So gitkraken today commit a suicide - they have a new update that make it much faster...

So gitkraken today commit a suicide - they have a new update that make it much faster, adds tabs and also makes it so you have to pay to have private repos. In other words they are a git client that wan't you to pay not for commercial projects, but for projects that are private. In 90 days they expect you to start paying and not just learn git and do the whole shit by yourself.

Naturally I have already looked for alternatives and I want to make this a git client thread.

inb4 > learn command line git

Attached: LRrR48qp.jpg (512x512, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

git-scm.com/book/en/v1/Git-Basics
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>commit a suicide
so just fork it right before they committed suicide.

they are not open source.

>Sublime Merge
>Git Ahead
>Sourcetree

Just learn git, it's not that hard
git-scm.com/book/en/v1/Git-Basics read this chapter and you're good to go. Another advance features are not needed until you know what you want to do.

>Sourcetree
seems to be the gitkraken killer for now

kek

I just use git in the command line and git extensions for a better view of all the branches.

Git Kraken felt comfy and easy to use though.

You don't even need to remember that many commands though
>Checkout
>Commit
>Merge
>Stash
>Fetch/pull
>Status
>Cherrypick
>Add
That's like 90% of your daily tasks

vscode + command line (+ extensions if ur ghey)

I'd rather not type it, and I like having caches that are easy to see the origin of, and popping and pushing them as I want. There is a reason why most people don't use the console for repetitive tasks.

>electron app
>login required
>retarded generic modern startup website
it was written on the wall since the first day
that's why I don't care how good tools like figma are, it always end up in the garbage bin or with abusive pricing

I tried gitkraken today for the first time, because sourcetree pulled a SJW icon + notification today and I can't stand that stuff
And it was like 'the free version does not allow private repos' and it was not mentioned anywhere
Glad I already uninstalled it then

the best git client is the terminal. Thank you Mr. Torvalds!

another example why your development tools should always be free software*
*and not owned by microsoft or google

just use the terminal, Jamal

>some time ago
>oh new git gui
>lets try it
>electron app
>oh no... still lets try
>"you must have account to ise it. We may or may not send all ypur code to our servers"
>nope
>stand alone version
>enter enyerprise license key

Only hipsters use that shit. Even sublimeMerge is better if you want stand alone git gui. I wish jetbrains made sperate git gui

>source tree no linux version last time I checked.

Yes. But sometimes graphical UI to ho through tree is really useful

>sjw icon
More on this?

I finally installed a git GUI, and smartgit seems pretty decent all-around. It was available as a flatpak and works well. Also tried Kraken, and it was only available as a snap, took 15 seconds to start and required me to have an account to use it. Needless to say I uninstalled it. Later that evening I found it was still running and taking 100% of my CPU core.

>smartgit
expensive....

No more expensive than kraken for commercial use. They might charge the same for personal use though, that'd be a problem. But it's the only comprehensive git GUI I've found for Linux, all the others seem to so bare-bones (gitg), that I'd rather just use the CLI and gitk.

I have not tried smart git but from my research you might be right it being best linux git gui. I ended up using git client inside intellij or cli

magit for emacs might also be decent even if you don't use emacs

Learn command line git

It's nowhere near as efficient as a GUI. For example, after doing git status, you have to manually paste file paths and escape any special characters if you selectively only want to add a few of them into the index. In a GUI this all is reduced to single clicks.

I do use emacs. But I am not advanced enough emacs user to use that...

Eh, usually I just
git add --all
Or it's pretty simple to highlight the file locations from git status, middle click.

>More on this?
Pic related + notification popped up saying "lol just wanted to let you know we support pride and diversity" out of nowhere
Wtf I just want to get work done

Attached: icon copy.jpg (336x196, 13K)

>Or it's pretty simple to highlight the file locations from git status, middle click.
It's really not. And that's just one example, a GUI makes git usage more efficient all-around (reducing typing, not having to copy-paste commit hashes, easier and cleaner diffs and logs...), even though it's still very important to know the CLI commands used in the background. IMO you should know both a good GUI and the CLI. It'd be best to learn to be comfortable in the CLI first, since afterwards switching to a GUI is really effortless and you still retain your low-level git knowledge.

Just use Magit.

I don't like worms, sorry.

What? Your joke is too complicated, user.

Looks like it can be used for free for non-commercial projects

maggot

Almost sounds like "maggot". Not complicated, but not good either. I still unapologetically made it though so come at me.

>It's really not
It really is

>can't use command line
ah, I see, retard containment thread, good. Have a bump.

>can't make simple script and bind it to key combo

Attached: comment_lDej0oMBIUFYqcfwfmOHzH6AXKi9wWpm.jpg (1024x772, 203K)

Bloody hell. Everyone is pushing faggot propaganda these days.