Change fields to IT because reasons

>change fields to IT because reasons
>enroll in a master's program with zero experience in the field (a good uni took me despite my lack of experience in IT due to grades from my other, not really relevant degree and is making me take a short provisional course)
>program is one 8 week course at a time for two solid years
Am I going to get my ass handed to me due to again, having no IT experience or will the fact I'm not also working at the same time [given MBA students tend to be working full-time] balance it out? Deciding between infosec and data science as a speciality since the rest were memes and/or shit I don't want to do

Before someone whines about the degree being a waste, shit is getting competitive and I'm in my mid 20s STARTING another program, I need an edge

Attached: 1560494306269.jpg (949x448, 274K)

Jesus Christ.
>masters program
I hope you are prepared to fork over the dough.

>having no IT experience
you dont need experience IT is a meme

Dude, you can get a IT job on a 2 year degree or just getting some certs for a few hundred dollars if you're already familiar with tech.
I head a helpdesk and all I've got is an A+ and a Network+.
You get degrees for EE and CS (Emphasis on the science part), you don't need a degree at fucking all for IT.

just be yourself bro

Wait a few years. The market is flooded with recent CS grads and there aren't nearly enough entry level jobs to support them all. Pretty soon you'll need a bachelor's degree just to help desk.

i just got help desk job with no experience.

>IT
>masters
you're not gonna make it bro, even if you do graduate.

That already happened, and it amazes me how many inept people have degrees.
We stopped taking 2-4 year degrees in to account when hiring since we've had SO MANY that obviously took IT in collage because they heard it was money but don't really have an aptitude for it or really care about it. These people always fall to the bottom of the pile on the team. While on the flip side fucking 20 year olds who love tech but have no formal education grow at the job a ton when we hire them.
We gave up on it as a hiring metric. As much as it will do for you is mostly guarantee an interview with us but thats it. Dosn't help when you have idiots with degrees that demand more pay just because of the degree despite the kid we hired with no experience doing a better job.

The master's is far cheaper than a bachelor's program the way I'm doing it, as for certs those aren't nearly enough anywhere somewhat relevant from what I've read everywhere

This smells either like bullshit or some random company in bumfuck nowhere, good fucking luck getting a non brainlet job anywhere without a degree or nepotism

>dude just have as little credentials as possible

I'm in a US Fortune 50. Our core IT is about 3k people with my department accounting for about 400 of those. Its how our department works and how many of the other IT departments along side of us also work, but I know some of the departments do set up their requirements differently then us (not all positions would probably fill well using our ideology depending on the task).

You should be aiming for a entry level job and use that to spring board, train on the side or at work during that time to move up, don't let yourself stagnate to stay at the same position forever. Work needing an AD admin? Crash coarse that shit and perhaps get a cert and apply for the job. Use your work experience as your resume.
I hate to break it to you but there is more then one way to get in to IT. Collage is a valid course, but certs work as well. I know easily a dozen people in high up IT roles that started from nothing with no degree. And no, I'm not a literal 55yo+ boomer, I'm in my early 30s and worked retail till I was 27.

i hope you know how to suck dick with your butthole

IT has nothing to do with knowledge. It has everything to do with experience.

Most people mistakenly stumble into it - like VoIP.

Wrong; I have a BS in IT, currently do little related to it as a data engineer, mostly programming, where most, if not all of my coworkers have CS degrees or masters/phds, or some none at all or nothing related to tech.

If you want to do help desk, sure, that two year degree or certs that even a brain dead can pass are worthwhile. If you're good enough on your own you don't need anything, but you'll have to break the barrier first.

Realistically after your first job your degree won't matter that much, if not at all.

This. I've seen people with 2 masters degrees do fuck all at work, and think they deserve a raise just because they have the degree. Protip: if you don't have the aptitude or the work ethic you will not succeed no matter how many titles you have.

>I've seen people with 2 masters degrees do fuck all at work,
were they related to the field they were working on?

Change your wording or post style a little if you're going to samefag this hard

the fuck

yes

2 masters degree in what? Machine learning? software engineering? what were the tasks?

i just find that hard to believe

>break the barrier
This can be very rough.

Yes. I know.

I thought so. I just wanted to make it clear for people. Can't be too careful.

I know

>collage

Attached: collage-windows.jpg (2230x1965, 807K)

He sounds salty enough that I'd believe he's butthurt over losing a promotion to someone with better qualifications

It's not hard to believe at all, especially if they're hired into the wrong position.

I had a coworker that was recommended and hired with a phd in ML/AI for network security. He was complete ass at the position he was hired for, took a year to finally kick him to data science where he excelled.

Nothing like being a junior teaching someone with a phd how to do the simplest of things multiple times because they for whatever reason cannot remember the simplest of shit. The day he went to his proper team was wonderful.

>Master's degree in pretty much bullshit

Uh... so, have you considered just selling your ass to a consultant company in something IT related?

Let me explain as best as someone with autism who works in IT can do. You have "pures" who are developers with their own niches; they keep the lights running, they do technical tasks, and they can typically be retasked assuming patience and materials/time. E.g., your pure java dev can probably become an okay python dev in a few weeks. Probably a few months for something weird like legacy systems.

You then have hybrid roles that are the inbetween of business/management and technology. Business analysts, project analysts, project managers, program managers, technical analysts, project leads, solutions architects, project engineers, product owners, scrum masters, etc. Point is, most of these have some technical background, but don't really "live in it", e.g., your PM probably can read the code or make small changes to it, but can't exactly remake it.

Point is, these latter roles have high demand and reasonably good salaries and job security if performed well. They can also often be taken with vaguely related credentials or with a consultanting company as a middle man. It sounds like you're taking on a huge amount of debt and time for a meme degree. KEEP IN MIND

>Most dev roles are glass ceiling
So, a dev role for an entry level will get you like 60-80k in NYC, Cali, DC with an established company. Every 2 years or so your salary will increase by like 30k at market. Until you hit around 180k, which will pretty much be a glass ceiling for a pure at which point you will be forced into some sort of management or consulting role. The real money is going into some sort of hybrid supportive role and going executive. For instance, an SA at a good company will earn 180k, with maybe 250k being a top out for less than 15 years experience. BUT an SA can also usually become a director or etc. Which can then earn 250k easily.

interesting

Like if you want to bend over and get fucked, there are plenty of "NO EXPERIENCE NEEDED" companies you can go to like FDM, M3, Revature, etc. Keep in mind, they will take like 2/3 of whatever you make and probably keep you in the job with threats of legal action. With this said, if I had to choose between making 50k at a slave driver company for a year and then go get an entry level role for like 80k I would do so over a masters in IT.

If you want to get fucked less, try Cap Gemini, Cognizant, maybe Accenture. Most of these are Pajeet infested, though.

voip SMEs are, as a class, the dumbest, most overpaid mouthbreathers I've ever encountered.

I'm jealous I didn't go that route.