Why are there less than a handful of these midi keyboards on the whole worldwide market?

Any why do they have to be worse in quality than the shittiest $5 PC keyboard?

Attached: nk.jpg (1200x1200, 85K)

There's a whole market of people looking for portable midi keyboards for quick jamming on the go and yet all we get are those creaky plastic shits that break after a couple months. Meanwhile normal PC keyboards get the finest switches for affordable prices.

because there isn't a market for small midi keyboards

Bullshit.
The memes of "everyone is special" and ~content creators~ have never been bigger and tons of amateur musicians making music at parties in and outdoors.
Also, lots of people wanting to have a small midi keyboard to always have over or under their PC keyboard for quick inspiration treatment.
The Nanokey2 was almost perfect in that regard but the build quality is so bad, you almost have to manhandle it for it to play a note, every individual key has a different point where it registers a keypress, all of them creak horribly and the whole shit flexes. The usb port also broke after a couple months even after careful handling.
All shit that middle class PC keyboards don't have on them anymore.

bulltruth actually my friend, there have been several small keyboards in the market at different times and different price points and none of them have succeeded enough to warrant even a sequel

source: I worked at thomann, one of the largest instrument webshops in europe, in the keyboard section

Fucking hell, the memes are really deceiving then.
I guess it can't be helped. In the end I will probably have to build that midi keyboard myself for me.

anything under four octaves don't sell
if the keys are more than third smaller than piano keys, it don't sell
keyboards are basically mechanical and you can't produce quality touch with cheap components, so they don't sell

we actually had a analytics system at thomann to dig at stats what sold and what didn't and this were the parameters at the keyboard segment, so if you are going to build your own and want to sell them, build at least four octaves, with full size keys and preferably waterfall keys, you can't do a unit under hundred dollars but if you build it it will sell

make your own

I have pic related. It's pretty good.

Attached: maudio.jpg (1200x1200, 121K)

Thanks for the info friend.

There are hundreds of these and most are ok. The point of the the thread is that tiny keyboards you can leave next to your monitor on the desk are pretty rare and for some reason not even on par with cheap pc keyboards.

i have pic related, it's not terrible. for $40 idk. could be cheaper i guess

>keyboards are basically mechanical and you can't produce quality touch with cheap components, so they don't sell

True, the Nanonkey2 is build like a cheap rubberdome PC keyboard, in the middle of every of those long keys is a round pole that goes down onto some rubber dome. That means if you don't hit them in the middle, you get some really cringe inducing creaking and rough rubbing sensation because that plastic middle thing is slightly angled by pressing the long key for example on the lower half.

Then you have things like pic related that SEEM to be perfect in every way but they break quickly because they work by literally BENDING PLASTIC of every key at key press and of course, that plastic snaps after a certain count of presses. Even a shitty tiny spring per key and all of them on one thin metal axis would be a fuck cheap solution but they're THAT greedy that they won't even do that. Meanwhile those shits are still around 70 bucks. The way they're built they probably cost like 15 tops in production costs.

Attached: 25.png (3200x3200, 316K)

>build at least four octaves, with full size keys
Literally impossible in the form factor of a PC keyboard. That's the whole point of those tiny keyboards but yeah, if they don't sell, there's no point of making them I guess from a company standpoint.

on it

I'm not joking. it'd be easy as using even an online 3dp company and picking up some cherry switches and a teensy. Just cad up something that will work and build it. not hard fag.
You can even get fancy and just get proper keys and modify them to actuate the switches.

I know and you're right! I was serious when I said I'm working on it.
I will most likely take the Nanokey apart and use it as base. I'd love to use mechanical Cherry switches but they'd be literally just on/off so I'll take a close look at the Nanokey's switches and see how I can make some decent switches out of them while retaining the pressure sensitivity. A buddy also has a 3D printer so that will be a great fun project!

Attached: 165468746877.jpg (240x240, 4K)

another place to look for is the trigger switches out of an xbox controller.

Fuck you're right, or analog game controllers in general... Totally forgot many have analog switches. Thx, buddy

Attached: 1529689652714.jpg (492x726, 74K)

Best controller is a Fatar weighted hammer action MIDI controller with one of those Akai midi drum interfaces sitting on top. You can still get those nice keys for cheap if you shop around for a used one.

I need me a Yamaha EX5 though.

literally just use a pc keyboard then.
edit the velocity later with a mouse.
>velocity sensitive cherry-style switches when?

Because everyone who's seriously into making music knows that they're little more than a trinket and use a full size keyboard to play.

Learn CAD, 3rd printing, electronics, microcontroller programming and make your own.

2 octave keyboards are absolutely terrible to use, and why the fuck would anyone want to produce music outside anyway?

what the fuck do you mean by "these midi keyboards"? One octave an overpriced?

>and why the fuck would anyone want to produce music outside anyway?
Jow Forums autism

I love my QY-100 Walkstation.

Attached: 81EGEOJu+vL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x818, 414K)

Just type your notes into the tracker with the keyboard

The demographic doesn’t cater to the intermediate. It’s either casual toys for cheap or expensive gear like pic related.

Portable midi keyboards are pretty tough to come by because professionals have the money to get better gear, casuals don’t care and the amateurs suffer for it. Call it a right of passage

Attached: FBF420B6-8D9A-4715-9B92-19098425534D.jpg (468x283, 45K)

Yeah that is true, why would you ever leave the basement at all? Why would you ever want to experience something nice outside? Lmao inspiration is for faggots.

Attached: 1430492003625.gif (300x225, 1.95M)

that thing would be some legendary neat shit at a 200 bucks price point.
at 1300 it is nothing but a fucking joke.

Attached: 2019-06-18-1560821590_124x206_.png (124x206, 12K)

Then go outside and do something nice and leave producing to your workstation where you actually have the tools to?
I bet you're one of those faggots who produce shitty rap beats at starbucks then post it on soundcloud with a selfie.

lame substitute for
but hey it records lo-fi samples!

name one musician who produces their music outside, retard. You go outside for inspiration, , not yo sit arched down playing with your little toy like an autistic mouthbreather.

>muh producing
There's a difference between having a jam and ~producing~
>like an autistic mouthbreather
Nice projection there

>jamming with 2 octaves midi controller
Nice try.

>neckbeard in charge of being creative

>retard in charge of pretending he does music

Maudio in general have some neato stuff