So you may already watched HBO's Chernobyl (if not, go watch it)...

So you may already watched HBO's Chernobyl (if not, go watch it). Could today's technologies prevent that catastrophy if it was available at that time. What would happened if 4th reactor would run Linux in 1986?

Attached: Chernobyl_2019_Miniseries.jpg (250x370, 68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q3d3rzFTrLg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Watching normie garbage on proprietary services

We'll have to wait sometime for the nuclear industry to catch up and upgrade their equipment so we can tell how finely crafted critical system JS behaves in that environment.

Anything said now is pure speculation.

>watches chernobyl series
>i am nuclear/slavic expert

Attached: 43033126_785163875149237_1831603590951600128_n.png (545x480, 351K)

>watch this hbo movie
I'll pass on that. It's probably a movie based on tranny, and illegal immigrant apologetic thought.

The reactor was built by dumb Soviets and blew up on emergency shutdown because of retarded control rod design. So no, it probably can't happen again.
Where is Sminem now?

It could have been prevented in 1986 with 1986 technology if techs had disabled all the safeties

considering the nips managed to melt 3 reactors back in 2010 I doubt it

It was caused by a string of mishaps caused by humans. No amount of technology can stop human error. Human is not something an operating system can fix. If that was the case internet pages and apps would never be down. You are thinking that technology is a radical good system. In reality the internet and all applications are tons of shitcode and alot of wrong decisions made in shitty scrum process meetings. There is no such thing as good code, it is not out there in the wild. You can write good code but in reality as an enterprise you are short on time and everything becomes a comprise.

The main flaw that caused the Chernobyl accident was the reactor's very positive void coefficient. This characteristic of the reactor leads to it having a positive feedback look in terms of power output, which results in a snowball effect. As the reactor's power increases, its core temperature raises. This increase in temperature results in a further raise in power. This is a fundamental design flaw of RBMK pattern reactors that can only be partially mitigated by upgrading other systems the reactor uses.

Yes, this technology better known as birth control should be promoted among Russians.

> we need Gentoo on reactors to prevent nuclear incidents

Absolute state of this retarted board

Attached: images (14).jpg (276x183, 10K)

What "normie garbage"? Other than Stellan Skarsgard and Ralph Ineson, all other actors are a bunch of anonymouses. And that's a good thing now and has been for quite some time.

to think that just typing pacman -Syu couldve saved so many lives... baka

>So you may already watched HBO's Chernobyl (if not, go watch it)
go back to facebook

Why would you pass on this?

>Could today's technologies prevent that catastrophy if it was available at that time.
Yes, technology at the time could've prevented that catastrophe. There's a reason why no one else used RBMK reactors, and they even say as much in the show.

1986 technology could've prevented the disaster. If you've actually watched it you'd know it.

I'm a nuclear power fanboy. Is this show in favour or against nuclear power?

oh my god such tragedy :( such immersive show because tragedy unlike my daily normal life :(. such immersive show because it happened IRL and its tragedy :(

>popular things bad

Awesome documentary, and to think that so many lives could have been saved by running gentoo. So sad

It's really more of a commentary on the USSR's government.

Its mainly just against Communism / Sovietism and how they ruin everything, including nuclear power.

cringe

Jesus user you need to take some time off from the internet

Yeah focuses more on ussr's negligence

Picked up.

Not a single negro appears on the movie.

The computer literally kept printing warnings the entire time. Like "Hey shit's all Fucked, Turn it Off Now!"
It wasn't really the Tech that Failed, it was the People running it.

**series, not movie

Attached: 14589b4c32a40e61.jpg (480x270, 49K)

No current piece of electronics can survive 12k roentgen. Maybe we could have equipped robots for the other roofs.

>"user, did you install gentoo on all our reactors?"
>"what do you mean it became much faster?"
>"where's our steam libraries? the pressure is rising in tanks"
>"what do you mean control rods are bloat? don't dare to tell that you can cool everything with water"
>"what is this weird ASCII stuff? is this... a girl?.. with control rods inside her..."
>"what do you mean you don't need radiation detection software?"
>"did you just push reactor.conf files to the master branch?"

Fuck, thats pretty good user

Attached: 0_1440448586766.gif (332x215, 857K)

>What would happened if 4th reactor would run Linux in 1986?
"Enter password"

>increase in power/temperature results in a further raise in power
>bad design

Attached: 1411339412_russian_drunk_guy_a_log_to_the_face.webm (400x290, 254K)

Sminem so cute in that picture, oh how they grow up..

This time it's strong wahmen scientist putting all the men in their place

literally #believeAllWomen but with nuclear reactors, but it was written by an anti-trump basedboy so no surprise

>Watch it
>Not a political mouthpiece
>Not a parody of the USSR
>No diversity
>No forced romance with strong women
>No epic battles or sex scenes
>An actually serious show
>Not overly long to milk it
This is how it should be done, lads.

Good luck finding thousands of western men who would go and clean that shit up. If this shit would happen anywhere outside le honorable nippon or a shithole where human life has no value then no one would be there to fly the helicopters to bury it and do all the other deadly shit

Jesus Christ this thing is being shilled like crazy. Have the media conglomerates finally taken over this place? Where the fuck are we supposed to go from here, anons?

Attached: 1542384676082.png (409x409, 157K)

turns out when you have something designed to push an anti-nuclear agenda you don't need to include peak 2019

>anti-nuclear agenda
Is it though?
It's literally showed that the reason the accident happened was because of a design flaw that the government decided to hide instead of acting to fix it.

I prefer Taranto

Attached: IMG-20190619-WA0024.jpg (750x783, 62K)

>This time it's strong wahmen scientist putting all the men in their place
>literally #believeAllWomen but with nuclear reactors, but it was written by an anti-trump basedboy so no surprise
So I made the correct call by not watching it.

Reminder that you're more likely to die from 5G radiation than from a nuclear accident

Attached: 684451.png (465x412, 346K)

Honestly, you can just read a book about it made in the last 20 years and come to the same conclusions. All this shit is just a gay docudrama made by the worst streaming service on Earth (which considering how shit streaming is gives you an idea of what you're dealing with). I don't get why people need all this shit to be on a television instead of reading a fucking book.

>. Could today's technologies prevent that catastrophy if it was available at that time.
No because the operators intentionally disabled their safety systems, went massively below the never remove more than this number of control rods, locked the automatic system out from controlling almost all of the rods, shut down their fucking pumps and didn't know that xenon had built up and was killing the reactor's neutron economy.
The technology at the time was very much able to stop the accident and in fact was until the computer ran out of rods it could move (because the operators had locked it out). When you give humans the ability to override the safeties you might get a case when you have no safety or control.
The graphite tips were not the cause of the accident. It was 100% operator error, ignoring everything they should have done because 'muh career'.

Long before the HBO show Chernobyl was used as a case study in how to not be an operator or power engineer.

Attached: 1554385927308.jpg (750x562, 65K)

agreed, is there nothing cringier and more bluepilled than being a contrarian faggot for the sake of being contrarian

Attached: sminem.jpg (757x627, 83K)

>streaming service
>implying people here paid anything to watch it

Technology can't stop someone that disattivate said technology only to do whatever he shouldn't do. BRUH

>The main flaw that caused the Chernobyl accident was the reactor's very positive void coefficient.
Bullshit.

The automatic system was if it wasn't crippled by being locked out was more than able to keep the reactor safe. The positive void coefficient is no more the cause of the accident than a lack of ABS in a car is the cause of an accident when the driver goes 200kmh over the speed limit.

based on the reaction the public is having to the show, it's anti-nuclear propaganda whether they meant it to be or not

>all these posts in the threads arguing about specifics of chernobyl
it would have been fun to ask all of these posters to explain what happened in chernobyl before this series got popular and again afterwards when they watched a bunch of youtube videos and convinced themselves that they're nuclear experts

It's kinda useless if it's propaganda.
The US is still stuck in the first half of the 20th century with an overwhelming majority of retards that would rather burn coal rather than use based nuclear

minister you, sminem

you dot need to be an expert in a field to know something thats been explained to you in detail

don't blame the usa when europe is the one running away from nuclear

She doesn't put anyone in their place at all, she's a composite character that serves the need of gathering information on how the meltdown occurred, interviewing the workers as they die etc.

This.
She reaches the same conclusions than her male counterpart.
She's given the dirty work while real men stay near the central to fix the actual issue at hand.
They even admit she's not an historical character at the end.

please be bait

yea all it takes is a 5 minute youtube video to get an user ready to argue specifics about chernobyl, something that even real experts still argue about

>building reactors in the ring or fire
>in the country that invented the word "tsunami"

>survived an earthquake and tsunami without killing anyone and with only minor leakage
>area is already inhabited again
Seems like the catastrophe was pretty well prevented to me.

>ABSOLUTE state of freetards

>if not, go watch it
no thank you, i'm not a brainlet

This, I have been thinking about this show, how they timed its release, dont know about usa but this is big in Europe (and also eastern europe where this was filmed) and this year has been particularly busy with anti climate protests and other such nonsense and now they release this

>OMG THIS SHOW IS SO GOOD I'VE GOT TO MAKE ANOTHER THREAD ON Jow Forums ABOUT IT RIGHT NOW

Attached: s o i.png (324x414, 186K)

The show glorifies White males.
All the guys in the show are White Chads not afraid to die from mobile internet radiation

I mean they filmed it quite a while ago and truthfully it probably wasn't meant to push an agenda. but it absolutely has set back nuclear power considerably. normies talking about this show are just frothing to tell each other how bad nuclear power is.

cringe

Have sex

>show has nothing to do with identity politics
>half the posts are about identity politics

Why does Jow Forums suck so much?

more important, why is there a thread about a random shitty show on Jow Forums? you have /tv/ for such trash.

Yeah could've had a thread about Chernobyl without a tv show but still, nuclear power is technology.

Because the 5G schizo is the guy making the Chernobyl threads

cringe as fuck

the absolute state of nu-Jow Forums

How is it even still legal to run powerplants like that today?

wtf is wrong with the world.

>today

Chernobyl has been out of service for a long time user

It really is. Japs was one hair close to 3xChernobyl in 2011 when they melted 3 reactors. How high you must be to build nuclear station in most seismic zone on Earth. Thanks God nips are responsible by nature in contrast to slavs that cheeki breeki with vodka whole their life so incident went without any consequences. You can build most secure, most safe and most controlled nuclear power plant on Earth but you never insured against human factor and natural disasters.

Don't bother.
You're average Mutt thinks the USSR still exists and is located in the American continent

Chernobyl's last 3 reactors operated till 2000. And there are some plants still active in Russia using RBMK reactors.

have you considered killing yourself?

Slavshit remains slavshit.

This is why energy sources should be clean, safe, and renewable.
Not shit that can wipe cities or small countries off the map or slowly kill the planet with toxic gases.

it wasn't legal to run powerplants like chernobyl at the time it was running. it was missing several modifications to the design which had been known about for many years.

How is it a shitty show specifically?

>i love Jow Forums because it lets me be completely identical while pretending that i am somehow better than everyone else
>i am only able to express myself in hot new Jow Forums memes. this excludes me from reddit, which is where i used to hang out before coming here in 2017
>it also excludes me from every other internet community, which does not appreciate my witty one-liners
>fortunately i have Jow Forums, where i can be as retarded as i like, and can just hide behind the excuse of trolling if someone calls me out for being a sad, lifeless facebook reject that can never manage to post anything to Jow Forums for some reason

Attached: 1545562076980.png (583x482, 119K)

It was human error and cheap material not a system failure.

>The mere presence of a woman means that a series is feminism

This despite the fact that she is supported by Legasov and Skarsgard, 2 men who were each appointed to the job for their expertise instead of her.

>Could today's technologies prevent that catastrophy if it was available at that time.
Technologies at the time could have prevented that catastrophe, but Russia was being Russia.

At worst that'll get you a Three-Mile Island equivalent event in more modern reactors, not the reactor exploding.
Meltdowns are bad, but not as bad as Chernobyl.

Guess we should not generate any energy then, because all of them do something some of that.

>How is it a shitty show specifically?
It prats some of the usual anti-nuclear narrative and FUD, like the possibility of Chernobyl having a second 2-4Mton explosion that could kill millions in Europe and raze a city hundreds of kilometers away (complete bullshit).

>to build nuclear station in most seismic zone on Earth.
The reactor building was fine. No damage at all to it and that earthquake was powerful enough to require an adjustment to the GPS because it literally changed how fast the Earth rotates.

The generators were clearly in a bad position and the sea wall wasn't built to the recommended size. They also ignored the reactor to focus on saving lives elsewhere. They could have deployed enough diesel generators by helicopter to power the pumps, the could have ordered a cargo ship to the lagoon and supplied power from it. They could have done a lot of things, but in the end they opted to save lives rather than save money.

you can watch/read stuff about how it happened
there was technology in place back then that would've prevented it but humans circumvented the safety systems on purpose
youtube.com/watch?v=q3d3rzFTrLg

There were more problems than that.
The diesel generators were flooded because of the tsunami and I'm not sure the plant was set up in a way it could receive power from a ship (so it's questionable if they could have rigged it up in time anyway, including time taken to get a suitable ship there).
Mistakes were definitely made with the design of the plant (Onagawa Nuclear Plant is closer to the epicenter of the quake but had higher tsunami walls and better location of cooling pipes) which is obvious in hindsight, but the reactors were also very old and there were anti-nuclear sentiments that held back upgrading plants.

Oh, and TEPCO tried to very quietly contain the situation, playing down the seriousness of what was going on until it became painfully apparent that there was a full fledged meltdown occurring.