FEDORA IS READY TO ACCEPT STEAM

OH NONONONONONONO

Attached: Screenshot_2019-06-22-14-36-10.png (960x540, 181K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items
subdiff.org/blog/2019/new-website-new-company-new-partners-new-code/
wiki.gnome.org/Apps
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

WTF I have fedora now

WTF GUYS!
Year of the Linus desktop confirmed!

what a pathetic distro

why is ubuntu going full gay with no steam?

Steam has to leave Ubuntu because Ubuntu is dropping 32-bit.

Fedora isn't bad. It's just a shame it's defaulting to the worst DE.

> tfw using Fedora since Lovelock
comfy

Ubuntu is literally DEAD.

fedora is bloat

All Distro should tell Steam to fuck off and adopt 64bit binaries. Progress into the future or get left behind.

They can try with fedora but they will fail all the same. Let's face it - they were in way over their head trying to put something as complex as games on that shitty OS anyways. Orchestrating all the hardware of the machine - as is required by a modern computer game - is no simple task. Hell, they weren't even able to get it right back in the 90s.

Linux trannies should just do what they do best, which is to make shitty little open source apps and serve web pages.

fedora, kde, wayland, flatpak, ibms money
that would be my goto distro

We'd still lose Wine,though. What a mess.

>Then Valve responds by switching to BSD

>trying to put something as complex as games on that shitty OS anyways.
We're not talking about windows here.

>...and nobody uses it.

oh, sounds like a good thing desu

Sony and Nintendo uses it.

Fuck no! All you Zoomers get out of my based distro.
Go install Manjaro or something!

Attached: thatfeelwhenusingfedora.png (442x293, 66K)

Good riddance.

Predicting 20 new Fedora forks by next year.
You read it here first!

Good luck getting a retard gamer to switch to a BSD operating system. Most of them can't handle point and click Ubuntu.

It makes the most of it though.

Sure, it's the best GNOME experience you'll get outside of just using Budgie or Cinnamon.

Honestly, wouldn't want them to get more popular as long as Red Hat supports Gnome

>using BSD anything
That would literally mark you as a permavirgin

>FEDORA IS READY TO ACCEPT STEAM
I doubt that one package maintainer (no matter how many packages he maintains) is able to decide such a thing. As it stands now Fedora won't include Steam in their repos due to their relatively strict guidelines.
fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items

Never tried Budgie, but Cinnamon and GNOME 3 offer very different experiences.

Budgie is basically GNOME without lag. Cinnamon is GNOME skinned to look like an actual desktop instead of a tablet UI.

fedora shows a button to enable 3rd party repos directly in gnome software, you can install even nvidia drivers in 3 clicks

>>FEDORA IS READY TO ACCEPT STEAM
>I doubt that one package maintainer is able to decide such a thing.
>t.package maintainer here.
Yes, we are able to decide such things, as long as it fits with Fedora's strictly FOSS guidelines. I don't think Steam fits the guidelines for the main repo, but I could definitely see it in RPMfusion, which all Fedora users have enabled anyway.

IBM set them up to fail. The word has come down from on high.

Only turboautists use Linux

>ps4 chads are permavirgins
???

BSD uses virtually the same software set as linux so your linux gamer would feel no difference

make another windows shill thread. we don't have enough of them

That wouldn't magically make thousands of old 32-bit games 64-bit.

Really? I might have to check that out. Thanks.

They're not because nobody knows they're running BSD, not even themselves

They will start endorsing OpenSUSE, mark my words.

Attached: 1546155680754.png (1732x1442, 327K)

what does this mean for plebs like me who use mint?
does mint rely on ubuntu or something?
i dont want to have to install some autism edition of linux where i have to do weird shit like compiling or writing shit into a terminal, i just want to play games without windows

Fuck fedora.
Let's go, openSUSE!

Why steam isn't 64bit?

>default to the best de
ftfy, if you are retarded enough to care about the window manager you can just install anything else with the terminal or choose the correct distro subhuman ape distrohopper nigger

Could ubuntu based operating systems feasibly switch to another base like Fedora/RH or Arch without it being a total clusterfuck?

retard, ubuntu neither does ship steam.
Not a single distro that is respectable would store proprietary software in its main repositories. They ship it with universe or some shit like that, debian with non free, etc, it's never going to be maintained by the distro maintainers.
But they can make modifications so that the package steam makes works on fedora. They don't need to fucking package steam subhuman nigger ape

wtf does IBM have to do with ubuntu?
they have redhat

It's all their apps that are garbage, not just the wm.

It's more that they are willing to actively work with steam and developers to become the well, target distribution for games. Which would be a great PR boon. Personally i feel a fork that has extremely dedicated maintainers for the desktop side rather than something inherently tied to the server side is better.

And honestly, Fedora is in no way as out of the box user friendly as Ubuntu, that would be something they or Gnome need to be wiling to work on.

See subdiff.org/blog/2019/new-website-new-company-new-partners-new-code/
>As a freelancer I am contracted by Valve to work on certain gaming-related XServer projects and improve KWin in this regard and for general desktop usage

fucking retarded. Nothing wrong with 32 programs and many are good. No WINE? No 32 games? Come the fuck on.

Footfags btfo

Attached: 1504284270872.png (632x604, 200K)

Oh, hi

I was just browsing my favorite website (Reddit) and they said that every time GNOME lags your mouse cursor will lag too.

I'm here looking for some clarification on this matter. Why would you call this piece of software "The best DE" when it presents such behavior.

xoxo

>apps
yeah go back to your fucking dedicated shitting street and stop using linux
Nautilus indexing is fucking mad though, I get how it can piss you off

I'd like fedora and centos better if selinux didn't suck so much.

No way, something with server backing is perfect. Seriously, Steam's next move is home servers, lightweight frontends running whatever from Mac Minis, NUCs, iMacs, All in ones to APU powered things. That sure, will play a few lightweight games or counterstrike locally, but they want to put out a headless version of steam that you can install in a docker or just as a stand alone branded box with your big boy CPU and GPU (or multiple) in.

They can push Streaming/Cloud and not even need their own infrastructure, people will be bringing their own.

>Thinking normies and gayyymers who get chubbies over 6ft tall LED rainbow vomit monstrosities will ever accept the server-client model.

>why do people hate gnome, I'll try it myself it can't be that bad
>fresh gnome install on my i7 nvme 2080
>every 5 seconds a little gnome (gnot an elf) comes to eat my fps
>my mouse is floaty, is this os running in the cloud
>change drivers
>same problem
>switch to igpu
>same problem
>follow all the recommended guides to improve gnome
>they ask me to go to a website, download a javascript extension
>current version is not supported
>file saving dialog
>starts typing
>gnume starts a recursive search instead of naming the file
>drop said extension in gnome_modules anyway
>de slows to a crawl
>try gtk apps
>they are all bad and I can't believe how dumb consumer(ist) oriented garbage they feel like
I just can't believe people are funding this thing. I'm sorry I bashed KDE for so long I'll stop because if they are gone we are truly fucked. i3/sway on everything is not viable. I just donated $200, I'm sorry KDE.

Fedora workstation is pretty boss.

muh claoud
muh iot
etc.

And redhat has Fedora.

I own(ed) a PS4 and can confirm I did not know it used BSD

Isn't it a shot in the foot?
I do understand that decision from a technical standpoint but isn't compatibility with legacy software the shittiest but the most critical factor of what makes an operating system popular and or viable as a platform in the first place?

I mean look at MS Windows. It wouldn't be where it is right now if it wasn't for the deliberate decision to make sure that applications made in 1998 work on newest releases.

yep
so once again, what does that have to do with ubuntu?

Not really.
There is a lot of 32bit software around and Ubuntu is dropping ALL support for it.
You should be able to run both 32bit and 64bit software on an x86_64 system. That's the entire point.

>how will red hat possibly figure out something as complex as gaming

>FEDORA IS READY TO ACCEPT STEAM
>no one said it in both tweets
Are you retard?

yeah, quantum computers, servers and cloud applications are so trivial compared to gaming.
Like, a PS4 subscription is 100 USD a year but a red hat workstation is 300 USD. Let alone the server with support is like 1200 USD.
Subhuman windows trash monkey idiot

They should adopt gentoo unironically

You should still be able to run 32 bit binaries in one of those container environments like snap or docker or whatever. The Linux kernel doesn't care about Ubuntu dropping 64-bit libraries.

Unironically m$

>It wouldn't be where it is right now
Shitty and bloated? Please, never become an attorney.

oof,you may be on to something.

>Shitty and bloated?
This is the result of the aforementioned deliberate decision, not the cause.

What I mean by saying "Where it is now" was being the first and in many cases the only choice as a platform to run desktop applications especially specialized software like cad

You being angry doesn't bring anything to the discussion.

Elaborate? I know that canonical and MS were in bed for some projects but I can't see the connection in this context.

Like a whore dropping her panties for the clink clink of proprietary coin.

not him but its rumored that canonical is molding the company to be selled in the near future
if they had a potential buyer, and ms would make a lot of sense, they would bend in any way as long as it doesnt devaluate their assets

>not him but its rumored that canonical is molding the company to be selled in the near future
Sad stuff, I haven't heard about it and hope it isn't true.

>if they had a potential buyer, and ms would make a lot of sense, they would bend in any way as long as it doesnt devaluate their assets
Fair assumption, but how exactly dropping 32 bit support is going to help it?

Sure, 32bit support was a good thing in the past, but honestly, people just need to give it up. Everyone should agree upon a deadline to get their shit sorted, even if it means years from now, and pull the plug on it universally. Otherwise, we're going to have the usual routine, where we have a bunch of half-assed solutions.

>one contributor speaks for the entire project
posting screenshots from social cancer should be a bannable offense. I guess if I become a trisquel contributor and then tweeted about how much I love windows that means the entire project is compromised, right? stupid fucks

>Fair assumption, but how exactly dropping 32 bit support is going to help it?
It's bloat if you are going only for Cloud and IoT, which is what Canonical is currently focused at.

>Fair assumption, but how exactly dropping 32 bit support is going to help it?
I didn't said that, I was trying to explain where that user tinfoil was coming from.
A lot of companies' actions sound illogical until you find out what their new strategy is. Often they do insane things just to fit some insane goals they came up with. Like Windows 8.

That's perfectly fine wishful thinking and a goal to strive for but I don't think it's realistic in any ways in a world where entire governments rely on garbage legacy applications written by people long dead in a way that makes it impossible or too expensive to adapt to newer standards/architecture/technology
People have been saying "people just need to give it up" about cobol for the last 50 years and it's still going strong

They build a container from the base system.
If the base system doesn't have 32bit libraries then you'd still have to supply ALL of them yourself.

Isn't it precisely how Windows 32 bit applications work?

If we disregard possible tragic consequences of this decision snap/appimage based model of vendoring legacy applications requiring 32bit library support getting more popular is a win for both canonical (offloading the work/resources required to maintain 32bit package base) and the user (statically linked 32 bit libraries to run this one specific application makes the whole application package more robust against updates/changes).

good riddance

>according to Fedora's current guidelines, steam and some libs wouldn't even be accessible via the official repos
might be a slight issue.

>oh look, a “normie Linux is getting BTFO so now one that’s cooler will win.... and become the normie distro”
How is this a win at all for anyone?

>absolute state of linux trannys

Someone will probably create a 3rd party repo with 32-bit libraries.

You realize that GNOME itself calls them apps?
wiki.gnome.org/Apps

stop moving the goalposts to evaluating the DE, there's a shit ton of desktops to choose in fedora from the fucking installer
you change distros because of the desktop lol you're a retarded nigger monkey and your iq is single digit so go the fuck back to your poohole

>Lovelock
First version of Fedora I tried. Pretty comfy.
I'd probably go back to Fedora if they didn't use Gnome 3 by default.

there's a shit ton of desktops to choose in fedora from the fucking installer

The fuck does it have to do with moving goalposts? I'm saying you don't need to throw a fit, because someone called GNOME programs apps.

Jow Forums told me Fedora KDE Edition is pretty shitty compared to openSUSE or Manjaro KDE Edition.

It is. The Xfce spin is pretty comfy though.

Why not just pick Debian? Is it because of "muh freedoms" software?

>
maintaining an architecture whole set of libraries is easier said than done
have sex, packaging steam for another distribution is better