Has Jow Forums ever built their own computer?

Has Jow Forums ever built their own computer?

Attached: self built 8bit computer by Ben Eater.webm (960x540, 2.98M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rdT1YT9AOPA
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLowKtXNTBypGqImE405J2565dvjafglHU
youtube.com/watch?v=lNa9bQRPMB8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

does it run crysis?

why

youtube.com/watch?v=rdT1YT9AOPA
relevant

Autism

yea in my senior year high school we had to build a computer. in first year undergrad I was talking to this autist I had just met about it and I was talking to him I built my own computer and how hard it was, how long it took me. he thought I meant assemble my own pc and out of computer parts and started sperging out about how much of an idiot I was to everybody nearby because it took me almost a whole year to "build" a computer, laughing at me and saying "what an idiot". I started to clarify but he was such a dick I just tuned it out and left. dude dropped out second year or fucked off to an easier major. fuck that guy I'm still mad.

Did you build that computer from a tin can, and rubber bands?

no out of stacks of breadboard and solder

That's probably what 99% of Jow Forums also thinks after reading the OP text...
What kind of features did your computer have?

Nice

Then what did you do?

Why do you so adamantly insist of reinventing the wheel?

I haven't yet but I plan on making one in minecraft soon is that a good idea?

thats cool shit

Meant for

I want to but know uou glow niggers will still have backdoors

No but I will someday. It was always my dream and I want it to fucking happen and go all in on it, but I'm pretty sure there's no future in that. Noone's going to buy this piece of shit and nobody in my surroundings would even appreciate the work I'd put into it. I hate the fact that I see no hope in it, whilst wanting it so much.

I like this.. where is the documentation?

Only using an online simulator and building it up from basic NAND gates.

I think I had the most difficulty with coming up with a counter and figuring out what combination of opcodes do what with an ALU.

???

The guy who built it (Ben Eater) has a YouTube channel and he explains everything in detail in these 44 videos:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLowKtXNTBypGqImE405J2565dvjafglHU
There's also Jow Forumsbeneater where people regularly post their own builds/customizations.

it was pretty basic compared to what people are doing these days probably, but it could do +-*/% m+m-mrc, had a 8 digit display, a serial port that you could interface with a desktop that we had to code ourselves. it also had a beep and power persistent memory. you could feed it truth tables and make it compute them for you and some other shit like that my ultimate feature was that I got it to do square roots x of (c) using the continued fraction method where it would return the square root and also the continued fraction using

x^2 - a^2 = c
(x-a)(x+a) = c
(x-a) = c/(x+a)
x = c/(x+a) + a
x = c/(c/(x+a))+a
x = c/(c/(c/(...+a))+a))+a

we could take either that class called computer engineering which was hardware building and also 3rd year high school programming, or you could take a 3rd year shop class. in the shop class they welded pipe frame go karts and I always kind of regretted not doing that instead, but building a computer was fun and the early start to coding helped a lot.

because this is how you lean how shit actually works

>x^2 - a^2 = c
>(x-a)(x+a) = c
>(x-a) = c/(x+a)
>x = c/(x+a) + a
>x = c/(c/(x+a))+a
>x = c/(c/(c/(...+a))+a))+a
wtf how the hell does this actually work I just tried it

>can't even count right

>the absolute state of Jow Forums

Knowing and understanding how a computer works at its most base level is extremely valuable in the tech world.

Unless you want to limit yourself to some low level technician or code monkey crap.

every proper continued fraction with the 1 reciprocal is unique and maps onto exactly one number, a mixed continued fraction with mixed reciprocal sums has an isomorphism to a proper continued fraction and so they are the same, if you can find a mixed form of a continued fraction no matter how you got it it will map to a proper continued fraction and uniquely go to the same number so if you can find any equality and descending continued fraction for the number you want even if it's self substituted you have equality, a in this case can be any number but the close it is to sqrt x the faster the continued fraction converges, that's because the coefficient size below the numerator dominates the convergence speed

????????????????????????

Will do after I finish writing my os.

I'm in the process but I lost inspiration on the external laptop shell design so I'm still brainstorming.

It's based around a ARM8a SOC and will be UMPC sized.

Teach us the ways tech lord.

This guy's computer is damn cool and he seems like a really great guy making videos on it's method of operation but I fucking can't stand the goddamned wheezing, lip smacking, gulping, and general disgusting noises he makes in his videos. it completely kills it for me, which sucks because I really want to learn his secrets but I can't make it more than 2 or 3 minutes into his videos. So protip: if you ever make narrated videos don't sound like you just ate an entire jar of peanut butter after coming off a 5 mile desert hike with no water

there's a meme in av that you can have bad video and people will forgive you, but you absolutely cannot have bad sound

I made a FPGA computer some time ago. I rushed into the implementation too quickly so it only runs at 50Mhz; I should have pipelined from the start. Thinking about starting from scratch again, or designing a GPU for it. It features maskable interrupts, 80x60 characters at 640x480 60Hz, ps/2 keyboard, hardware trig and division, and a built in debugger (clocking by a button rather than 50Mhz). I also wrote an assembler for it, by did it like a retard in Java. I can post some images if you're interested.

>he has to ask

Lets see it user!
You should defiantely build a GPU for it.
Make it on a modular daughter board.
Then if you remake the CPU down the line you can re-use the GPU.

Also a C or Lisp assembler would be cool!

PICS! PICS!

I did in logisim in my junior year

I had a university course about CPU design, where we also implemented a basic RISC CPU on an FPGA.

Attached: 1544465279581.jpg (433x650, 69K)

ez mode. Come back when you can build that thing solely in diode logic.

I’ve run a sparc core in a fpga once, does it count?

Its an FPGA, so I would probably just program it directly onto the same chip. I realized that most of the pictures would probably be meaningless, but regardless, here are the supported operations.

Attached: Untitled.png (653x903, 56K)

this is an GNU/LINUX imageboard ONLY

Eat shit.

I probably would have hated the shit out of this when I was actually in high school but 2019 me wishes my high school had classes like this.

That's amazing, and clever to use LEDs to show what's going on.

One thing I never really got about computers is how they go from one clock cycle to the next. Like logic gates seem to be instantaneous, or at least don't have a time varying element to them. So there must be some other circuit elements that control how the state evolves with each clock cycle.

The computer in OP's pic uses a 555 in astable mode

>555 in astable mode
But that's just the clock right? What I mean is, which circuit elements change over time based on the clock signal, as opposed to logic gates which just depend on their (non-clock) inputs

This looks like shit, he is using ICs as registers. Check this dude right here youtube.com/watch?v=lNa9bQRPMB8

The guy does a great job of explaining it

Keep up the progress and let us know how it's going every once in a while user.

Attached: tom_fitton.jpg (1398x1527, 272K)

tom fitton this dick in my ass

first you gotta get some sand ..

I built a radio when I was a kid.

His arms are probably larger diameter than my waist.

Attached: 062.webm (640x360, 1.5M)

Attached: 1469315980075.webm (640x360, 2.89M)

Yes. It's an analog computer capable of graphics and simple math equations. This circle is done by solving the Pythagorean theorem with op-amps and diodes.

Attached: DSCN6403.jpg (2272x1704, 941K)

very cool but you're not supposed to make 90 degree bends on those types of wires, anyone who's done breadboarding knows how easily the fuckers internally snap

literally genius tier lurking Jow Forums

Fucking zoomers get off this board

Attached: Condescending-Shrek.jpg (437x450, 46K)

YOU made this?? Impressive.

Yes, but does it run Doom?

Yes I have, learned from prof. Joshua Ngoka.

Latches/buffers are synchronised via the clock. It's a simple "data ready and stable" signal that means the logic state of a wire can now be sampled into memory. It's also used to directly increment counters.

You don't need to know how shit works you just need to know how to use it.
Have you ever had a job? Lol.

I would be so much better at being in high school now, I wish I could have my grown up personality earlier in life

the difference between having a job and being a job creator lel

only ever designed one, an 8-bit data bus design with a seperate 4-bit bus for instructions. gave up when i realized actually building the thing would be more trouble than the payoff

didja use vhdl or verilog? also, what sort of architecture did you use? more details would be appreciated

I've designed single-board computer in VHDL, if it counts.

>hurr durr, I don't want to know how a computer actually works, it's all magic to me

the payoff is the act of building it, I doubt anyone would actually want to program anything for it beyond a hello world or timer

>"homemade" computer
>this nigga used integrated circuits he bought from the store

why though?

I wire-wrapped a z-80 based computer some time ago. I still have it.

Yes I have

why are there no blinkenlights modules for PCs

i want to see the status of everything flashing away

I know this post is old as shit, but this mindset bothers the ever living fuck out of me. Like, how are you suppose to learn about something if you don't try to do it yourself? Want to know how a CPU works? Make one, be it emulated or physical. It teaches you a lot. Curiosity and the thirst for knowledge are lost on people like this.

Attached: 1385300220684.gif (240x180, 2.85M)

No it's just the fact that why would you build your own when you could buy better ones that have millions spent in R&D

To learn you retard.

>Why would you want to learn when you can buy it
And people wonder why college debt is insane.

Because it's fun?

imho user has a mistake there
it should be
>x = c/(x+a) + a
>x = c/(c/(x-a))+a
>x = c/(c/(c/(...+a))-a))+a

Is this what autism looks like?

this is what
>people like him are the reason that you have the fucking comforting life you can live right now you fucking cunt
looks like

but also, yes

I built a child, it's even better than a computer it can fetch beer, though I didn't build it on my own, but I made the "Initial commit" so I own that repo

Where can I get more info on that? Clock speed?

Nvm filename

Lies
2 boys cant make a baby

No. Thats what Dell are for.

Because metaphorically they have not yet invented tires for wheels in terms of CPU architecture. And it sure is bumpy.

I built a shitty MIPS processor in HDL once, don't really see the point of anything lower level than that

what he wrote is correct, you substitute the right side in for itself as x, but it has a condition that 0

not physically, but in uni we had to design a 32-bit MIPS CPU with pipelining through logisim. Was kind of fun.

funny story, I had never been with a man but I met this cute guy, I decided to skip the ass and fuck him in the pussy because men can't get pregnant, and before I know I'm a fag with a child, life is hell and confusing as fuck

Is that Ben Eater's computer or someone elses? Ben Eater is the most calm well spoken teacher I've watched, and he is an absolute chad.

There are a few professions where Asperger's are right at home. Chip design is one of them.

This is a handheld game console I designed for an entrepreneurship class in my senior year of highschool. This is an old picture so it is missing it's buttons. It costs under $10, and with parts I sourced from china I could mass produce them for ~$10 each with a profit (this was to be sold at my highschool). This model used an AVR and one of those 128x64 OLED's, and I programmed a basic game engine with AVR C (Meant to run doom maps, but I stopped the project before the BSP culling code was complete). I was going to use high resolution color displays and STM32 processors instead, which are actually cheaper than the famous AVR/128x64 OLED combo.

My faggot teacher ended up refusing my project proposal and put me in another group where we made guitar pick necklaces.

Attached: Screenshot 2019-06-18 at 10.59.14 PM.png (952x570, 924K)