Arch Linux

Redpill me on Arch Linux. Is it really the best distro out there?
I heard their wiki is really good and being rolling-release is also sounds good.
I might choose Arch, but first I want to hear your opinions about it.

Attached: arch.sh-600x600_1.png (600x600, 81K)

arch is very good for you and it can be best distro if you like

user, most distros just do the exact same thing. only real differences are how often the packages update and how the package manager works. you can settle for just about any distro and be happy with it. but if you want a different way of configuring the system, try NixOS. its neat.

It's like you want to get pozzed. People like to boast how many packages are available from AUR, but little do they realize the majority of packages are a security nightmare. You could upload a package with malicious shit and all the Archtards would eat it up.

Takes 5 minutes to go over a PKGBUILD and determine if it does anything funny.

I can't tell you if it's the best, but I can tell you why I use it:
Shit is actually up to date generally.
Pacman is great.
The AUR is great.
Binary packages make laptop life easier.

A Funtoo is fine, too provided you have a desktop or server, or feel like xcomp.

Great distro if you manage to install it. The memes about it breaking isn't true. Try manjaro if you don't care about bloat.

No one does this, and it defeats the purpose of having a package manager for convenience.

arch is probably the best non enterprise distribution now, but them discontinuing their installer was the dumbest shit ever
the aur actually makes arch the easiest to use linux

>but little do they realize the majority of packages are a security nightmare

This worries me a lot.

People have tried shit in the past.
It always gets noticed, there's too many eyes on the popular packages.

Keyword: popular

And even then, if someone knows what they're doing they can make it subtle enough people won't realize.

Arch is relatively lightweight (also depending on the DE you choose of course). Great for older computers. If you don't care about being up to date with software you could also go for something else that is easier to install and maintain.
I used Ubuntu for about two months, then used Kubuntu for a while as I like KDE Plasma a lot better and then I switched to Manjaro. For more than six months I have only been running various Arch-based distros including Arch itself and I never want to go back.

I have to imagine Ubuntu PPAs would be a much juicer target than a handful of Arch ricers.

Its alright.

You have to go out of your way to find a ppa. It's the convenience of AUR - everything is right there for you, and Archtards love it for that reason.

Sure, but there are still thousands more absolute retards using Ubuntu willing to click the monkey or paste this fun command that recreates the music from Zelda in your terminal.

Arch is a meme.

It exists in the overlap between those too autistic to use Ubuntu/Debian/Mint to get shit done, yet too retarded to know how to install Gentoo/Void properly.

So they end up in some shitty "custom" distro like Arch to feel badass, when in fact they haven't tweaked anything and have mostly copied all the commands from the wiki instead, leaving them with an insecure half-usable system, rather than the optimized, well-oiled machine it should be.

All pain, no gain.

The Dunning Kruger effect applies to a larger proportion of Arch users compared to Ubuntu users. It's exactly why it's easier to get away with it on Arch.

I'm currently using Arch; I know I'm a lazy fuck, which is why I limit my AUR usage, and check my fucking logs once in a while.
You're right, though. The "community" is shit.

>It exists in the overlap between those too autistic to use Ubuntu/Debian/Mint to get shit done, yet too retarded to know how to install Gentoo/Void properly.
This, Arch feels like this awkward middle ground between a "preconfigured" distribution and a truly flexible, customizable one.
I did use it for about 9 months, then switched to Gentoo and never looked back. It's still going strong after 5 years with no issues whatsoever.
Void is how Arch sees itself, but isn't. It has potential, but as of now, it's still relatively new and has to get its shit together to cover up some warts. It could definitely become a very good no-frills, binary distribution then.
Gentoo, on the other hand, is mature and stable, having now been around for almost 20 years. You can't go wrong with it.
And no, contrary to what many people here think, Gentoo is not a neckbeard distro, it doesn't even have to be a "minimal" one. Most people I've seen using Gentoo _productively_ have near-"bloated" setups with KDE, some use systemd, pulseaudio, etc. I personally don't, but this is to give you an idea of the difference of the community.
In fact, better tooling such as eselect, eclean, equery, etc. when comapred to shit such as update-alternatives, apt and the like actually makes it EASIER to use than supposedly "just werks" distributions such as Ubuntu or Debian.
One of the most common cases where Gentoo truly shines in comparison is installing multiple package versions (useful for testing libraries): Debian often falls into dependency hell, while it Just Werkz on Gentoo.

I would be willing to bet any amount of money that you don't. Nobody does. Why use a package manager if you're going to have to do bullshit like this?

You're going to have a hard time convincing me your distro is great or even anything better than trash if you have to manually check your packages for malware because only like a third of your packages are audited.

The AUR is also half the reason arch breaks so often, because nothing is audited or tested, so there is no assurance that it works in the overall system. The whole point of a distribution is that it's a distribution of software that goes together and is known to work, instead of just a pile of shit in a repository where for each package only the package maintainer tested and said "werks on my machine", and you have to trust them not to have been malicious or incompetent enough to lose a key or something

The only reason I'm not using Funtoo right now is because compiling a bunch of shit every day on a laptop is suffering.
Even when I just schedule it for the evenings, it's inconvenient. My schedule is always fluctuating.
I haven't got a better system to cross compile with either, unfortunately.

Why are you updating every single day?
Updating around once a week is fine for most people, unless of course some serious security flaw is found and fixed with an update. In that case, you should upgrade immediately.
On servers and important production machines, I'd upgrade even less often.

i honestly was ok with taking the time when i used gentoo but i was running a crap old hp laptop and accidentally left it compiling overnight with the lid shut on the couch with a pillow that fell on it and it physically melted the soundcard so i bought a new machine and didn't take the time to install it again lool

Frankly, it's because I'm autistic and paranoid.
Same, but now my laptop is my main system.