What the fuck is this

For some reason there are two ssids I didn't create coming from my xfinity modem.
This started happening a couple weeks ago.
What could this be?

Attached: modem.jpg (354x124, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.net.com.br/internet-banda-larga/wi-fi-fora-de-casa
tech.slashdot.org/story/13/06/17/2117203/comcast-to-expand-public-wifi-using-home-internet-connections
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Did you notice any people slightly glowing in the dark?

They already know about those pictures...

what are you implying?

idk what you're talking about user ... I only have wholesome family photos

Here in Brazil, big residential internet carriers are offering countrywide Wi-Fi for its costumers. They are utilizing their own costumers Wi-Fi modems as access points. So it's all botnet now. They do this via silent remote firmware updates on our modems.

Pic related: my carrier modem doubling my 5 GHz Wi-Fi signal. Sombrero is my personal access, and the other is their generic name for everyone to use. If I change my Wi-Fi setting to 2.4 GHz, the public SSID changes as well. Signal strength is also identical. If I turn my modem off, the public SSID goes off as well. Many of my neighbours emit this SSID as well, of which I can use freely, since I am a carrier client and that's the point of this botnet: Wi-Fi everywhere you go.

Good thing my 5 GHz signal is very weak and does not work outside my bedroom. Illiterate fucks are just shouting their 2.4 GHz signal for their whole neighborhood to use as a public access point. People are getting literally cucked, since increased workload on your modem means paying extra electricity to offer public Wi-Fi at home.

I have a separate router for my 2.4 GHz, which my carrier cannot touch with their modified botnet firmwares.

Welcome to the zoomer botnet generation.

Attached: Screenshot_20190618-094033.jpg (1080x1920, 450K)

Here is a 2.4 GHz overview. For almost every Wi-Fi signal there are two SSIDs. One for the client and one for the public.
Signals that do not have 2 SSIDs are either from a carrier which doesn't offer public Wi-Fi, or come from dedicated unbotnetted routers.

Attached: Screenshot_20190618-100326.jpg (1080x1920, 488K)

I checked and it looks like I can't turn the wifi off in the settings.

Are all ISPs doing this now?

One is your 5ghz band the other is 2.4 you can change this in your Xfinity app settings.

Your computer has been compromised by russian hackers.

only if you use botnet claro,vivo,tim their service is shit too.

just disable that shit by putting it in bridge mode. if you happen to be a masochist and are actually using the bultin wireless, then proceed to off yourself.

Just physically disconnect the antennas from your router/modem's mainboard.

better yet, remove the wireless adapter.

Or that, but most of these carrier provided pieces of garbage have soldered wifi chips. Mine had a mini pcie one.

Attached: bild7.jpg (1758x1116, 525K)

I got curious and have just checked. I've selected Disabled, hit Apply, and a pop-up showed up saying "The settings has been completed". Once I hit Confirm to dismiss the pop-up, the setting went back to Enabled. I've tried multiple times and the result is always the same. This did not happen 2 years ago, when I've successfully disabled the Wi-Fi on this very same modem, which was a time this SSID botnet system wasn't established.

So you're right. We cannot turn the Wi-Fi off. It's forced by the firmware, so the public SSID remains available. Your best bet is insulating your modem with RF blocking material and setting up another router with Wi-Fi via LAN. Maybe aluminum foil will do the trick. Or change your Wi-Fi setting to 5 GHz only, and set your signal strength to the lowest. But that will only work if your modem is like mine, which cannot operate simoutaneously at both 2.4 GHz (long coverage) and 5 GHz (short coverage). Mine only does either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz at a time, not both. That way, since I set it up at 5 GHz and my modem is naturally weak at this band, both SSIDs are only accessible within a few meters with direct sight from device to modem, which is what I'm doing, and it works. Concrete walls like ours also greatly help restrict the usable 5 GHz signal to the room only.

If your modem is dual band and can do 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz at the same time, messing with the settings might not work, since it will probably operate the public SSID botnet at both bands, and 2.4 GHz covers a much greater area than 5 GHz, making it available to your neighbours.

Again, I would consider aluminum foil if your modem is dual band.

Attached: Capturar.png (1268x927, 69K)

sopa de macaco

We need to band together and force the ISPs to stop this

You can do that, but you need to manually delete via root and you need to know the username and password of the router which is obviously changed by your ISP so you can't delete it. Try looking at the Internet, you might find the root username and password for your router.

> Try looking at the Internet, you might find the root username and password for your router.
Or just fire up Kali, download the latest metasploit DB and direct up Armitage's "Hail Mary" against the router. It won't work, though, since leaked credentials can be patched remotely.

so is this all a shit hole thing or is it happening in first world countries to?

Isn't Verizon doing this shit as well?

translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.net.com.br/internet-banda-larga/wi-fi-fora-de-casa

Attached: FOTO_20190618_115631.jpg (840x533, 54K)

I'm the OP, I live in Indiana.
This is everywhere I suppose.

that's my ISP

I believe the Out of Service SSIDs could be the initial phase of implementation. See how NET above uses a familiar hashtag as the SSID for the public? That's not your case, which means it could be in a test phase.

OP is with the Xfinity ISP, and this is something they started doing years ago.

tech.slashdot.org/story/13/06/17/2117203/comcast-to-expand-public-wifi-using-home-internet-connections

Buy your own modem. Or put a faraday cage around the xfinity one.

Both if they'll prohibit buying your own.