What made you start programming ?

i started programming because i wanted to create vidya

Attached: 1554102227887.jpg (1000x800, 61K)

I might start due to interest dt in electronics. And I have a 0roblem that might unironically require programming.

I started because i wanted to be hackerman

I was bad at video games so I wanted to cheat, but I was afraid of other people's cheats stealing my shit, so I cracked open an http sniffer and dived into it.

I wanted to make an application that automatically generates cum tributes given a photograph

Somebody else can have this idea though

The girl I used to date's brother was doing something on his computer. She asked "Oh are you programming something?" and he said something like "No, just homework. I'm not a freak faggot like our dad".
Then I, a lost teenager, thought "Hmmm, if this fucking idiot child could be able to code, I can too!".
And so I dived into the technologically magical world of coding and computers.

My business school required it.

depression and loneliness

I found out you could make games and shit with batch files in notepad.

I realized that if i could make a bot utilizing computer vision and machine learning to craft and sell items in MMOs then i could make money that way. Still haven't gotten around to it

I do want to make vidya but a big part of it is I'm interested in text adventures/interactive fiction and I want to take them in new and interesting directions.

Everyone who has gotten into programming cuz vidyah is the worst programmer I’ve ever met

>Become adult
>Have to learn something to earn money
>Fail miserably in every subject at Uni, no passion for anything
>May as well accept my autism and learn programming, it's not what I wanted, but I can't force myself to learn something I don't like either
>Fail miserably at CS too
>Clipping depression
>God, I'm too old, all my friends have jobs already
>Apply again, spend all my free time studying. May as well kill myself if I can't get things right this time
>Oh, wow, it looks like I could do it after. Shame about all the time I lost.
There you go. Now I'm just depressed, not suicidal anymore.

In middleschool I started playing with Arduinos and I would design circuits in Eagle CAD and have them manufactured and shipped to my house. Then I would solder it up and realize it was worthless unless I programmed it. I hated it at first but grew to love it and now I'm an embedded systems engineer that does mostly coding but also still some circuit design stuff.

I was a reporter and someone gave me the advise to learn to program.

I thought I'd get rich by sitting in front of a computer all day. But now I'd rather just make a living by doing something outside.

Same reason.
Then I realized I also needed to be good at a lot of other things like making music and art. I figure in another 5 Years, by the time I hit my early 30s, I'll be able to start working on something that will live up to my standards.

hey man depression is a good step up

A computer is not a body of water. What the hell were you diving into

i was lazy and knew there had to be a better solution than doing what i was doing the manual way
so i automated it

No that's me

I wanted to make a downloader for a website that doesn't exist anymore.
There were other tools to grab files from that site but they all downloaded files without correct filenames. I figured out where to get the metadata and rename the file accordingly.

I forced myself to go back to learning PHP after a task I had to do in my wageslave job was driving me insane. Everyday we had to sort through returned products and then search online for a description and rough price for auction. I found that the website of the company allowed searching on products via barcode so made a simple web scraper that retrieved the data and then exported it to Excel in the format they requested. It turned a 1-2 minute process into a 5 second one plus it saved my sanity. I'd get through a pallet of shit in 30 minutes and then spend the rest of the day fucking around since it'd normally take hours to do.

For me it's the Warcraft 3 world editor

Moved to another department at work, one of the tools I need to work with requires python.
Before that I only copy+pasted rpi-projects

zug zug

Don't laugh at me..

Julian Assange.

what languages do you know?

C++

I want make a toggle light switch on ROBLOX

I’m a little intoxicated, I’m not gonna lie.
So what if it’s not even 10PM and it’s a Tuesday night?
The Kirkland facebook is open on my desktop and some of these people have pretty horrendous facebook pics.
Billy Olson’s sitting here and had the idea of putting some of these next to pictures of farm animals and have people vote on who’s hotter.
I think he’s on to something.

Attached: 1517503458331.jpg (604x453, 29K)

This

They told me it was easy to find a job in the field

I didn't want to make vidya, but I did want to make the tools for others to make vidya (Map creation software and the like)...obscure I know but I was pretty realistic in knowing I couldn't be a game designer myself.

I was bored and drunk few years back. Decided to try C++. After few weeks of frustration ended up understanding it. Decidied to try OpenGL, OpenCV, OpenCL, Cuda. Created few toy projects. Then decided to try other languages. Python is an ugly joke of the language, but I use it from time to time. Now trying C# and enrolled to get my CS meme degree.

BTW, I have a good job with good pay but it is not IT related.

You were drunk the entire time you tried C++?

At first to make money, and because there was nothing else I wanted to study in college. But after I realized I sucked at it I spent an entire summer working through an intro to programming book. Now I do it because I genuinely enjoy it and want to be good at it.

I wish I was.

same

I wanted to make fucked up websites.

Kek this is what machine learning is for

Imagine falling for this

I had very strong urge to design and create things that do something. I didn't knew about programming so I wanted to be an architect and then robotics(when I learned about mechanical devices). Then in primary school I found a book about visual basic, read it and discovered there is something called programming. I started with calculators and pong in a fucking access because I was just a kid trying to figure out what do I know with this knowledge. I didn't even knew what database is, I just discovered you can program in VB in Ms office and access allowed me to put primitive shapes on a window and program it.

Kek

>i wanted to create vidya
what the vidya went to?

Attached: 6qeewz-o7hdTjW.png (2048x2048, 2.25M)

I wanted to make runescape bots, I have fully automated bot farms now and work as a DevOps engineer, the farms have always been a great conversation starter at job interviews

Wanted to be able to build applications for my use instead of having to look for ones and download them.

I spent all of my free time in front of the computer because I was fat and lonley.
Programming is something you must get familiar with if you want a job related to computers

I think my mother wanted me to stop playing on commodore when i was a little kid, so she told me there is a virus inside. My brother pulled the virus from the commodore later and flushed it down the toilet before i've got to see it, ever since then i was interested in how this stuff works. Later in my life i've watched matrix, acquired turbo c along with some book, then interest just lived through on its own.

Been modding vidya a lot, went through hacker phase, tried making my own games, recently vr kicked in so i can fiddle around with fun stuff again. Computers are endless entertainment.

Went to university, grinded for a CS degree. Acquired a job some time later which involves programming. It's what I can do and it's a tool to make money, all is fair. Now I don't even want to think about programming when I'm off work.

it was a last-minute choice, i actually had a friend that programmed in high school so and after considering my friends' aspirations his seemed to be the least insufferable. i actually got really into it when preparing for university while i learned some programming logic

Hello Matt

cryptography
I knew some of the math. Nearly every application of modern crypto was related to running computers. There are tons of inventions and designs for high performance computations on them, the relation of cryptography to CS is so strong. Then I was curious about communication protocols - yet again another application of crypto.
So I got into learning it. 3 years into it - I've took OS architecture and design courses, computer architecture, programming language and compiler courses, learned a bit list of high-level and low level languages as well as x86 and arm assembly, implemented my own kernel and compiler projects, kinda learned how internet works, read through many pages of real world code. Books and online uni courses make this field very approachable desu, never had to pay anything for my education.
Ended up getting a job as programmer.

i might tell that story one day

Attached: 1559961533057.png (576x467, 344K)

was tired of manually saving each image on nhentai.net & made a scraper to download everything for me

Spent a lot of free time using a computer solely as a web browser like most people. Randomly occurred to me one day that I had absolutely no idea how any of this worked.

Now I know more about computers than most people. Don't really know why I still keep programming and learning about CS, but feel like I've invested too much time to quit now.

I wanted to make good money and sit at a desk and i liked computers and knew more about them than most people at my age. Livin the dream now.... heh

I wanted to make games. Pirated ado-- Macromedia flash and had fun making some shitty flash games. Also made custom scenarios in Warcraft 3 with their graphical scripting language and GUIs in Visual Basic.
Eventually joined a CS course.