Why should one use pic related rather than other OS ?

Why should one use pic related rather than other OS ?

Attached: gentoo.png (512x512, 104K)

Special snowflakeness and autism.

the game

Attached: 1560980728403.png (1024x576, 281K)

They like it

when you have an architecture other than 86_64, or you value your disk space more than your time

Better package mamagement than most other OSes.

>value disk space
Storage is dirt cheap

What are you implying?

I tried Gentoo on a laptop with an Atom. Installing a DE took literally three days.

It's the mid grown between autism like writing your own OS à la Terry Davis, and autism like being a virgin windows user.
But at the same time, gentoo is for very insecure autists who want tho have atomic control of their OS, but not too much to the point to having to learn C programing or stuff like that.
Chads autists do the others ways around:
1. They use any other OS at hand, don't complain, and proceed to get things done, like actual work.
2. They deeply modify an existing OS by editing it's src, write their own OS from scratch, or, the most conservatives, use LFS.

Attached: dmr-ken.jpg (980x606, 274K)

So Gentoo is a piece of crap ?

Absolutely not.

The point of gentoo is to compile your software yourself (via the portage package manager). If you have a slow cpu, well, It's obvious that this will take a while.

What's the benefit of Gentoo then ?

Benefits:
Doing things yourself means you learn a lot
Backed by autist that know what they are doing
Complete freedom
Optimized and fast
Good documentation

Drawbacks:
Compiling, researching, fixing, learning takes time, computer resources, and power

xD
I was about to install gentoo also till I saw a youtube vid of a dude taking 30 min to install firefox

so
?

For big software many people use (e.g. firefox or libreoffice), there are binaries in portage as well. Most programs take about 30 seconds to compile.

If you are concerned about free software, this is the only way to make sure that your program is indeed from the code you want (servers can't actually he trusted. See stallman talks for more info). Additionally, as you compile all yourself, you can use USE flags, which tell portage what features to include and which ones to leave out, resulting in performance boosts and low file size.
For example, if you don't have a wireless network card, don't compile it into linux. This makes your kernel very, very fast if you know how to optimize correctly.

install gentoo

And what does this have to do with disk space?
Software compiled with aggressive optimizations actually often tends to be larger.

Portage is the only package manager I've used that has never shit itself into dependency hell, unlike "stable" distributions like Debian.
People who think Gentoo is a neckbeard distro either never actually used it and merely spout memes, or are neckbeards themselves and believe the point of Gentoo is being "minimal". You configure it once, then forget about it. It's incredibly low maintenance.

It's not this kind of optimization. Features you don't need aren't even included into the code to compile.