What HDDs are you using for mass storage? Storagelets with <15TB are not welcome

What HDDs are you using for mass storage? Storagelets with

Attached: product-hero-image-ultrastar-dc-hc300-western-digital.png (2500x2500, 731K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X-z99OLO6lo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I use Samsung 120gb ssd :-)

I use pic related for archiving
*lasts 100+ years*
I use a Sony Optical Disc Archive gen 2 system too
Die HDD, SSD, and digital distribution industry shill. DIE

Attached: 1535625111528.jpg (1080x1052, 263K)

I just memorize the 1s and 0s

>not using tape

My computer doesn't use hard drives. I run bare metal on RAM only

Why would I use tape when disc lasts longer which is what I want for archiving?

I set up an array yesterdsy 6 WD 8TB Red Pros, with 2 extra on hand incase one of them fail/throw errors.

Attached: Screenshot_20190624-013237.png (2560x1800, 264K)

based and redpilled

zfs is supposed to use all available ram, so you're obviously doing something wrong

you DO have an anime collection, right user?

Attached: 1530121377226.png (759x847, 430K)

I have a VM that has RAM provisioned
It's using 68GiBs which is fine

>mass storage
lol did i travel back in time to the 2000s or something? the days of mass storage are gone, boomer. everything's streamed/always-online now. there is no need for mass storage of anything unless you are a boomer set in your ways.

Attached: 189945435.jpg (900x900, 138K)

Poorfag here I use a 250 GB HDD to save my shit like movies and TV shows.

Archival you retard. Your fav. streaming site might not be around in the next 20 or so years, but the local copy of the BDMV will be.

Nerd.

stream cuck

Tapes and tape drives are insanely expensive.

>Storagelets with

Attached: Fileserver.png (610x616, 71K)

*cough* buy used

Bumped for truth.

Attached: 200_s.gif (356x200, 35K)

Discs last longer.
youtube.com/watch?v=X-z99OLO6lo
Only reason to use tape is price

15x 3TB Enterprise Hitachi Ultrastar's inside SC847. Accessed via 10GbE using SFP+ Cable. Freenas

Attached: SC847-RJBOD_spec.jpg (261x222, 12K)

Shucked 8TB Western Digital externals. All are white label HGST Helium drives.

unironically using seagate ironwolves and they've been okay

This is so much money for something that can die any time. I am so unlucky like 60% of all my disks died no joke. All my other PC components are extremely solid

>something that can die any time
actually really low chance(under 0.1%) of it dying within 2 years. if your data is important then keep backups + RAID for redundancy.

you are right most of them died after 2 years

I've got two HGST drives, a 4TB Deskstar and an 8TB Ultrastar, the rest of my storage are a few shucked 1-1.5TB Toshiba 2.5" drives and a 1TB WD My Passport external drive (I shucked that one too but it's one of those pieces of shit with an actual USB HDD controller rather than being a SATA drive with a SATA to USB adapter).

Tapes are insanely cheap; it's the drives that are expensive. The more storage you have the more economical tape becomes

I thought tapes are only good for cold storage. Can they even be used for 24/7 constant file operations? Wouldn't the speeds be shit?

why not just buy an ssd or something?

18x12TB 7.2K whatever DELL put in the PowerEdge T630.

>I thought tapes are only good for cold storage.
You mean like backups? Exactly.
>Wouldn't the speeds be shit?
Sequential speeds are fine, the problem's when you're trying to do random access.

>Lasts over a hundred years
>Have only existed as a technology within the past decade
Do you have any proof that Blue-ray disks have been tested to last for over a hundred years?

>MTBF of 100 years
>HDD model's only been out for a day
how do they do it

I see.
but spending $2k just to use 1 tape is just way too much money.

I am currently using 2X 48 8TB Seagate Archive HDD's for backing up.
I will (when available) change to the new released 16TB Iron Wolf Pro models since i'm running out of space/slots, and i don't want to expand furthermore in size if much larger sized HDD's can give me a temporary relief.

Like I said, the more tapes you use the more economical it becomes

The costs benefits don't seem to scale well at all for a consumer. Let's say I need access to 48TB.

6TB LTO7 = $60 x 8x = $480
4TB HDD = $60 x 12x = $720
$240 saved..

And this isn't even factoring in the monstrous cost of buying 8x tape drives, which would actually put the cost at $16,480. Seems only applicable to data centers that only need to do incremental backups.

>buying 8 tape drives
Why the fuck would you do that? Do you have an optical drive for every CD, DVD, and Blu-ray you own?

I have a brand new WD Red sitting in a box because Yodel sent the drive dock that I ordered to it to the wrong house.

Just ordered a 1TB 660p m.2

An 8TB st8000dm004-2cx1 for main desktop storage.
1x 2TB WD WDC WD20EARX-00P connected to the router via an external caddy.
1x 4TB ST4000DM000 and 1x WD40EZRZ-00GXCB0 both in a Synology NAS.

And a couple of 1TB WDs and Samsungs.
Plus an odd 1.5TB that started clicking a few years back. I put some stuff with lower priority on it, just in case. A backup is a backup.

4x4TB WD and HGST

8TB usable, half is a mirror.

> western digital
>Storagelets with buys several drives of cancer
lmao. i hope you have backups of your 15tb, you incompetent faggot.

Attached: 1542329624532.png (579x1024, 1.21M)

Reminder: ZFS (or other bit-rot detecting/correcting) file system + UPS if you care about the long term viability of your data.

All the backups in the world is useless if the data on them is faulty.

Keeping 3 backups is good. Having to dig thru each copy and "hope" you find the error free file not so good. Sleep better at night knowing each backup contains "good" data.

I sleep just fine without any backup. All I need is redundancy in case of HDD failure. The chances of my server exploding or the zfs pool becoming corrupt are so astronomically low that it's not worth considering for me.

I have an UPS connected to my desktop. Best decision I made since buying an SSD. If a power outage is detected, my local server which contains my main file storage is automatically powered down, followed by my desktop after 2 minutes.

Attached: screenshot.6.png (507x697, 17K)

keep storing video material you will never look at again, let alone host on the webs unless you're in some shithole country with no copyrights

fucking moron

I'll probably get a couple of 12TB HDDs when I can afford it. I'm running a number of 4TB ones right now, but I could use some backups.

5 x 3TB

>STREAMING

Attached: 1559470517948.png (454x520, 13K)

built this out of old parts i had laying around
how did i do
8GB DDR3L btw

Attached: u4orVm9[1].png (695x336, 33K)

I'm running an FTP server, where currently about 60 people have access to. They pay me a montly fee of 5 Euros each and in exchange they can download all the TV-Series and movies I have on my server.
Pretty good deal for them and me too, since the financial income is more than double of what i need to keep the FTP running.
I even have money to buy new HDD's from these money every second month and i alsways have a set of spare ones in case of something going wrong.

Amazing. Where did you find 60 morons from?

RAID isn't backup, so I backup my pool to a drive every month or so for cold storage.

Look, if you have a Netflix account, you are pretty bound to their choices provided. And since this costs 15 Euros per month it's three times as expensive as my FTP access. I also got almost the entire stuff that Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, AMC and others hold. All that for just 5 Euros per month.
I met a several people on the internet being pissed about subscribing to one service, realizing that the new blockbuster series won't be provided on their subscribtion service.

6 WD reds, 4 4TB, 2 8TB.

yeah sure that happened buddy

Do you have an idea how may people can't even torrent or do other totally simple stuff on the internet?