Could you guys advise me, a absolut technological boomer, on VPNs?

Could you guys advise me, a absolut technological boomer, on VPNs?
Which are good? Which should one avoid? What is some basic knowledge everyone using a VPN should have?

Attached: 7213BC7F-5216-40DC-815A-ECBEAEB8AFF4.png (1200x720, 144K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/xlinuxmanx/auto-vpn.
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

rent cheap 1gbps VPS and install foxyproxy

You shouldn't use that ones which have logs. And free ones

what's a good, cheap, and freedom-centric VPS?

Definitely avoid the free VPN options. They all log (probably directly to whatever government you are subject to) and cannot be trusted. As to what VPNs can be trusted: I am not aware of any VPN that is worth the price for the level of anonymity that they offer. You are better off crafting your own solution ala

It's too late for you OP, your social credit score has now been adjusted.

Learn to use secure browsing first, then you can think of a VPN.

>learn to use https everywhere
>install a secure browser like IceCat
>install a secure OS like Gentoo
>knowing how to disable scripts / what they do / when to enable them
>knowing certificates
>knowing how to config your browser
>knowing how to prevent MITM attacks
>knowing how to avoid tracking
>knowing how to monitor your traffic
When you know these things, you can start thinking whether you want a VPN or not and which one.

>install a secure OS like Gentoo
What's wrong with Arch in terms of security?
Plus wouldn't Tails be the most secure and easily accessible operating system available? Gentoo has quite the learning curve for the average joe

Why choose Gentoo over something like Tails or Whonix?

He doesn't need Tails unless he is doing Assange-type shit. For everyday browsing Gentoo or another other distro of your choice is fine.

>Arch
AUR is shit though. Most packages are unaudited.

fpbp

Start at privacytools.io. they have a good starter list.

You want one that keeps no logs, is ideally not headquarters in a nation with gag rules ( or 5 eyes, so no US.) , Gives tons of info on it's own tech and most importantly something rarely listed - has at least an option for using exclusively servers under their direct ownership and control. The vast majority of policies are moot if govts or others can simply go to the hoster in whatever node and have them backdoor it or dump logs etc. The only way to have any chance against this is for the VPN to own the hardware in colocation areas they own or maybe really trust. Other nice to haves are multi hop, TOR i2p bridges, and supporting not only OpenVPN ( the minimum sufficient VPN technology as ipsec and pptp are crap ) but also WireGuard a new open source tech with lower overhead. Another good feature is the ability to buy account access tokens separate from the account itself, which usually leads to resellers. Likewise if they have their own VPN client variant it must be open source and use typical protocols

Don't forget to watch the lines for suspicious behavior even when talking about those on so called good lists. For instance NordVPN is better than many, but it's name purposefully makes people think it's from Iceland or Sweden etc...but it's actually hq in Panama.

Do Not Go to that one privacy site or that one VPN site today, as it has just recently been compromised with known shit vpns being marked safe.

So depending on your needs I would suggest the following.

Mullvad is a great all around choice doing most of the good stuff I mentioned above
ProtonVPN is reasonable and popular for good reasons.
CryptoStorm is in theory amazing, but there is a small chance it's grey market defiant nature is a Honeypot. This hasn't materialize for years so it's probably run by a guy as the most grey market VPN provider this side of the darknet but keep it in mind.

Can't go wrong /w mullvad

dumb boomer, the key is to not use any VPN service at all... like user mentioned create your own VPN/proxy. I actually created my own tutorial on GitHub on how to do this, its so fucking easy you can do it - github.com/xlinuxmanx/auto-vpn.
but like user also said learn to secure yourself first as well. and stop using botnet services like google. if you're going to want to be "s-secure" and "p-private" but still use these services, then youre an absolute retard and should just kys.

I'm sorry to read those direct replies, but... those anons are right.

VPN in a nutshell:
> want anonymity, privacy and security
> have to trust VPN provider (As there is no real free software on a server)

Airvpn is one of the best. Nord,PIA,and many others are memes and should be avoided like the plague

mullvad is the best one

How exactly do VPS work?

bump

Redpill me on any of the following:
>Private Internet Access
>Mullvad
>NordVPN
>VyprVPN
>TunnelBear
>CyberGhost

Any and all which you have experience with

Attached: 1560964363421.jpg (1080x1350, 74K)

mullvad is the only good one on that list, most of the others are literal botnet, especially PIA being US based (inb4 muh proven no logs!)

All things equal, what's a good price on a VPN service?
3 years for $72?

I paid $80 for 5 years of PureVPN, so like $1.33 per month. It was a Christmas special, no idea how often it goes that low, price is much higher now.

Your deal at $2 per month is close enough.

>NordVPN
>VyprVPN
>TunnelBear
>CyberGhost
What are the problems with those?

Cyberghost is good, romanian based, no logs, service is good.

Couldn't find any active 5 year deals for PIA.
(Yeah. I'm going with PIA.)

I've used Nord before and they have shown in the courts a couple of times that they don't keep logs. Trusting ANY VPN is sketch though because they can be ordered to start logs any time without notice if you become interesting. Best choice is to have your own VPS and runn OpenVPN on it so you can secure it yourself. This is only a little more secure though, as its still someone else's server.

Jow Forums is so impressively retarded when it comes to anything that isn't muh programmin

protonvpn

USA based VPN? Lol. It's like you're retarded or something. Get Airvpn or mullvad

Purevpn based in Hong Kong that logs? Why did you pick them?

bump