What distro ?

i m going to quit vidya

what distro

Attached: archbtw.jpg (480x360, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Steam
linuxfromscratch.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

OpenBSD. Else you'd be too tempted to just run steam for linux.

hahahahahaha no you fucking wont

Arch

Quit vidya?
New to linux I assume?
Linux mint is your friend

arch if you can install it. follow a guide outside of the arch wiki that will hold your hand for your first time since the arch wiki intentionally makes things more difficult than they have to be.

It’s not that hard to play vidya on Arch

I'm just going to do what everyone will do here and shill the distro i use, Nixos

Attached: nixgirl.png (1920x1080, 533K)

Whatever can run a PS3 emulator.

Because NOGAEMS!

Attached: SonyAnus.jpg (251x45, 3K)

i tried linux mint in virtualbox
didn't like it much

would u recommend arch for new linux users ?

Bunsenlabs is my comfy.

I literally quit vidya by nuking windows 7 and switching to Arch, but that was in 2011 and there is plenty of vidya that works on Arch now.

was arch your first linux experience?

make your own OS, or use a meme OS like Haiku.

Depends on how quickly you need to turn the computer into something useful when you're done tinkering. I'd say yes though. If you're coming from Windows and install Ubuntu, it doesn't take very long to realize you have no clue what's going on under the hood. At least with Arch that's a given, and the feature-additive nature is more intuitive than figuring out what's already baked in.

Ubuntu

don't install a distro. they are comprised of heavily modified software packages where some committee has decided what's best for you.

Install from scratch and compile packages from source, obtained from the original authors, so they are unaltered and optimized for your hardware.

Distro committees don't respect your freedom.

so i should just follow a guide and don't understand what i m doing ?
since i know jackshit about linux

Literally gentoo

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Steam

linuxfromscratch.org/

this will teach you everything you need to know while building your own system

Attached: 1547421765978.png (648x720, 323K)

but i heard gentoo is a meme

Attached: no.jpg (336x301, 11K)

Debian with only CLI

Nixos is based

shut the fuck up. you're not smart and elite for using LFS, you hacker wannabe retard. Get a real hobby rather than obsessing over a fucking operating system. "Muh sourcebased compiled software" kill yourself

gentoo is a timewaster distro for people with nothing going on in their lives

>obvious distro user that hates freedom

Same, I've done it back in 2015.
It was already too late to escape gaming. At first I felt safe but then... but then I've discovered all the obscure and fun games. Roguelikes, gzdoom, openarena, hell, even Linux native games like warband. The whole new world, full of games that won't fade away over time.

And now, in the age of the Proton it is almost impossible to resist the urge this way.

was arch your first linux experience

>i m going to quit vidya
No memeing, Linux is a right choice for that actually.
After I fully switched to Fedora in 2015, I quit the gaming altogether. I was a huge freetard at the time tho. I only maybe played Xonotic once in a while.
Nowadays I have Win10 in dual boot, but I still don't play games. I wouldn't have time for that during my diploma project anyway.
Now, at my summer holidays, I want to get into gaming again. I'll probably install Team Fortress and Minecraft first. And check out that Overwatch thing that I missed over the course of these years.

windows 10 if you have a life

vidya seems to consume much of my life and i want to quit for good and focus on the real shit
i urge you not to go back to vidya

If you're good at reading manuals, it doesn't matter what distro you install

Sometimes you need to ease yourself. Just like it's good to break the nofap once in a while.
You know that phrase: "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy". What if I lost some parts of my creativity during the no-game years?
Also notice how these games are not story-driven, but more of a quick game kind. I think it won't consume much of my time anyway.

oh
good point on the types of games you should play
i guess a little fun won't do much harm
but since i was consumed by them i will try to stay away for atleast a year

MMOs?

yes basically but
also mobas
dota 2

No. I had used a distribution, DSL for WEP cracking a while before, and I was already using Ubuntu on my netbook for the better part of the year. An old friend of mine was using Arch and told me (jokingly) to use it. Soon after I installed it on my desktop machine, he quit using it and went back to Windows. I never went back, with the exception of work, and a windows partition i created abour a year ago to play pubg with old coworkers that I haven't used in months.

Arch is still my daily driver for my main PC and chromebook, but I obtained a media PC recently and installed Ubuntu on it so that it would be easier for my fiance to use. Her laptop has Windows, but she also uses Revit and AutoCAD which do not have adequate equivalents in Linux.

There are games I still play, and I actually took-up EvE Online 2 years ago, but for the first few years of using Arch, my social life actually improved because I was less inclined to use my computer as it wasn't as easy to fall into bad habits.

Same here brother, 2.5k hours on Dota 2 (since beta tho). Stopped playing when I moved in with gf and feel so much better.

How is EVE nowadays, still worth getting into and running on Linux?

ok i think i will follow a guide and install arch and if i sucks dick i can just come back here and complain that i fell for the meme
4.6k hours
also
>moved in with gf
ok chad

Well I stopped playing for the first time back when i moved to college because I shared a room with 2 dudes in res. Definitely helped me socially tho.

Just use Arch with gnome.

Attached: letsgoboys.jpg (800x450, 79K)

was it hard or circumstances helped you go thro it ?

I had a lot of shit to do and almost always someone to hang out with since all three of us shared the same room. It was pretty easy since I always had stuff to do though. Either study or drink with the lads pretty much.

I like the idea of gentoo, and have tried it multiple times, but I agree that it takes way too much time to do simple things and I uninstalled so I can get on with my life

I have a multiboot setup with arch, gentoo, some BSDs, some other stuff like haiku and aros, and Windows 10.
I mostly am booted on Arch or Gentoo (/home is shared), but ever since Proton I have been booted on Windows less than 10% of the time.
So, yeah...

Don't fall for the Mint meme, go with Manjaro
Cinnamon sucks, KDE on Manjaro idles at 500MB while Mint can go for as much as 1.5GB
Just install Timeshift and you're good to go

btw I use arch with xfeces

it's kind of refreshing to have things super up to date. in xubuntu 19.04/18.10/18.04LTS xfce (lightdm/lightlocker) has a bug where when waking the screen from locked it'll shut off the screen anyway, which has long been fixed on what you install from arch.

Attached: arch pool.jpg (1000x922, 60K)

Simple.

Attached: 622px-Xubuntu_Logo.svg.png (622x158, 19K)

What did you dislike about it?

Why does everything say anus when you flip it around? First Zune and now Sony...

Sounds more like Windows.

It isn't for everyone, but it also doesn't exactly hurt to give it a try. You can do quite a lot with a free (alpha) account, especially as a new player.

The player-run economy is what sucked me in. I have a method of undercutting high-sec traders utilizing python/sqlite that makes me a pretty good amount of ISK, but by the same token it "broke" the game for me in-that there are almost no pvp/pve activities that could net me the same income and as a result, the extent of me "playing" the game is me sending heavily-tanked freighters through high-sec. It absolutely is like having a part-time job... but I've found and savored my satisfaction. Your mileage may vary. o7

Personally I have been using Fedora on my desktop lately.
- Sane/minimal defaults (not as extreme as Arch)
- Newer version of packages than Debian/Ubuntu stable
- Generally well supported by third-party software because of CentOS/RHEL

Plus I've been playing around with Fedora Silverblue (immutable desktop) which appeals to me wanting a clean system.

Another note: Before I started my market shenanigans, I had a lot of fun ninja-looting and ninja-salvaging. Very fun pissing-off carebears, stealing their loot. Once I had enough starting capital, there was no more of that, but I contemplate doing it again for shiggles on-occasion. Since I started playing, I've made about 175 billion ISK.

Zune is based though. Snoy, not so much.

its a giant bloated pile of shit

OpenSUSE

Then maybe you'd prefer tomsrtbt.

i just didn't like it
it seemed slower than windows 10 for some reason

if you actually want to learn about the shell and the cli, then yes. its pretty easy to get something like xfce working on it and you can even rice it easily as well.

because it is slower than windows
most distros are slower than windows lol

slackware.
if you're desperate enough to get steam and vidya working on it there's no hope for you.

At least if you pick one of the heavy DEs it will be heavier than Windows. Go with something light like LXDE and it'll be lighter and faster.

Ubuntu because it's dropping steam

You can always tell an Arch user, but they'll tell you first.

Arch is pretty much vanilla packages.

New users should go with Manjaro, don't listen to these retards it will save you a couple of headaches.