How do I progress in programming...

how do I progress in programming? I know it's a vague question but basically I've just been fucking around with C# and python for the last few years (yes I know they're babby tier, that's why I'm here) and I feel like at this point I know the very basics of programming pretty well but I've plateaued and don't know where to go from here. I've made a few basic programs over the years, such as a text editor for scripts which I built from scratch, some browser based applications for language learning (read translated texts alongside original, add definitions, generate TTS etc), and graphical interface for command line programs I use.

It feels like I'm doing little more than slightly tweaking existing technology to make it slightly more convenient for myself, and basically I want to know how to get into bigger and better things. For example I don't even know where one would begin to work on a program that deals with multimedia files, how to determine their structure and design around that...and I just want to better understand how the whole system works cohesively, and how to improve existing software, and use my understanding to solve my own problems and customize things to my liking. My ultimate goal would be to make a driver for my graphics tablet (instead of relying on someone else to) but I realize I'm so far off from that and I just want to learn everything, and I don't know where to start from.

tl;dr I'm a novice programmer who wants to dive deeper and I'm up for the challenge but I need some direction because there are so many languages and platforms and stuff

Attached: image.jpg (812x800, 117K)

Other urls found in this thread:

die.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

C
Linux
and this -> die.net/

*ahem*

Attached: 9780131103627.jpg (491x648, 59K)

Btw, try vscode for a comfy c ide

IT even has the solarized colorscheme for the most comfy look

how do you compile C in vscode?

>he is literally being memed into using a meme text editor
VSCode is slow and bloated as fuck, just use any simple text editor with syntax highlighting and line numbering (geany or notepad++).

Start programming more in languages you like or want to learn. Don’t post on Jow Forums this place is a cesspool of retards who argue over which gay language is less gay.

You can't expect to understand everything fully before you start a moderately complex project.

Just start and see how far you get.

>For example I don't even know where one would begin to work on a program that deals with multimedia files
Being a programmer is all about reading up on APIs, start with ffmpeg

Press F5 ... you need a Compiler in your system for C

Is a good start for your C advanture

Yes VSCode is bloated but use whatever u like. Im fine with VSCode

If you're a man, you use clang. If you're a little pussy tittybitch, you use gcc.

Python isn't baby tier, it's just horrid. Programming a device driver, that sounds difficult. I assume the motherboard makes its functions available to programming languages (similar to APIs?). Can you program a game of Tetris?

Attached: dot-net-training-in-chennai-300x225.jpg (300x225, 16K)

OP, don't listen to the retards shilling a particular language. Being where you are, all you would learn is syntax already similar to what you have mastered, which is useless. What you should do now that you feel comfortable with the syntax is probably learn algorithms and data structures. You literally can't go wrong learning those things, as they are the backbones of computing. If you feel like learning higher level things, you should study some software patterns/design. If you are interested in whatever kind of software (e.g. multimedia) you can: a) go the "low level" route and learn to implement a given file format (for example, writing a program capable of playing MP3s; for this you would have to learn at the very least the MP3 file format), b) go the "high level" route and use a multimedia library capable of playing the types of files you're interested in (but then you would almost completely concentrate on the UI of the program), c) don't forget about open source software. Wanna know how to make a media player and have no idea whatsoever? Well, you can always just download VLC's/Clementine's/etc source code and see how they do things.

I downloaded one from the extension list but i can't even get syntax highlighting or autocompletion. What do?

Contribute to larger projects
Device drivers will be "easy" for you, and so will C since python syntax is basically just C syntax with whitespace.
Embedded 8051, PIC, or AVR could be fun. But, this is more EE than CS desu.
Maybe django and server stack?

Don't waste your time learning IDE's. Just use Notepad++, install Cygwin or MinGW and compile from the command line with gcc. It's literally as simple as "gcc source.c".

If you are on Ubuntu/debian/... try "sudo apt install build-essential" if you are in another distro, find out how to install GCC/clang or whatever is fine for you. If you are in Windows someone else could maybe help you

It's not, you're just running a core2 with 512mb ram or something.

Why are you not using a Microsoft .net IDE?

Well maybe you are right. For a beginer its the easyer way to use a simple editor like notepad++. I personaly like VSCode for my workflow but thats only my opinion

There are extensions to automatically compile and run like native visual studio but I personally just edit a tasks.json and make it call a terminal command like
gcc *.cpp; ./a.out

Honestly I recommend you don't touch C and C++. There's just nothing interesting these low level languages provide. Stick with javascript and python.

So what I and countless others did when stagnanting: Learn Emacs and Lisp.
It was the best thing I did in my entire programming career.
It is s big rabbithole, but you'll always look busy tweaking your config.

Good luck trying building device drivers with JavaScript ...

I'm on a macbook I don't need drivers.

> OSX don't need drivers

Attached: 1560192052721.gif (200x250, 2.65M)