/sqt/ stupid questions thread

/sqt/ stupid questions thread

Attached: 1523111779502s.jpg (250x249, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/meriken/merikens-tripcode-engine-v3
lagom.nl/lcd-test/
osmc.tv/vero/
dune-hd.com/eng/products/full_hd_media_players/49
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Will installing more than one desktop environment in debian impact my computer's performance? Linux noob no bulli pls.

I just found out about this. Is it something worth getting?

Attached: yubikey-5-nfc_3.png (1000x1000, 796K)

My laptop is slow, i used to play dow2 in ultra settings but now its slower
What parameters of RAM performance should i use?
pic related, i7 z50/70. C has 90% of software

Attached: 1.jpg (618x231, 18K)

How do people come up with the directory structure for a project and what's some good practice?
I mean things like
src, include, docs, libs... This kind of stuff.

Get raped and kill yourself, you retarded fucking faggot sack of nigger shit with down syndrome.

Autism at its finest, FUCKING RETARD AN HERO OR KYS

try to clean it from dust

If I have two powerbanks with passthrough, such that each one can charge another device while it itself is being charged, would I be able to turn them into essentially one battery with twice the capacity by charging my device from a battery that is charging from a battery?
Or would things get fucky trying to charge a battery from a battery?

Linking this here as well in case this thread is more successful than the other one

Is there a simple gadget that I can use to plug a portable external hard drive into to play my media onto my tv. Preferably with a good ui, good video format support or just able to install vlc media player?

Don't most smart TVs support reading directly?

I've never tried it since my UHD BD player does and is more convenient for me to plug in to. (it even supports h.264 10-bit for anime)

Other than that you're looking at either streaming (chromecast or some such) or connecting directly to a HTPC. (you can pick up a Core2Duo PC off craigslist for $50 or a nice i5 off ebay for $90)

No, but install more than 1 DE is a mess. Try in vm if you want to test other DE.

Can I turn any USB into a rubber duck or do I need specific hardware

Attached: 1560919135231.jpg (732x1024, 64K)

github.com/meriken/merikens-tripcode-engine-v3
Tripcode Explorer sucks

I'm a total idiot from off Jow Forums can you dumb it down just a tad?

Alternatives to MPV? Whenever I put something in full screen, it bugs out my computer, and I have to restart to get it working properly again.

MPC-HC with madVR
aka K-Lite Standard.

is it worth keeping up with Angular? I started back in Angular 1 and 2, really liked it. Then they just kept releasing and now I am out of the loop. Should I even bother to catch up again?

Also, whats your strategy to keep up with today's (Javascript) frameworks?

Is that available for Ubuntu?

What's Ubuntu? Some version of Windows for Africa?

Just learn pure JavaScript.

what's the regex for empty headers in nginx's log (eg "-")?

How does a chromecast work? If I cast a youtube video from my phone, is my phone actually doing something?

Your phone only tells it what to play, once it's playing you could turn it off too but the chromecast keeps playing.

How do I set up my browser to restrict as much info about myself as possible, such as device type, OS type, browser type, timezone, language, etc?

Disable javascript and change the user agent.
OS/Device/Browser are all in the user agent.
Language has its own http header, in firefox it can be controlled through the intl.accept_languages preference.
Timezone can be read with javascript.

Depends entirely on the language and type of project, most people just use the structure provided by whatever project management their using.

Can someone recommend me a good pfSense box? It should have at least five gigabit ethernet ports, WiFi and a USB 3 port for NAS.

Attached: box.jpg (1000x1000, 77K)

resist finger printing in firefox
it's good to use ubo with all 3rd parties turned off

I just bought a new monitor (acer kg271u), for one the color seems slightly "washed out" compared to my old monitor, but more importantly I seem to be getting "coronas" on fast moving objects. I'm using it with freesync on my 1660 Ti, and I tried changing the "overdrive" setting in the OSD but it seems to be lock on "normal" while freesync is active.
Question is, is there any way to test the color accuracy, and to mitigate the movement ghosting/coronas without disabling freesync? Thanks.

why the fuck cant i open ublock element picker mode on youtube
it works anywhere else

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-13 g - bluetube-or8.png (395x163, 6K)

it still doesnt work

Got pic related connected to a desktop.
I want it to be off when the computer goes to sleep instead of being lit up. I tried the power options menu thingy in control panel but there wasnt an option for power in the dialog box for the midi keyboard.
Are there any other ways I could turn it off instead of plugging it out when the computer goes to sleep?
Please help,
Win10 x64, AMD Ryzen 3, Asus motherboard.

Attached: MPKMiniPlay-large.jpg (750x430, 45K)

--noremote -P
zapper and el picker work 4me
must be your profile try another

should I buy a 16:9 monitor or 21:9 monitor?

I bought myself muh first phone.
Can recommend what application to download?
What file manager?
What camera app? Gcam not available.
What browser?
What application recommended?
What gallery?
What

Hey, so is a 2080ti Super a thing or not? Most of the sites dont include it, i want to get the stronkest GPU, but if theres a upgraded 2080ti coming out, i can wait month or two

I cant get Debian VM to work on my PC. How am I supposed to do DFT calculations without Linux? Is there an idiots way to Linux? Only very simple solutions that require less than 100IQ.

Attached: 1508729826113.jpg (600x600, 57K)

Nvidia Tesla v100

You could try the windows subsystem for linux instead.

A VM should be pretty retard safe already, but unless you tell us what doesn't work no one can help you.

I'm trying to learn SDL for C game programming but the wiki's docs are weird and kinda vague
how do people use these?

So my second monitor is dead I think.
The Screen still works fine
I use the DVI on it to connect it to the GPU but this morning it just didnt do anything.
My PC still sees the Monitor when it's plugged but nothing shows up on it. 100% Not the cable I tasted it with 3 other. Same Results

If it's just a faulty DVI socket in the Monitor is that an easy fix? I really like to use this monitor for second screen I dont wanna get a new one but not sure how costy is it to fix it.

Fuck yeah, finally something to pair with my Xeon Phi 7290

Just bought some bottles of rum and gin.

Am I supposed to refrigerate them or keep them out with my ketchup?

>warm catsup

the trouble and cost it would take to fix a DVI port on a gpu, it would be better to get a new GPU.

you could try a HMDI to DVI if you have HMDI ports that work.

Warm for both.
mix it with cold drinks.

ketchup.... out of the fridge. you need to leave.

2080ti super will liking be a thing.

do you really need to spend 2-3k on a gpu?

21:9 is worth it mate.

i use to think it was a meme.

its like having a better desk to work with. movies are great on it too.

do you really need a pfsense program for such a small network.

No no. The Monitor has defuct DVI port not the GPU

Is three and four channel RAM faster than two? how much does channel matter compared to latency and MHZ?

no exp with fixing screens. if its a cheap screen look at refurbished monitors.

it get very complex fast.

for most gaming / high end systems only need two sticks.

really depends on the CPU are planning to use.

1440p 144hz bud
I mean, i will see how the 2080 super will fare, might settle for that

yea mate. it will be great for 1440.

27 KB

alright help me with this. I have a Gsync monitor paired with a 1080Ti. I want to use Freesync on my TV but I don't want to waste money on another PC. Will it be possible to put an AMD card on the same machine and connect it to the TV? will that work? Will I need to boot another version of windows or I can use two drivers within the same windows boot?
Please help me with this, I am planning to get an AMD card for the Freesync but I am still on the fence.

P.S.
Nvidia doesn't support Freesync on HDMI, hence why I need the AMD card to run Freesync on the Samsung TV.

Attached: 1559345815523.jpg (474x316, 21K)

>8.1 updates itself
>after restart I get a kernel security check BSOD
>can't boot anymore
>when selecting drive from device list in bios it freezes the bios
>use windows bro
>windows just werks
>not like linux
I don't have any other drive to copy files onto so I could reinstall. What the fuck do I do now?

Probably not. I really just want something I can plug into a gigabit fiber modem that gives me a few LAN ports and a WiFi.

I just thought pfSense would be nice for configurability and because I can easily use it with a VPN or run additional stuff like Syncthing on it.

I'm open to alternative suggestions though if you have any.

What is the best IPS monitor with freesync? And is this August a good time to build a gaming PC, or is it worth waiting until the next-gen consoles are officially announced? I'm thinking of skipping next-gen consoles but want to make sure my desktop is relatively futureproof, want to game at 144Hz 1440p or 1080p.

Every TV i have seen sold since ~2012 has had USB ports that you can just plug a portable HDD straight into, and then browse through some shitty interface for your video files.
Older/cheaper TVs wont play newer encoded video files, like h.265 (HEVC) but they'll play regular h.264 and older mpeg2/4 just fine.

I'm not a front-end dev (more full-stackish though that's a crap term) but i keep abreast of general developments in the JS/frontend world. My general tactic has been to occasionally make a JS website with the latest JS version and a few popular libs (eg gulp last time, webpack this time, angular last time, then react next time, vue next time, w/e).
To be proficient in a framework takes a lot of time investment, but IMO you can understand the general concepts in a day or two. Most of these frameworks only have one or two differentiators that set them apart.

Lots of libraries (esp. C libs) have that style of documentation. I never had a problem with SDL doc, its a bit brief but its open source so clone its repo (and the repo of whatever SDL_plugins you're using) and browse/step through their code to learn what you need.

It's up for debate whether next-gen consoles will see much more performance improvement. They are going to be developing more online-services and changing the 'landscape' since they can't innovate with performance yet want to remain relevant platforms.
In short, i don't think 'next-gen' consoles are going to change much.

Is there a video card that will give me the performance of a 2080 ti without paying for the premium feature of Ray tracing? I have no interest in Ray tracing I just want performance. I'm hoping to put a rig together with a 3950X later this year or around the start of next year.

Is there any significant reason to update my nvidia driver? I only play Warframe.

Attached: Untitled.png (558x516, 17K)

>is there any card as strong as the top of the line gpu with no competition, but ideally for half the price?

Can you recommend me a Futura and Optima font imitation to use in my web site, please?

>Missing the point of a stupid questions thread

It's not a challenge.

SIRS PLZ DO THE NEEDFUL

Attached: 1557370481561.jpg (380x379, 39K)

astronomy picture of the day and earth science photo of the day are the same picture today.

So, how do people go about backing up TB worth of stuff? I think it is time I did that. My laptop is over 7 years old, is there some kind of maintenance I should do?

I got 2x2TB disks in RAID1 on a NAS for general storage and backups.
Then one offline 8TB disk which I back up the backups every now and then in case of ransomware encrypting my network shares.

Large disks are very cheap today.
I'd get two of the same and some small USB RAID1 enclosure so you have some redundancy in case one disk breaks.

ah okay. having an 8gb offline is good, is it western digital?

It's an old slow SMR drive from seagate from 2015.
Today I'd probably get an ironwolf.

Get a beer cooler or something. Don't actually put cooling elements in it though, just use the insulation to maintain temperature. I'd verify there's absolutely no moisture build up though.
lagom.nl/lcd-test/
Some of these might identify some faulty colours. There are also some other colour calibration websites. No idea about coronas.
16:9. If you want more, get another monitor. Otherwise all the media you'll watch will have black borders.
I have two 8TB disks, one of which I keep at a friend's house. I back up to the other and swap them once a week. That's the easiest way to do the 3-2-1 backup in my opinion (3 backups, on 2 different media (sorta), 1 off-site).
WD externals have good internal drives, and are very cheap.

Can websites tell what browser themes I use on Firefox?

Attached: 1549407827692.png (390x536, 344K)

No.

yeah it will

Okay turns out most shows I have are h.265 what should I do? Convert over 200 gb of video into h.264 or find something that does support them?

How can i make this stupid ASS Windows 10 defrag tool recognize my Samsung M3 Portable EXTERNAL hard drive? I can access the hard drive without any problem, it shows at the BIOS and at the device manager, what i want is W10 to fucking show to me the HDD in that "optimize and defrag" window. WTF? This external hard drive is conected through an USB 3.0 and it's file system is exFAT. Defraggler used to find it without any issues, but fucking W10 just fucking can't.

Attached: 1230.gif (210x155, 1.7M)

If you are versed enough you could get something like an odroid-c2, it has a hevc decoder.
Stick it to the back of the TV and write a script that autoplays the first video file on a USB drive once one has been inserted.

Start menue, start typing computer management and open the app, click storage and then disk management

I'm just a passerby from /co/ I'm much too dumb for that

Maybe one of these can make you happy, but they seem quite pricey.
osmc.tv/vero/
dune-hd.com/eng/products/full_hd_media_players/49
And maybe even nvidias tv shield thing, but I'm not sure if it can play from USB.

Nothing, windows just fucking can't or won't give me the option to defrag this fucking external hard drive.

Thanks mate!

is pic related worth it? need a newish laptop

Attached: asus.png (1298x585, 300K)

To do what? Editing 4k video? Probably not.

In c sizeof(int) returns 4 and sizeof(char) returns 1.
But when I try adding the size of either to a memory address, the change is always 4 times larger than I think it should be and I can't figure out why.
&b: 718 &b+sizeof(int): 728 &b+sizeof(char): 71C
I would assume &b+sizeof(int) would evaluate to &b+4 (71C) but instead its behaving like &b+16 (728) (4&16 both in DEC)
I just can't find a logical reason for the changes to behave this way

Attached: IntenseLackOfUnderstanding.jpg (600x338, 41K)

In C, pointer arithmetic is always some multiple of the size of the type the pointer is for.

sizeof(int) is indeed 4, which turns the statement into
&b+4 but C then thinks you want to add 4 times the size of an int (assuming b is an int).

boot any distro, like xubuntu, put your shit on mega for now [if it's sensitive use 7zip with pasword n shit], reinstall wendies or install xubuntu

Ok, that makes sense, is there any way to explicitly state that I want to add the literal value 4, and not 4sizeof(int)? I'm thinking of switching it to an integer, preforming the operations, then back to a pointer, but a syntax for adding non multiples would probably be cleaner

The only way I know of to do that is to cast it to some other pointer type and back. Like: ((int*)(((char*)&b)+1)).

Ugly AF, could probably remove some of the parentheses if you know rhe precedence rules better.

How do people make desktops like these on windows 10?

Attached: desktop.jpg (1920x1080, 247K)

hide the taskbar, set the window color to black.

It should work but would likely not be power efficient (charging a battery wastes a lot of energy).

Get a usb cable with a switch. almost all computers keep usb ports powered sleeping.

16:10 > 16:9 > 4:3 > everything else > 21:9

Is ther any significant reason not to ?