Welcome to the /hgt/ – Haiku General Thread!

Welcome to the /hgt/ – Haiku General Thread!

Haiku is an open-source operating system that specifically targets personal computing. Inspired by the BeOS, Haiku is fast, simple to use, easy to learn and yet very powerful.

Official Website:haiku-os.org/

Downloads:download.haiku-os.org/

Forum (not for bugreports):discuss.haiku-os.org/

Bugtracker (only for OS bugs, not for ports):dev.haiku-os.org/

Localization:i18n.haiku-os.org/

Virtualizing Haiku guides:haiku-os.org/guides/virtualizing/

Gerrit review system:review.haiku-os.org/

CGIT:git.haiku-os.org/

GitHub mirror (read only mirror, do not send PR):github.com/haiku/

Buildbots:buildbot.haiku-os.org/

HAIKU for other architectures:haiku-os.org/guides/building/port_status

PORTS: ———————–

HaikuPorts repo:github.com/haikuports/haikuports

HaikuPorts bugtracker:github.com/haikuports/haikuports/issues

HaikuPorts Wiki (what is package management and how to make a package):github.com/haikuports/haikuports/wiki

HaikuDepot Web Interface (do not forget to select your architecture):depot.haiku-os.org

Buildbot Interfaces:kitchen.haiku-os.org/master/

HaikuArchives (3rdparty open source BeOS/Haiku programs):github.com/HaikuArchives

CHAT / SOCIAL: ———————

IRC: #haiku at freenode : irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/haiku

IRC Log:echelog.com/logs/browse/haiku/

Haiku official mailing list:freelists.org/archives/haiku/

Google Plus page:plus.google.com/u/0/communities/116050756631351429142

INC and FINANCES: ———————

Haiku Inc.:haiku-inc.org/

Donations:haiku-inc.org/donations.html#online

Founding:haiku-os.org/community/organization/funding/

Attached: haiku_600x315.png (600x315, 30K)

> easy to learn and yet very powerful.
stopped reading there

You don't need a general for something that died in 2008

It did not die you stupid pajeet

When will I be able to install it on bare metal, have wifi work, no screen tearing, and configurable font rendering? I've been waiting so fucking long for haiku to be production ready. I grew up around BeOS and used it on a very old Compaq as an audio workstation until 2003. I want the feelings back. I donated 100 bucks to you guys a couple of years ago. Work faster!

>When will I be able to install it on bare metal
I run it exclusively on real iron since 5-6 years or so.
>have wifi work
Learn how2buy hw or create a ticket
>no screen tearing
Haven't noticed yet. Probably driver dependant
>and configurable font rendering?
Check in the Appearance preflet

No multiuser support = security hell = ABSOLUTE MEME SHIT

So what you're saying is it's not ready for modern laptops yet? Also, is opentype and truetype font support complete, and can one finally have proper slight-hinting antialiasing?

Also are there plans for a glx compositor?

fpbp

Security hell botnet, you glow in the dark nibba!

Attached: 1539125651130.jpg (570x856, 66K)

Genuine question:
What would I gain by using Haiku instead of any other Unix-like operating system?

GLX is X11, so definitely nope.
OpenGL compositor is realistic in the future however.

Are you telling that your meme obscure is too?

Freedom from 60 years legacy and Frankenstein cruft.

>Are you telling that your meme obscure is too?
what did he mean by this

Haiku is designed from the ground up as a desktop system. The Haiku interface and programs are all well integrated and self-consistent. The underlying architecture is specifically oriented around a normal, graphical desktop.
The APIs are relatively modern in design and the system contains graphics, sound, and other multimedia features out of the box.
It's POSIX compatible, which helps with bringing over a lot of software from other platforms, but that's it, it's not a Unix-style system.
the tl;dr is that it's a fairly modern design compared to most other OSes and the interface is nice

unfortunately, it's still very much beta software, hardware support will never be that great (this is true of literally every not-Windows and not-Linux OS), and it is uncomfortably lacking in its view of security (google "haiku multi user", read, it's a bit depressing)

Security by obscurity.
Outsourcing tasks to a program which cannot guarantee anything.
Security where your program still can delete infect all your files.
Security where your legged together building blocks doesn’t even know about the other blocks, and systemd.
Do not lie to yourself.

What the heck is depressing in something non existent? You mixing the feeling what you gets in Linux with the motivation and possibility’s as you looking at a white page.
Everything possible and it doesn’t have to be so archaic as Linux.
Reinvent instead of making a lovest common dominator.

I don't know if you are a schizo or I'm a brainlet, but I don't understand what the fuck are you talking about. Seriously, those two messages make no sense to me. I don't even understand the meaning of some phrases.

The developers don't understand why things like user separation are important concepts to desktop security.
A program (or set of programs) can be a user with its own level of resource access.
Really, the term 'user' is a bit of a misnomer that focuses more on people using the machine, even though the concepts of a modern multi-user system are about privilege and resource control.

Haiku is at the level of Windows 9x and pre-OSX Mac OS, where any rogue program can start fucking with things, and there's no groundwork or discussion on changing that.
There is no privilege separation.

Haiku OS is quite interesting, keep up the thread user.

That's what I meant, sorry. Years of LiGnux on the brain. Once that's implemented I can see Haiku taking off after all these years.

OP, place spaces between colons and the following links:
a) that's how English works.
b) you'll be filtered by people with emoji filters set :fire:.