So what does it really mean. I understand a lot of stuff will just work...

So what does it really mean. I understand a lot of stuff will just work, but with no multilib support is it time to abandon ship?

Attached: file.png (800x450, 204K)

Other urls found in this thread:

discourse.ubuntu.com/t/i386-architecture-will-be-dropped-starting-with-eoan-ubuntu-19-10/11263/2
spins.fedoraproject.org/
rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is your hardware really more than 15 years old?

Poor penguin.

Attached: index.jpg (261x193, 7K)

No support for 32-bit just means they decided to stop trying to support computers made before 2006. Hardly anyone has such a machine and those who do haven't bothered upgrading them from Windows 98 or XP since 2014.

No, but I do use old 32-bit Linux and Windows (via WINE) software occasionally.

>32 bit doesn't matter
Oh wait, you're absolutely right.

32 bit support should have ended like a decade ago...
about time

>32-bit
I had to check my calendar to make sure that it's still 2019, and I hadn't gone back in time 15 years.

Attached: 1559188102965.png (1078x1341, 1.2M)

I didn't know that big brand stores even still sold 32-bit machines after 2006...

>Atom N450

Yeah... I'm glad 32-bit support was dropped.

They lost their mind?

Are the dropping 32-bit multilib too? Are they fucking insane?

>dropping 32bit libs too
Literally fucking why? Don't they pull all that stuff from Debian anyway?
Now I can't play 90% of my old vidya with wine. Thanks canonical.

my desktop is a pentium 4. my netbook is an atom n270. i am from a third world shithole. you all can go fuck yourselves.

>it’s ok when Linux does it

The absolute state of weebs

Just don't update

Get a job and off Jow Forums

>it's real
But why though. Doesn't wine have a lot of 32bit support? I didn't think I would distro hop out of Ubuntu after so many years.

You guys are drastically under-estimating the absolute autists that still use 32-bit

64-bit causes cancer

discourse.ubuntu.com/t/i386-architecture-will-be-dropped-starting-with-eoan-ubuntu-19-10/11263/2
>Run an older release of Ubuntu which supports i386, such as 16.04 LTS or, preferably 18.04 LTS in a Virtual Machine or LXD container as above.
>Try 64-bit WINE first. Many applications will “just work”. If not use similar strategies as for 32 bit games. That is use an 18.04 LTS based Virtual Machine or LXD container that has full access to multiarch 32-bit WINE and related libraries.
>We recommend publishing applications as snaps, which can leverage the “core18” runtime which supports 32-bit via the existing Ubuntu 18.04 archive.
Is this some kind of sick joke? Are these niggers being serious?

I guess it's finally time to ditch ubuntu.

Attached: 1555103378147.png (316x387, 118K)

I assume Debian’s not affected by this. What about Xubuntu/Lubuntu/Kubuntu etc? Mint?

Fucking finally. Outdated shit must be abandoned.

All of the Ubuntu distros will be affected by this. I assume Mint will as well since Mint 20 will be based off the next LTS. I doubt they will build their own 32-bit version since Ubuntu is no longer doing the work.

Well, that sucks I guess. Thanks for the info.

How is the 32bit multilib support on Fedora or Arch?
I'd move to Debian but their n*Idia driver packages are ancient and I can't be arsed to install them manually.

build a 3rd world shithole distro then or just use debian

Yep, I'm hopeful at least Mint devs will add multilib support like Arch has to eliminate any potential issues, but if not I might be switching to Arch or Manjaro.

They'll probably just rebase to Debian at that point.

No, it's 10 years old.

Attached: acer-aspire-one-aoa150-bb-8.9-a150-refurbished-netbook-[3]-966-p.jpg (1024x870, 121K)

they basically said that they can't be fucked maintaining the 32bit stuff for the upcoming LTS release.

There will likely be some autist distro that supports 32 bit til the end of time. Hell, I'm willing to bet Debian won't drop 32 but for at least another decade.

I'm really not looking forward to cross-grading.

MUH GAAAAAAMES

multilib is a 32-bit version of 64-bit library, and it's part of the 64-bit repositories
the one that ubuntu drops is the 32-bit packages that are only being used by 32-bit architecture so it won't affect 64-bit architecture

Seconding this. For fuck's sake I moved to Ubuntu only 2 months ago. Honestly considering Manjaro desu.

Attached: Worries.Drink.Alcohol.hahatimefordepression.jpg (224x217, 7K)

>So what does it really mean.
retardation: the Jow Forums thread

They are dropping 32-bit support completely

Reason to change from Ubuntu n°23457

Nothing of value are lost

>t. Ubuntu dev

I bet you can find better CPUs in the trash. I could even give you an intel mini PC that I got for cheap, and it'd be better than your crappy machine.

you know you can keep using 18.04, right?

So will this mean that Wine in Ubuntu will be unable to run many Windows programs because they are 32 bit?

Yes Just create a ubuntu 18.04 chroot for that program bruh. It's no big deal :^)

dont worry bro they'll just flatpak every single windows program in existence. it's the future!!

Just switch to Debian testing, use the install image with nonfree drivers included.

Dropping multilib support is pure retardation.
I have zero clue why they would do this.

not ebin this time i guess

Fedora has good support, so does Opensuse.
Arch also does.

>32 bit

Attached: B658481F-35F5-4D15-8EA5-60B9D86AF1C3.jpg (509x388, 24K)

>tfw buying a netbook was a mistake

The fact Windows XP was being regurgitated in 2009 should have been the warning sign.

Shit man how am I going to run my proprietary 32bit video games now?!

it still werks

So that means Wine is fucked?

I've been telling you faggots to install Gentoo for years, but you still refuse to listen.

the problem is the multilib, retard

Linux is a kernel.

their excuse is bullshit
literally only chrome stopped releasing 32bit
firefox still has releases them on their ftp

spins.fedoraproject.org/
mate or xfce?

>all these little brains who don't know about multilib and don't have the capacity to think about the bigger picture
my sides, retards like you are why devs keep getting away with crap like this

LXQt

T H I S

Attached: eleckscutie.png (633x451, 47K)

>basically a KDE but shit
No thx.

>Qt makes it automatically KDE

It's over, Linux is finished

Attached: 1558639999484.png (2400x1300, 1.06M)

>to play games you need to run them on wine and wine itself needs to be run on a VM

No wonder linux will never become a platform for games.

wtf is 32 bit?

Sweet I want them to. Maybe Linux can be a good OS for once.

You joke about this, but I teach coding in a high school and right now I have 5 classes with not a single student who has seen or used a 32 bit machine in their entire life. We should have offed 32 bit support years ago.

Just use Debian

Attached: d1b.png (471x292, 164K)

>all these people complaining about a 15 years old architecture losing support
at this point you could complain about that ubuntu doesn't run commodore 64 games natively.
Leave 32bit to the XP VMs where it belongs

whos the girl

Just kys pedo scum.

Most hardware before 2006 won't work.
Some exceptions can be found going back to 2001 or even earlier for specific hardware, but that's not the norm.

Most software before 2009 won't work.
Expect more bugs for software that has not been patched or overhauled to meet newer 64 bit standards as some workaround methods won't work anymore. Most common support grew from 2001-2009 as it became mainstream during that time. So you will want software after 2009 to avoid any major issues, the later the better as some player took a long time to move to 64 bit, 2011 if you deal with Mac. This will be really bad for highly optimized devices that are found in embedded solutions as they have decades of optimization on 32 bit and typically use cheaper 32 bit hardware.

Be nice, my back up rig is a Pentium 3 and it can do 90% of what most new junk can do. Only reason I upgraded was the USB 1.1 was getting painfully slow as my file size keep ballooning thanks to new programs wasting resources. If people learn to use the computer better then we don't need to waste resources building a better computer every year. It really is costing us all given the environmental and humanitarian costs, not to mention the missed educational opportunities.

They just don't know better. If they knew how to use a computer they would know how an i3 gen 1 can do nearly anything.

do you even know what multilib is?
fucking retard

Who the fuck even uses 32 bit even your generic web app is 64 these days.

Retarded newfag

it is used to run 32 bit applications
why would you need to 15+ year old applications outside a VM?

99% of the stuff you need already runs in the browser.

Plenty of good games need 32bit libraries to run on wine you tard.
>g-gaymes
Yes, I like games and especially older ones.
What's with the Ubongo shilling force anyway? Are people really defending this? Christ, this is why corporations should be gone from Linux. Just use Debian/MX/antiX and you won't have these problems.

This

then run them in a VM
whats next, 16-bit support so you can play DOS games natively? I mean, the processor supports it via virtual8086

Most people use computers as glorified typewriters. If they do not fall for the consumerism meme (or if computers are more expensive where they live), they still have working 10yo computers (I know, I had a 2008 computer as my main up until a few months ago).
The American market is very different from the rest of the world.
So yes, it looks like a mistake, especially when on of the main advantage of Ubuntu is "it costs nothing and can run on every old thing".

Literally only a problem for proprietary software lmao.

Plenty of people still run computers with 32bit architectures, barely or nobody uses 16bit ones, stop with this comparison. A VM on a toaster computer won't help too.

>a shit
no thx

>especially when on of the main advantage of Ubuntu is "it costs nothing and can run on every old thing"
That applies to Debian, not so sure for Ubuntu.

install windows xp

>Are people really defending this?
Everything that causes butthurt is good.

ABI_X86="32 64"
broblem solved

>plenty of people run 15+ year old hardware
maybe it's time to upgrade?
Also I haven't met a single person using one in the last 2 years, and i know a bunch of old people.
The oldest cpu I saw them use was a core 2 duo.

another retard shows up

I run native DOS 5 on my Macbook Pro 7.1. Had to under clock it to next to nothing to make it stable as it doesn't like the high clock speeds, but once you get the timing adjusted (which is a real pain) it work wonderfully just like it did in my college. So I can still use all my old productivity software and games, mostly stuff from 1992. I just boot to my DOS partition directly, no extra layers to complicate things. Plus my battery life more then triples and I can max out the software supported memory options, way more memory then I every had back in the day so I can leave multiple programs open at once.

Underrated

>Just use snaps bro!
Surreal.

So, is Fedora ok at dealing with proprietary nvidia shit? I gravitated to ubuntu because they made that part less of a headache.

which country?

Whoa wat? Amazing hahahaha

Works well enough with my GTX 1070. Just don't follow some random ass guide to install the drivers. Use RPM Fusion..
rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA
Compiling stuff with CUDA support can be a bit of a headache, as you're pretty much forced to compile a supported gcc version yourself.

>retards like you are why devs keep getting away with crap like this
With what? dropping support for legacy shit no one uses anymore?
If you are seriously implying people still running x32 in production have bothered upgrading their OS anytime in the last decade you are delusional or retarded.

america