Realtek’s RTD1311, incorporating a powerful ARM CPU, is the first to integrate the new AV1 decoder video technology

>Realtek’s RTD1311, incorporating a powerful ARM CPU, is the first to integrate the new AV1 decoder video technology.
>realtek.com/en/press-room/news-releases/item/realtek-launches-worldwide-first-4k-uhd-set-top-box-soc-rtd1311-integrating-av1-video-decoder-and-multiple-cas-functions
Based Realtek. Hardware decoding AV1 for the masses.

Attached: 1280px-AV1_logo_2018.svg.png (1280x710, 37K)

So basically they're killing HEVC/h.265 proprietary shitty monopoly and bringing affordable 4k streaming for the masses?
I'm in for that!
Also fuck google and their webm meme video format

>killing proprietary shitty monopoly and bringing affordable 4k streaming for the masses
>Realtek

>Also fuck google and their webm meme video format
WebM supports AV1 and Google contributed quite a bit to AV1.

webm is basically the mkv format

>AV1 is Open
>HEVC (the industry standard) is closed and royalty maintained
>Realtek makes a move to facilitate implementation by OEM to an open standard and thus reduce costs for the final user
What part of that doesn't enter in your small niggerish brain?

>he doesn't realise that Google is one of the biggest proponents of AV1

>being this naive
>not knowing who Realtek is
Sorry I even bothered talking to a retard.

Attached: 1554938255155.jpg (700x700, 209K)

snibbedi snibbedi snab
bring the old webside bacg

Guess what the AV1 streams will probably be packed in.

OGM

The general Matroska format for the most part, until most WebM demuxers support AV1.

Probably MP4 for streaming services.

Well, call me nigger and give me a fried chicken
I guess I dumbed down

lol
Any video player that supports WebM with VP9, MKVs and AV1 in general has no good reason to not be able to play an AV1 stream from inside a WebM container.
Why bother with nonstandard containers when WebM with AV1+Opus will be supported in every web browser natively?

good joek

There are various options, but it's obviously not going to be HEVC.

What's your point?

HEVC is a video codec, just like AV1, not a container like WebM. The point was that is in for AV1 replacing HEVC but hates WebM.

>Google contributed quite a bit to AV1
Like what, their logo?

Well, you can hate webm and like mkv. What's the problem?

I'm sure you can, but why would you? They're the same.

The technology behind VP10.

You may be right but I had a laugh

they bought VP* off of On2

It's been 9 years since the acquisition of On2. They probably put a bit of work themselves in by now.

>no details on the arm cpu and gpu
it's probably trash.

that's beside the point

What are your estimates bros? Twitch and Netflix say initial broadcasts in AV1 by 2022 and fully AV1 by 2025

It's a shitty limited version of mkv. The nice thing about mkv was that you could pack in all kinds of video, audio and subtitle streams, and expect them to work everywhere. With wemb you can do what you like, but clients built for webm (like browsers) will only let you access the first video and audio track. To get multiple video, audio, subtitles and quality levels in browsers, you have to use HLS or MPEG DASH and a supporting player, or figure out some track switch hacks yourself. Any of the above is a pain in the dick.

av1.webm Jow Forumsshitposting when?

webm is a container... but I really don't know why it's better than mkv

.AVI

AV1 == AVI

Think about it

mkv is a container, not a format.
webm stripped it of everything metadata related

retard
retard, hevc isn't a container.

i understand many audio tracks but how often you watch something that has several video tracks?

Adaptive bitrate streaming is essentially swapping video tracks, and since webvtt is so shit burned subtitles are often better. Some people might not want the subs because they're using an audio track in their native language though. There you go, multiple video streams.
Of course this is a shitty solution because it bloats backend storage like mad. It would be better to just support a reasonable subtitle format like SSA/ASS. But no, browsers have to be retarded.

>retard, hevc isn't a container.
It being a container or not is completely unrelated.

user in was obviously talking about HEVC/Webm (obviously with VP8/9) vs AV1.

would this go into something like a chromecast?

you're both retarded. don't blame it on someone else.

MP4 has still more support than WebM and can hold AV1 streams. If you think the whole world will suddenly switch to WebM then you're delusional.

WebM+VP8/VP9 works in every browser but Safari by default. MP4+AVC works in all major browsers, but you may need extra plugins (e.g. gstreamer for Firefox). MP4+HEVC works only on Safari.

user brings the truths

snibeti snab

mpeg is in the trash with h264 and h265 fucking idiot. the entire reason av1 exists is to get rid of the mpeg group, which is what mp4 is AS WELL.

>Also fuck google and their webm meme video format
webm completely revolutionized the way we masturbate