On January 14, 2020 Win7 support ends, what to do next?

On January 14, 2020 Win7 support ends, what to do next?
inb4 install gento, bsd shit, windows10

Attached: win7.jpg (225x225, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209
oo-software.com/en/shutup10
wpd.app/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

if you were feeling generally suicidal anyway maybe a good date

keeping using it safe in the knowledge that my windows 7 will forever be up to date as possible

Continue using 7
Not like anything changes.

It's finally time to free yourself from the botnet.

Attached: ted k.jpg (1200x869, 116K)

Win8.1
Win10 if you got SSD and 8GB+ ram and can disable the botnet.
that if you still into Windows.
Whatever route you gonna take is gonna be superior to a nearly 1 decade old OS

>Win7 support ends
Not for POSReady 7

why the fuck would i care, i'll just keep using it.

>inb4 install gentoo
Install Ubuntu

Nothing, who gives a shit.

I went over to linux.

would be nice if there was a way of tricking the update servers into thinking your w7 ultimate is actually POSready so as to continue receiving updates until 2023 or whenever

Get GPU-passthrough working and stick it in a VM

I don't know. What did you do when MS-DOS, Windows 3.x, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows XP, and Windows Vista support ended.?

8.1 Pro with Classic Shell

What are you waiting for?

Attached: 1560717348762.jpg (800x555, 202K)

Will Skyrim stop running? No? Thought so.

notOP but anytime I actually look up this sorta thing to see what would actually be involved , sure looks complicated right now

>install gentoo
You got it, kid.

Attached: 1533938246695.webm (1280x720, 576K)

>tfw im still running xp
>tfw im talking about my work
>tfw when i work for the government

or you can just install it

It's not hard to set up, but it might be hard to set it up CORRECTLY. Every time I tried, performance was good but there was a random stutter in both sound and video which made it not worth it.

Keep using it. You'll still get all the important security update just like Windows XP still does.

Ah yeah , well personally don't even have the hardware to be even able to try this, I'm using linux on a 10 year old core2duo system right now. Can't afford better :(

thin client at home while working remotely with an up to date server in the cloud.

just install windows10, its basically 7 with better ui and stuff like that, I like mine very much its pretty comfy, altough u will have to disable some services to make sure your OS doesnt eat all resources.

Attached: 1541940184220.png (320x320, 37K)

>didn't update my 7 install in 5 years
according to bugmen my computer should be virused to hell and back by now

>using w7 ultimate over pro
wew lad

It would more likely work on WES7 since WES7, POSReady 7 and TPC are all identified as "WES". If you go to the update catalog you find the updates for these are segregated from regular Windows 7, just like Windows Server. After that you can use process monitor to see what WES7 needs to be identified as POSReady 7(It may very well be none).

WES7 is literally a superset of W7U anyway.

you’ll try to migrate to linux to fit in, realize it’s sh*t and move to windows 10

Attached: 95EA4CA7-1618-44D5-AD14-97CB82C91EF4.jpg (1920x1080, 273K)

The only time I ever had a bad time with a fresh install was back in xp days, there was a period of time that blaster was so widespread that you would instantly get it the second you connected to the internet on a fresh xp install. Blaster was such a piece of shit.

windows 10 is better in every way if you stop it from installing candy crush and spying on you

You can still upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free, I just recommend doing that.
go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

can I port my win10 installed in my current hdd to a new sdd? I mean, my current hdd is slowly dying, and I want to replace it

Switched to 8.1 years ago, it just werks

Attached: Untitled.png (420x366, 17K)

the Mona Lisa is centuries old and remains of excellent quality.
So does Windows 7

So you don't actually use your pc for anything, you just like looking at it. Gotcha.

isnt enterprise the best edition?

there is always win8
you just need a start menu
even the performance is better than 7 and 10

windows 7 supports the same set of programs as windows 10 that would be of actual value. you're free to prove otherwise though :)

i mean youre pretty much right. there is nothing of value beyond the botnet that you will get with win10.

Arch Linux + KDE or XFCE

Attached: spicy.jpg (600x600, 58K)

>continue using windows 7
>notice how PC does not immediately burst into flames just because support ended
>???
>profit!

>X4 840
I lol'd

Never installed an update since 2015.
How does this affect me?

Attached: Shrug.jpg (785x524, 90K)

unironically linux. native game library just keeps growing, a lot thanks to steam proton

If I install Windows 7 after January 14th, will I be stuck with whatever updates the Service Pack 1 disc has or will I be able to download the updates that were released until January 14th?

You will still be able to get all the updates until support_end_day.

It will be like they did with WinXP, where you could load all updates, but there wouldn't come new ones from a specific date and on.

i rather stick with Solaris.

Will this really fly? Don't have a legit win 7 to test.

Attached: 1560530271014.jpg (324x291, 28K)

No AMD drivers.

No AMD drivers ... Lol

purchase extended support

Can confirm. Windows XP SP3 just received a security patch last month.

who are they paying to do that? are the pajeets still working on XP or is some guy working in secret?

Idk Windows XP market share is still pretty high considering how old it is. Lots of mission critical stuff still depends on it.

>purchase extended support
I believe you have to prove you're a business or enterprise.

Attached: No duck.gif (339x336, 1.31M)

If it takes you longer than 1.5 hours to reinstall and have your OS in the same state you had it before, you’re computing wrong.

I don't know about that but you will need to pay ~10 mil/year

Update to 10 and realize it's absolutely fine and actually better in many ways and the only reason you didn't realize this was because of your autism

And then that gets dropped a year later. Fucking retard

>install bloatware
Just go for debian.

I never understood the support ends meme. Like really, what else do I really need? 7 is doing fine and there's nothing I need past that.

Not the same set of hardware unfortunately, so you'll be gimped from upgrading.

>hardware

I can install XP on all the latest hardware.

Just continue using it

SolidWorks ST9, a CAD program, requires Windows 10. Needed to upgrade from Win7 for a client who required the latest version.

you have to upgrade to maximum 1709 first.

I left the W7 this morning after a long life together. Updated W10 Pro.

I haven't ever updated my windows 7 copy
never had a problem

I'm sitting on Windows 8.1 and I'll probably have to bite the bullet install Windows 10. There's one thing I'm wondering though, can you disable Windows Update permanently? I've been reading conflicting reports saying that will active itself no matter what after a certain time even if you fuck with registrykeys.

Is it gonna uninstall itself or what?

>So you don't actually use your pc for anything, you just like looking at it. Gotcha.
this, but directed at Linux users

no

Who here /8.1 master race/

Attached: 235235235234234.jpg (2048x1025, 123K)

XP support ended this year with embedded POS, what the fuck makes you think support for 7 will end the year afterwards you fucking retard, I thought Jow Forums was knowledgable about this shit.

If we presume Windows is insecure to begin with, which it is, why does a lack of security support change anything? Sure, eventually something big and easily exploited will come out, but Microsoft patched all the way back to XP for Wannacry.

A good OS. Windows 10 is still a cluster fuck.

Another Windows 7 thread, C'mon dude.

So question for people who disable windows update. Do you mean disable automatic updates? Or do you mean never ever update? Do you guys just download patches manually? Do you run unpatched systems?

Who in all seriousness wants this?

You don't need legit Windows 7, Daz activation is good enough

If you're using windows 7 because muh botnet you should be using Linux anyway
Install 10

10 is a garbage fire, I use 7 because it won't randomly decide to delete my entire fucking documents folder

That would be me. Fuck 7 and especially fuck 10

Extended support is like enterprise licensing. Minimum order of 500 seats.

did you know it was possible to create a new version of Solid Works in such a manner that it would run in Windows 7?

there have been more complex software written for Windows 7 before

so the decision of not supporting Windows 7 was made by the writers of the program and is artificial limitation

nice spacing really aids readability
nice post overall actually

what about those "paid updates" from extended support?
Guess we'll be pirating those

Meh, Windows 10 is alright. Plus it improved remote desktop and network locations (as far as my experience with both go) so for me it's ideal.

It ain't perfect but people browsing here should be tech savy enough to customize it to fit their needs well enough.

does using openshell in windows 8.1 slow down your system?

these
OP a fag

>On January 14, 2020 Win7 support ends

Only for the ignorant masses

Attached: winCdfew.jpg (1184x315, 47K)

Just stop using technology instead.

>government and it's employees are genuinely retarded
Wake me up when you got some actual news will you?

install windows 10, and wait for a boomer to create the ultimate mainstream open source OS that got no bloatware, no botnet, cutting edge tech, built in p2p to make a worldwide network, is free, is 26% more efficient than windows, in a few decades from now

Is there a good tool that makes debloating and turning off all that telemetric shit in win10 easy? I'd like to make 10 Prof as clean as possible. I'd use ltsc if I wasn't gaymin that much.

>O&O ShutUp10
oo-software.com/en/shutup10

>WPD Windows Privacy Dashboard
wpd.app/