/obsd/ - OpenBSD General

OpenBSD is a free and open-source, security-focused, Unix-like operating system.

*Please remember that this thread is not meant to be a discussion about Linux vs OpenBSD*

FAQ:
>How do I get started?
-openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html

>What are the available graphics drivers?
-amdgpu(4): AMD Radeon GPUs using the amdgpu kernel driver (not enabled by default yet, still Work-In-Progress)
-intel(4): Intel integrated graphics chipsets
-radeon(4): ATI/AMD Radeon video driver
-efifb(4): EFI frame buffer
-vesa(4): Generic VESA video driver

>What are the available wireless drivers?
-man.openbsd.org/?query=wireless&apropos=1

>How do I set up Full-Disk Encryption?
-openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#softraidFDE

>Why OpenBSD?
-sivers.org/openbsd
-over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/01 (discusses *BSD in general)
-why-openbsd.rocks/ (shows up a random fact about OpenBSD whenever you load it)
-openbsd.org/innovations.html
-en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenBSD_security_features

>Should I use -release or -current?
-If you're using it in your home machine, then -current is most likely what you're looking for since it contains updated packages.

>How do I follow -current?
-openbsd.org/faq/current.html

>How do I upgrade -current to the latest snapshot?
-Just run sysupgrade(8) as root.

>How do I get help?
-OpenBSD man pages
-OpenBSD mailing lists: openbsd.org/mail.html
-daemonforums: daemonforums.org/
-OpenBSD FAQ: openbsd.org/faq/

>Book recommendations:
-Absolute OpenBSD (2nd edition)
-The Book of PF (3rd edition)

>Miscellaneous:
-c0ffee.net/blog/openbsd-on-a-laptop/ (tips for a laptop installation, contains some useful information)
-openbsd.org/lyrics.html (OpenBSD's songs)
-cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/amd64/ (list of available packages)

Feel free to ask questions and discuss topics that are related to OpenBSD.

Attached: puf800X689.gif (800x689, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/amd64/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Previous thread:

The amdgpu driver is very exciting. I run OpenBSD on the laptops but I'd like to use it on the desktop too.

You can use whatever Window Manager/Desktop Environment that you want.

They still make songs, they just don't sync them with releases anymore.

>Mutable OS.
Into the teas it goes.

Trash, ofc.

What?

OpenBSD has the OpenBSD FAQ though, which is quite useful for beginners.

Any /ppc/ users around here? How's the experience?

The FAQ is good, but not beginner-oriented.

Based puffy

If you’re a Unix newb OpenBSD might not be the best choice. These days people expect everything to be point and click control panel mode.

I’ve been a Unix user since the early 1990s though, and I love it. I just need to figure out how to make my laptop sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity while on battery but not sleep at all while plugged in.

Why not FreeBSD??

You can write a script that checks AC status regularly using apm -a, if it returns 0 (meaning your laptop is disconnected), it'll trigger xidle -program "/usr/sbin/apm -S" -timeout 900, which will put your device to standby mode when it's not charging and inactive for 15 minutes (900 seconds = 15 minutes).

Because FreeBSD's goals are different.

Thanks for the advice fren.

FreeBSD has been lost to the trannies and the SJWs. It's time to move on to greener pastures.

Attached: 332873.png (1540x1231, 254K)

You're welcome, also make sure that the xidle line is suffixed by "&", and that your script will pkill the xidle process once apm -a returns 1 (i.e. when your laptop is plugged in).

Just a general question... What are the advantages of OpenBSD to Linux in terms of:

Setup procedure
Software availability
Usability for beginners

>Setup procedure
Really easy, the interactive installer is very nice.
>Software availability
You can check this one yourself:
>Usability for beginners
If you're comfortable with seeing a command-line then it's fine.

Thanks for that. What about DEs? I guess they've ported such DEs as Xfce and all that from Liux to BSD?

I successfully set up NeXTCloud on OBSD, but when I tried to do local caching on it, php complained of an internal error and the nginx logs said it couldn't read the "OC-[UUID]" files.
Currently troubleshooting it, no idea where these files are because they don't exist and find won't find them.

I literally don't care.

The only reason you care is because you don't/can't program so you can only discriminate in superficial ways like these.

Most DEs (including GNOME, XFCE, LXQT, LXDE, MATE, and others) are available in OpenBSD, the only one that's not available in OpenBSD yet is KDE 5 (KDE 4 is available). You can check if the DE that you want is available here:

Awesome. I'd be sticking with Xfce, though that's actually pretty damn good to know.

Attached: 1513503042368.gif (237x240, 1.95M)