of experience to maintain. If you dont need Windows just remove it.
>hardware drivers enabled
Huh?
>need excel
Lmao
You can try to run Excel in a VM if you NEED excel, but if you dont need macros or some shit, you can get away with LibreOffice, just change the settings to save as MSOffice filetypes by default.
>intellij
Idk
>vivaldi
Use ungoogled-chromium but yeah I think Vivaldi is on linux.
>mathlabs and other CAD programs
Idk. Maybe in a VM.
Bonne chance

Attached: serveimage (1).jpg (382x499, 27K)

Not true. You'll have trouble using libressl instead of openssl on ubuntu, and you can almost forget about getting rid of GTK+2 and 3. And so on.

Whether this is important to you right now is a different question, but Gentoo DOES have more control.

Not him but yeah, Ubuntu is not more "free" in that sense, it is the worst for that kind of low level customization, but Gentoo is NOT for beginners and recommending or promoting it to him will make him suffer.

>going from windows to gentoo

Attached: laughing-crying-pepe.jpg (640x633, 42K)

>t. nor "I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY" mie

>intentionally downgrading

Ikr. I went from Windows to Ubuntu, and I still feel like I don't know anything about UNIX even though I use it everyday. It really is a steep curve

Your hardware will run fine, just make sure you install the proper drivers. I use a brother printer at work and it works fine, cant remember if i had to install a driver or not. Also if you are using password-protected wifi to install everything, read up on wpa_supplicant. And if you are ever unsure about what a cli command does, type man (program name) and it will usually provide info on it.

Good luck with a jewish processor and bios

Don't go for gentoo desu, go for arch at first i'm a void user btw

Linux distros are not for you if you rely on answers from an imageboard instead of googling yourself
And by gnu/linux I mean any distro, even ubuntu

Intel Management Engine. Of course
But Dell BIOS? I doubt.

but I'm a genius

youtube.com/watch?v=3RdmN87mSuQ

>as a joke
Install Gentoo you retarded fucking faggot!

>ME_Cleaner and a raspberry pi

>and the cpu fan blows harder
wow, I had forgotten why I left windows in the firstplace.
updating is too fucking slow and causes a process to max off the cpu for an entire week before updates are ready.
Its almost like they are mining crypto on your computer.

Just install stack, and download binaries for ghc.

it honestly isn't worth it, especially on a laptop.
Upgrading (compiling) takes way too long and if you're not at your desk with a charger your laptop will get hot and loud and the battery will drain very fast. Keep in mind I was running it on a desktop with a 12 thread cpu and 16gb of ram, and I still am complaining about how long it takes to compile things.

For your purposes I would recommend something like debian or arch. Debian is extremely stable and will not break, and arch has a ton of user guides and documentation out there. I really wouldn't recommend gentoo to someone who has only used windows their whole life. Even for most linux users gentoo is not worth using.

That is more the situation on an *old* laptop -newer ones can certainly install a fairly great number of packages on a battery charge- and you can generally mostly mitigate it by falling back to binaries (provided by CloverOS, nix, guix, or portage with its -bin packages ...) on the go.

Apart from that, one week after you started using it daily, how likely is it that you need a package right now but don't have power?

> I was running it on a desktop with a 12 thread cpu and 16gb of ram, and I still am complaining about how long it takes to compile things
You either don't have an SSD or you specifically remember ghc/go/browser installs.

Very, very few packages are going to take longer than two minutes on average on such a machine (for the most part, you'll be letting portage compile and install 4+ packages in parallel to better use CPU time in poorly multi-threaded sections on some compiles).

Ah, or you can use AppImages (flatpacks / snaps if you prefer).

All of these can be used if the described situation really exists somehow, and then easily replaced with your customized binaries once you feel like it and have your power. Gentoo isn't exactly hostile to deployed binaries, it's merely not the focus of Portage.

protip:
you install gentoo from an ubuntu/fedora live usb instead of using the iso gentoo gives you.
then chroot, this is the 200IQ way to do it

Why not Systemrescuecd or Sabayon?

thanks for that infographic. i might try to install gentoo via a fork.

OP here just watched some videos of installation following the manual and have to say the process is kinda cute. Makes everything more personal. Makes you cherish your computer on it's base level even more. Seems like it has a soul instead of just being a consumer product.

In addition I watched some programm install videos (to set up Dektop enviroment or install drivers etc.) where you have to check for dependencies or that specific program wouldn't work.
My god. Just some random dude editing blocks of code for 20 min to install 2 programs. What a fucking waste of time. I thought it had a gui based package manager. It seems gentoo was not made for the productive types and mostly for computer enthusiasts who want to play technician.

If arch could give me the best of both worlds (gui package manager and source base install if needed) than I'll make that my first distro.

You're not supposed to actually use Gentoo, especially on a laptop. Gentoo is mainly there for academic/entertainment purposes. If you're masochist enough to unironically use GNU plus Linux on a laptop, install Fedora or debian (or one of its derivatives).

USE Flags are a meme and do fuck all for performance. The performance gain from tailor compiling your shit with the slow as fuck GNU compiler is more than neutralized by the amount of time it takes to update Wayland, Fagfox or Cuckoffice. If you unironically use Gentoo you should be shot.

>a crash course in linux?
Installing Gentoo is your crash course, installing LFS is your in depth course.
Just be sure to use an actually sane system after you're done with gentoo.

Stop wasting time with videos and start installing gentoo, is totally not the same experience.

If you don't mind systemd, opensuse can be fully configured with yast(a GUI) and of course konsole, as for base source install, you can do that with any distro, just download their build environment and compile it , but linux churns out new code so fast you will be compiling a kernel twice a month if you want to be up to date.

Glad you want to Inna Gentoo, "the fucking likes" isn't a good reason to use it tho lol.. maybe it'll help you mature. I recommend Gentoo for beginner OS getting xorg-server working nowadays isn't even hard any more.

Kikes not likes**

>No gui package manager
>Gui
Wahhh get over it pussy faggot. Anyone who says Gentoo isn't good for actually using is just a noob. I've been using it as my primary OS for 15 years. My co-workers all use noob flavors or kali, and whenever their shitty gui tools break their WiFi or their daemons they ask me to fix it over ssh ;)

>People saying Ubuntu 16 is the only stable version

bullshit. 19.04 is rock solid

This nigga gets it

Ubuntu is what FAANGs are using. It is the Linux nowadays.

Gentoo is for aesthetically inclined boomers. Arch is for millennials (but only for laptops, not servers) and Void is for zoomer idiots.

Debian is used to be for servers and work before Ubuntu and FAANGs.

Fedora is RedHat's playground. RHEL/CentOS is a safe space for complete degenerates which we call Enterprise software.

Do not even look at SuSE it is a zombie of walking dead which was called Novell, the fucking hell from which shat out systemd upon us.

/thread

>If arch could give me the best of both worlds (gui package manager and source base install if needed) than I'll make that my first distro.
but it can

>I want to learn Linux but I want gui system tools
That's like saying
>I want to be a Catholic but I don't think Mary was a virgin

You're only fooling yourself mate

>Ubuntu is what FAANGs are using. It is the Linux nowadays.
Gentoo is also what FAANG uses. Shit, the "G" based its ChromeOS laptop line on it.

For their VMs and containers and such, Alpine is probably more common than Ubuntu, too. Not saying Ubuntu isn't used, but it's hardly as important -particularly for the big companies- as you make it out to be.

I was reading that they claim they only use portage... I mean if you're going to only take 1 thing from Gentoo, make it Portage or OpenRC (or the amazing documentation)

As far as I have seen nearly all of fucking Dokerfiles are Ubuntu-based.

This is a good-enough heuristic

>As far as I have seen nearly all of fucking Dokerfiles are Ubuntu-based.
Well, you missed a ton of Alpine ones then. And regardless, what's that supposed to prove?

Docker is mostly used when you don't really give a shit about what meets the dependencies somehow. If they're familiar with Knoppix or Ubuntu and need a distribution for their container, they'll just use that. If it's swapped on month later, almost to entirely nobody will notice.

Just don't use plasma as desktop environment, because it's fucking broken
DON'T DO IT

Attached: d1657531ca1197350039144886725cec.jpg (500x700, 174K)

I'm using Gentoo on an Acer Aspire one D255.
Obv installing it was not such a big deal, I did just have to wait for some day in order to get the base programs and a DE compiled.

sounds like you just want ubuntu.
If you want arch but with
>gui package manager and source base install if needed
just install manjaro. Arch-based, GUI everything by default, and it has access to AUR which is a repository for automatically compiling programs from sources.

kek, never seen one post which better captures the actual state of linux nowadays

Fuck do people even use irc any more? You learn the fundamentals there and then Branch out. Ppl doing it backwards nowadays.

>shitting on SuSE
Bruh, I just tried it out after blowing it off for a decade and it's really nice. They took the time to create automated tools to perform analysis on your computer and keep it running optimally. Not to mention Tumbleweed has bleeding edge packages that won't shit the bed.

Make sure you manually do stage 1 & 2 rather than the normal way, it’s easier.