What Linux distribution and Desktop Environment would you recommend to your normie friends/family?

What Linux distribution and Desktop Environment would you recommend to your normie friends/family?

I would let choose them between Manjaro and Debian, I think.
For DE, i would recommend XFCE for normal usage, KDE with KDE Connect for power usage or Budgie for Windows feels.

Attached: 1540046004531.png (602x500, 26K)

gentoo dwm

openSuSE cinnamon

lfs tty

Only for web browsing. Pretty unpolished for everything else.

Mint, even my grandmother can use it.

ElementaryOS

Is that stable these days? When I tried it a few years ago it literally crashed 10 minutes after boot.

Zorin OS is the only OS for normalfags

Ubuntu or Mint

what is everything else? you can play games on steam, you have libreoffice for writing etc., send mails, you have Zathura, GIMP, Krita, Kdenlive, Audacity, Ardour, DaVinci Resolve, and Wine for any Windows-only software, what else do you need?

It's the only DE that doesn't look and feel autistic

Ubuntu. Recommending anything else is just you being a dick.

Absolutely based user

Ubuntu

Zorin or Elementary.
Basically Ubuntus that dont look like shit.

I use it on my work laptop without problems.

I feel being a dick when recommending a distribution which drops 32bit support in a few months

>recommending unpopular frankendebians to normies and wonder why people hate linux...

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. 95% of a normies pc-usage happens within a web browser. When I set up my kld laptop for my little sister, I put Arch with openbox on it, with some additional xfce and lxde programs.
There have been no problems with it so far, and I just pacman -Syu over ssh every week or so. She was mainly happy when I showed her she could make everything purple by changing a gtk theme file (she also learned about hex color codes) and when I installed an snes emulator with mario world.

anything stable with gnome

Based user

Gentoo
Dwm

Debian with Xfce if they know the basics, Mint with Xfce if they know nothing about Linux.

Nobody needs a 32bit OS. 32bit should have died 20+ years ago.

I put Ubuntu on a laptop for my mom. She's the least computer literate person I know. She uses web browser, plays doom and quake 2 and mahjong.

they also drop multilib support

based canadian

i installed manjaro with kde with minimal loonux experience and i'm confused as all hell. i should have installed it with XFCE. i actually have no clue how to switch it from kde to xfce

and pacman is not intuitive. i just want to apt get for fucks sake why do i have to use a gui that doesn't give me any benefit over just entering in a command line arg

32bit programs shouldn't even be a thing anymore. However, given how shit 90% of all programmers/developers are, getting rid of multilib support is retarded.

especially when steam exists

depends on who they are. If they're a macfag then I'd suggest ElementaryOS. If their daily driver is a phone then probably Ubuntu with it's default DE. If they're a windows user, Mint with either Cinnamon or Xfce.

Debian/Fedora/Ubuntu with Gnome is the only answer.

Lmao just set up a vm of Windows 10 for them on a mint distro

can't you just install multilib anyway? as in use gcc/glibc with 32bit compat mode.
you can on slackware anyway, idk about frankendebians.

Whichever you can fix more easily when something goes wrong.

fedora is for developers, not normies

Debian with either Xfce or MATE.Maybe Ubuntu if they don't need any 32 bit programs

Wrong. Fedora is the rich man's Ubuntu; also the poor man's Windows.

Tried Mint and Elementary once, didn't work for my family, and of course they won't use XFCE or Ubuntu.

Deepin Desktop did the trick, it's surprisingly well designed, even better than Windows and macOS, the drawback is Deepin itself but for normie stuff is excellent.

It's simple

ChromeOS.

Debian and MATE

this if you care about them.
I've put arch on the laptops of my parents. updates haven't required any real manual intervention in a long time.

Unironicly, Ubuntu with kde or Mint with Cinnamon

coming from a similar experience I installed manjaro with kde on a macbook pro recently, installed i3. then once I was used to it installed the manjaro-i3 over it. would recommend, kde was more bloaty.

>why do i have to use a gui
with pacman? er....you don't?

wished my mom played boomer shooters

So what? The question asks what distro to recommend to friends and normies. Therefore I recommend the one I'm using so that I can troubleshoot easier when they crawl in for tech support. Which they WILL do. Basically absoluty this

Attached: 1533455704711.jpg (953x1200, 272K)

MacOS + homebrew or WSL Ubuntu

This. Just a dumb Web terminal. Pop OS is probably the most just werks one, but good fucking luck explaining why their laptops heat up so much more playing videos, or running fucking wine.