Whiteboard interviews are a form of hazing

Whiteboard interviews are a form of hazing.

Change my mind.

Attached: whbmob6040.rw_zoom.jpg (1120x1200, 45K)

No, they are a way of filtering out the incompetent.

they seem really stressful.

And they don't do that. Incompetent people can easily memorize leetcode solutions. Correlation between whiteboard skills and programming ability is spurious at best.

That's why you ask questions that aren't on leetcode.

Hazing can be beneficial to a group.
Change my mind.

>be applying for jobs after college
>okay user write a function on this whiteboard that solves this problem
>okay, here you go
>there's some minor errors in your code but it's a whiteboard after all so no worries. why did you make this decision in your code?
>because it made sense for these reasons
>sounds reasonable. moving on

>find out later this is somehow a bad and terrible interaction that upsets most people

There's nothing wrong with whiteboard interviews. There can definitely be shitty interviews that happen to involve whiteboards, but of course asking you to write some code in front of the interviewer is sensible as long as they're taking into account that it isn't a normal working environment. I can only imagine the people who protest this are just terrible developers that can only solve anything by looking up existing solutions on the internet and stumbling through IDE autocompletions.

Looks like you get to eat the limp biscuit user!

And That's A Good Thing

it's a good way to detect bulshit people. If you make an unreasonable request and the person stumbles trying to do it, instead of calling you out or just being honest and saying "I don't know", that's a bad sign.

Lol, so you're afraid of being outed because you can't get shit done without an IDE to hold your hands and the internet to find all your solutions on.

What's wrong with using the internet to check for preexisting solutions? Surely you're not one of those developers that reinvents the wheel and causes a simple project to become a clusterfuck?

It's a bullshit filter to see if you are being a lying faggot and if you need to present something can you visualize it for management.

Seriously nothing is worse than this bullshit
>hire new guy apparently 4 years Sys Admin exp out of college Sr. too
>tell him about some upgrades and shit we need to do/run though
>okay I'll write it up
>huge page of text unformated
>wtfisthishit
K, can you make this bullet pointed and task listed step by step, also for documentation need a visual overview
>huh? I already wrote it
I know but we need to review it with team and management for approval so going to need some visual for explaining to west coast team, document it, and let management see the steps needed
>wtf college didn't teach me that

Come the fuck on dudes, it's not hard to do visual keys and helps a shit load in troubleshooting

Maybe using it as a crutch instead of developing it own hand at it. Self sufficiency, yeah?

It's just a form of IQ test. It is illegal in the USA to use IQ test to screen employees (because dey beez raycis), so this is the next best thing.

The truth is, any employee you hire will have to get familiar with at least some of the technology stack, so you don't really care about if a prospective hire has experience using it already. You only care that he's intelligent enough to learn it quickly (and then be good at it).

everyone knows frat boys are universally closeted homos and love every second of it

You sound like the type of developer who is unable to retrofit preexisting solutions because you are depend too much on others.

This was a comment on HackerNews recently. You're plagiarizing your Jow Forums comments?

Also, I don't see how asking someone to program, when their job is going to be programming, is a problem. Sure it's a problem if the interviewer sucks and doesn't know how to interpret it, but if your interviewer sucks you're going to have a bad time no matter what.

Oops, left my name on from a previous thread.

It's only a problem for left leaning poorgrammers and people who went spent 300$ on a 'coding bootcamp'

I use white boards because I want to
>see if you can identify basic network/server symbols without having to give you a flash card test
>can present something to me as you would my manager or coworkers
>can think on your feet without spitting out pre-formed answers
I don't use whiteboards for seeing how well or fast you can draw a diagram. It's more for seeing if you know what you're talking about rather than giving me spoon fed answers the last candidate gave me.

I never ask leetcode questions and so 90% of pajeet candidates completely fail

Attached: 1559515472222.jpg (1288x974, 255K)

Why can't Latinos, Blacks, and women memorize these ieetcode solutions?

Nope. You are correct. It is.

This.

I always ask high level questions. White-boarding is for fags.

Even if you end up rejecting qualified candidates you filter out far far more incompetent ones, and since the job market favors employers so much, it works well

Whiteboard Interviews are good...In Theory.

In a "perfect world" it's a great solution to determining the on-the-fly coding, scripting, and process skills of potential hires. You can have them write solutions to problems you pose, explain parts of a process you write, and prepare a script based on a situation presented that would rely on them communicating back and forth with you, to fill in variables and formatting options.

However, we don't live in that perfect world. Instead, we get:
HR-Chosen Interviewers who pull questions from hiring newsletters and management magazines of "The Top 10 questions you should be asking YOUR dev team at the interview!" which include the most basic, or, tryhard leetcode questions out there.
Management who doesn't know shit about the job they're overseeing, rephrasing something one of their engineers said in an email would be a good problem to solve in such a way that makes -zero- sense, and when you ask them to explain 1 or more parts, they just say "you should know this."
Head Pajeet tele-interviewer telling you your completely valid answer is invalid, because he's lazy, formats badly, and can't read without an IDE, too.
Which turn whiteboard interviews into nightmares, where eventually a candidate is hired that nobody "wanted" who gets shoveled into the dev pile and some poor AGILE leader has to figure out what the hell to do with this dude, since he wasn't allowed to interview them.

pic related.

I agree to most of that, but by now I also see unused opportunity. A coworker of mine smelled that the HR fag was full of shit. So he started bullshit questions too, like "this looks rather proprietary, can you elaborate why you guys are doing it like this?", till they called my boss so that the guy could have a proper interview. Another good call if the room is full of HR is asking for attendance of your future coworkers as you wanna ensure an "ongoing harmony from the beginning" or something like that. Now I admit that being confronting like this is quite a hurdle, especially for new folks. However there are certainly quite a few ways to undermine the system.
Last but not least if I'd be interviewed by an indian, I'd just drop the company. A good pay isn't worth a shitty working environment.

Interviewer here. OP isn't totally wrong.

We use them primarily to see how you react to difficult situations and as a bonus, whether you are competent or not.

80% of interviewees are *not* competent.

100% of interviewers aren't competent.
Get a real job, you HR whore.

Please me a job where you aren't allowed to look shit up on the internet?

I can do leetcode problems at home comfortably, but I get so fucking anxious in an interview environment I forget the most basic things, my hands shake so much it's hard to write legibly, and I stutter like crazy. It sucks.

Come up for more excuses for why you suck at coming up with solutions, code monkey.

Mad cause you cant get into the Googs?

I'm an engineer. They make us interview you retards. It's not like I want to sit through your awkward sperging for 45 minutes.

correct

and yet companies are obsessed with hiring dogshit programmers

>pic related

learn to not care

Claim ADA status. Ask for the usual list of special snowflake rules, more time, ect. When they refuse, lawyer up and sue for discrimination. Profit.