Go lang

This is the best update to C lang since 1970s

Attached: code-the-program-in-golang-go-programming-language.png.jpg (649x509, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tour.golang.org
golang-book.com
aws.amazon.com/blogs/opensource/firecracker-open-source-secure-fast-microvm-serverless/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

thanks for input robert

fpbp, pike btfo

go and download

Attached: download.png (215x234, 4K)

goroutines are the only good part of Go

OP here, what's wrong whit me? Please tell me.

Attached: rob.png (838x855, 449K)

Imagine being this gay lol

>No inheritance/exceptions/classes
based Go dabbing on Javashits

> update
This is your brain on go
> No generics
...No comment is needed here.

i dislike how compiling C libraries like sqlite brings back pain of cross compilation

you can tell a mediocre developer when he praises Go

>good

I unironically agree with the other statements though

>you can tell a mediocre developer when he praises Go

or a developer who doesn't want to use legacy based logic in a programming language, and standards which need to support toasters running ansi C

then you just use Rust not this mediocre language.

It is also makes fucking Docking obsolete.

a statically linked go binary is fucking self-contained like your fucking nonsense containers.

Well, he uses Macs because they "just werk". The way he sets up his computer is to install plan9 from userspace and go, and get straight into productivity. All the other shit after google is pretty much consistent with the way that plan 9 functioned, a highly decentralized operating system.

And ironically docker and kubernetes are both written in go.

Learn Go:
tour.golang.org
golang-book.com

Huh. Today I learned. I had no clue about either.

Docker has been obsolete since inception, the miracle of static linking has been around since the dawn of computing.

I wish I could be mediocre like Ken Thompson

I see both go and rust making similar arguments ("we're C but better!")
But how do they compare to each other?

They are not that similar.
Rust is more of better C++, it tries to be both high performance, and feature rich through no cost/low cost abstractions.
Go on the other hand is not high performance nor does it have many features, it's only comparable to C for being bare bones. However it's comparatively easier to learn, and the compiler does generate small binary files that are good for running on containers or in serverless architectures.

Go is absolutely high performance and it was made to replace C++, that's why it's compared to that other C++ replacement

Go is nowhere near as fast as C, C++ or Rust, it's more comparable to Java or C#. Even if you cherry pick benchmarks where Go does well, it's clearly not in the same level as the former.

Attached: 1546325874678.png (744x2146, 119K)

>Rust is more of better C++
No it isn't. It's a worse ADA, the syntax is so utterly fucked that people are repulsed by it at first sight.

If you think "fn" is a good idea, for example, you're autistic.

rust used to have limbo-style channels in the language just like go, but the team took them out like absolute retards, killing all my interest in rust

alioth benchmarks are always bullshit. the go code is written in such a way as to incur heap allocations in a tight loop. stop being a fucking retard.

Docker is zoomer trash, written by onions zoomers for onions zoomer system administrators. As the quoted user said, just wrote your software statically linked.

based certified psychologist

rust is absolute dogshit bad and I have no idea why anyone here likes it or why it even exists

don't bother with rust, it wasn't created for retards and webshits like you

The key point here is our programmers are Googlers, they’re not researchers. They’re typically, fairly young, fresh out of school, probably learned Java, maybe learned C or C++, probably learned Python. They’re not capable of understanding a brilliant language but we want to use them to build good software. So, the language that we give them has to be easy for them to understand and easy to adopt. – Rob Pike 1

Attached: portrait.jpg (500x335, 20K)

It must be familiar, roughly C-like. Programmers working at Google are early in their careers and are most familiar with procedural languages, particularly from the C family. The need to get programmers productive quickly in a new language means that the language cannot be too radical. – Rob Pike 2

Attached: rob_pike.png (251x270, 97K)

Rust is much more webshit oriented than C++, the Rocket Framework and Rust x WebAssembly show it very well

Why, he is very pragmatic and consistent with the original spirit of C and UNIX philosophy in particular

What is remarkable about Go is that it, unlike fucking Rubyish crap like Rust, has explicit and well-understood wish to reduce the language to the smallest possible set of *complimentary* features, like Scheme, and careful and principle-guided attention to details, like Python used to be compared to fucking PHP or Ruby.

Degenerates who can't grasp these simple ideas should not comment here and preferably commit suicide by joining a webshit sweatshop,

You have no idea, my friend. A hello in Rocket takes a whooping 170 fucking dependencies.

node_modules all over again lol

That may be true but Node itself is insanely popular for backend webshit so that doesn't matter to people. Hell fucking Node 2 is being written in RUST

>What is remarkable about Go is that it, unlike fucking Rubyish crap like Rust, has explicit and well-understood wish to reduce the language to the smallest possible set of *complimentary* features
I dont know if i understand you correctly but if you mean

>its simpler and it has all it needs

Is fucking stupid.

Just because you have more features doesnt mean you have to use them.

no generics

>ctrl c ctrl v
>muh beatiful code

fuck off

RUSTODDLERS B T F O

Attached: debiru.png (630x630, 251K)

who even needs procedures when you can just ctrl c ctrl v them too

recursion

>Node itself is insanely popular

among idiots.

fast food and booze are insanely popular too

As long as it gives $$$ its fine

you do not understand the meaning of

> complimentary

and

> a smallest possible set

never studied math, friend? It is ok.

absolute reatard

ok but why do i have to memorize your fucking garbage collector's non-guaranteed behavior to actually get any kind of performance out of this?

>muh performance

If i didnt give a shit about performance i would just use Python

very nice spacing excellent use of both the spacebar and enter key
absolut reeatard

Go is practical and Rust is academic. If you want someone cool to fap over, Rust. If you want to ship a product, Go.

Rust: Firefox. Lots of polished libraries that someone is going to use to write something cool any day now, honest!

Go: Docker, Kubernetes, IPFS, Syncthing, Gogs, Gitlab

Ironic of him to say that, when he contributed to the decrease in popularity of actual brilliant languages.

>academic.
amateur

fify

>Rust is academic

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 101K)

so what should I use Go for if I wanted to give it a try?

web servers and thats literally it

/thread

MIT wrote a POSIX kernel in Go and the performance is within 15% of Linux.

Is that supposed to be good

Considering how convenient the GC is, yes.

Firecracker is written in Rust by amazon. Afaik that's what's used to run serverless stuff. aws.amazon.com/blogs/opensource/firecracker-open-source-secure-fast-microvm-serverless/
I think there is much more done in Rust than you give it credit for. Though most of it isn't as big as Kubernetes or Docker, probably.

SBCL/Erlang/Haskell dev here
I absolutely agree with this statement.
Rust looks JS and C++ were forced to breed to produce this abomination of a syntax.
Retards keep telling you that syntax shouldn't matter for a developer. That's plain wrong. Clarity of intent is absolutely essential. I pity the poor sods in the coming years who have to maintain a rust codebase without comments.

give an example how rust syntax stops you from understanding intent where /your lang/ doesn't plox

I like Go, but it was always meant to be complimentary to C, not replace it

Oh, come on, it is literally and unironicaly Rubyish with references and pointers from C++ thrown in it.

and unwrap() unwrap() unwrap() unwrap()

just use c# nigga

>Oh, come on
not an argument

why do i want shitty redundant keywords
i already know its a function because ()

typing "func" or "var" is fucking stupid the fuck is with that shit, why would i want to type extra shit for no reason fuck off

simplicity is very important

also if you're going to make me type shit why is it this abbreviated bullshit, if you're going to waste my keystrokes for readability waste ALL OF THEM like lua does

function ffffuck()

there is nothing i hate more than programmers and their abbreviated bullshit fuck you

int should have been 'integeri i stand by that FUCK c

long words are not simplicity
simple parsing is simplicity

->

why the fuck are you writing a 1980's assembler with fixed 3 letter opcodes

?

>get straight into productivity
You sure about that? isn't it 90% meetings 10% coding in google?

lets give all of our opcodes 3 capital letters and force indent them so our program fits in 128 bytes

I built a backed server for a turn based game in Go.

It was an ok experience. Lack of generics is annoying but manageable. Overall I wouldn't use it again though. It's very hard to pinpoint why. There's kind of this lurking feeling that there are invisible concurrency bugs every where that are tough to find.

The concurrency sell for Go, which is probably it's biggest selling point it more or less a lie. The out of the box toolkit you get, which is basically channels and mutexes have all of the same gotchas in any other language. The "best practices" end up being convoluted and non obvious.

schizospasm

Are you people fucking blind? Rust has generics. GENERICS. It's 100% academic.

very rightful i program in academic genius language java

Java gets taught in universities
You can't even deny that it's academic

That would be ziglang, sir.

i did not deny?

This, it's ironic that "advanced" languages such as Haskell or the Lisps often get labeled as "academic" while most colleges nowadays don't even mention them.
They are just Java schools.

>Garbage collected
That makes Go instantly competing with Java and C#, not C. And it's WAY shittier than both.