Lmfao at ur router if you get anything less than A+ for bufferbloat

lmfao at ur router if you get anything less than A+ for bufferbloat

Attached: you may not like it.png (307x162, 32K)

>i'm special because it happens i live in a place where there's coverage for this service and i can afford it!!!
inb4 cope

The bufferbloat rating is a function of your routing hardware and network configuration, not your ISP. So yes, cope

dslreports wont work at all for me with local servers.

I'm east coast US and the closest servers it wants to connect to are mid-west and shit.

Wont connect to DC, wont connect to deleware, wont connect to new york.

Just seems broken to me

Attached: 2019-06-22 14_19_04.png (294x389, 14K)

Yeah, DSLreports claims their closest server to me is Silver spring (atlantech)

well they ALSO run a speedtest.net server, and it works flawlessly.

Has to be something wrong with DSLreports or something.

Attached: 2019-06-22 14_22_09.png (740x540, 38K)

>bufferbloat
>Gaymen
Unbloat your Windows 10 Home install first rart

fpbp

Counting can be hard sometimes, even if you are right.

>bufferbloat
Fuck knows what that is and how to fix it

I get C bufferbloat and A+ quality with firefox esr but A+ bufferbloat and D quality with chrome
the fuck

first, second, third, fourth, fisixth

>how to spell 5th

Bufferbloat is basically just congestion on your router not being able to process everything it's being requested to do at the same time, so it makes some things wait, causing extra latency.

You can get around this by using QoS to slow down certain connections and artificially limit them from requesting too much data. Or you can get a more powerful router that is capable of dealing with all of the traffic you're creating at the speeds you need.

For gigabit speeds, this means you need a fairly hefty router.

What the fuck do I do about this? I have no idea what kind of QoS settings to use to make this better. What kind of traffic should I be prioritizing if not the traffic I'm actively trying to max out?

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 1.36.06 PM.png (511x310, 32K)

don't change tabs at all while the test is running

Still a pretty good result. What's your router?
Router?

>Router?
A computer running Linux. Way more processing power and memory than any consumer router, just haven't set any QoS settings because I didn't know I needed to. Just need to know what kind of traffic I should be filtering into different prioritizations.

Should I even be concerned about it if I don't upload anything anyway?

Attached: 1552144203430.png (517x335, 11K)

Yes. Something's clearly wrong with your router and that may fuck up things seemingly unrelated to this particular bit of behavior. Also if your ISP-provided upload speed isn't very high, you may run into this problem more often than you think.

Took it again and got an A, so maybe it's fine and I don't need to do anything. The laptop I'm testing on is very old and I'm connected over wifi, so that might be causing it too.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 1.56.35 PM.png (523x313, 31K)

My current router firmware doesn't have any QoS and I'll need to disable HW offload to have QoS working from what I know.
Dunno what would actually be better, not like I notice any major issues with my ping or internet speed anyway during the normal usage.

Yeah, don't ever test this shit over WiFi. WiFi makes the bufferbloat issue truly fucked. Also, regarding your Linux PC "router", you might be able to tweak your kernel config to be better at routing if you do end up with issues on ethernet.

crawling in my skin

Attached: 1560138835189.png (638x487, 28K)

No point in trying to mitigate it if the problem originates from my ISP anyway (Comcast's coaxial cable service, though reliable, is pretty shit).

Waiting for real estate prices to settle down before I move somewhere that has AT&T's fiber service available so Comcast doesn't try to charge cut-throat prices for its own fiber service, which doesn't suffer from bufferbloat, by the way.

>WiFi makes the bufferbloat issue truly fucked
I wouldn't think it would be that bad. I'm using multiple dedicated wireless access points all hooked into a gigabit switch that the router's on. It shouldn't be fucking with anything too much unless it's my laptop's side of the wireless stack that's causing issues (which again is very likely because this laptop is pretty old).
>you might be able to tweak your kernel config to be better at routing
My kernel config is already pretty well setup for routing

A+ reporting in

Attached: 1548662483162.png (634x375, 43K)

Beauty. Router?

What tests are those? Can I get a name or a link?

It's just DSLreports' results page

I did the test. Does that mean that ye olde WDR-4300 isn't cutting it anymore? I'm running OpenWRT on it with dns-based adblocking installed. About 5 clients connected, but rarely more than 2 active at the time.
Speedtest seems a little fishy though, this connection is a solid 150/75 if not a bit more. I can get almost 20MiBps download and 10MiBps upload speed, be it in other speedtests or in real use cases.

Attached: 1549260039673.png (654x552, 42K)

if you're running openwrt, using sqm with the cake scheduler should give you an a+ with very little effort.

Are the results different if you take it again?

Any routers around $70 that are particularly good at QoS? I've tried setting it up properly before on DD-WRT back in the day, on my old WRT54GL. It ended up feeling like shit though and my ping was through the roof 99% of the time. I haven't messed with it since then and just used my ISP's modem/router combo.

Googling suggests the Archer C7 but there's an A9 that just came out and its $68 with a coupon on amazon. I use wifi a lot so I don't want to just grab one of those quick-but-wifiless routers.

More or less the same. I have an radio-based connection (antenna on some tall building and on the roof of my house, I'm living outside of the city). Sometimes I'm getting massive ping spikes, maybe due to rain or wind. Pic related is a ping test taken yesterday I think. Today it's way better. No idea why this happens.

Attached: 1551813299407.png (885x478, 84K)

Lol at that throughput

I think if your connection is that spotty then it doesn't really matter which router you use.

As I said, not always like that. Here, a test I took just now. Sometime it's almost straight lines. Not sure what's at fault, connection, router or ISP fucking with me. Any suggestions on how to debug it further? I tried pinging the antenna from my router (and my router from my pc, obviously) and the highest I've ever seen was like 5ms. Usually less than 1ms.

Attached: 1559475686936.png (868x396, 31K)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Attached: 1536138616442.png (1428x1072, 172K)

>What's your router?
The ISP provided router.

G1100.