Why does the Education sector still use Windows? There is a huge benefit of switching from Windows to Linux

Why does the Education sector still use Windows? There is a huge benefit of switching from Windows to Linux.
First of, no antivirus. When was the last time you heard a Linux PC get a virus?
>but muh microsoft word
LibreOffice.
And that god awful powershell! Why can't it just be bash

Attached: 1545256896241.jpg (1118x628, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zyud11pz40s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

all those government agencies that tried switching eventually went back to windows, linux just isn't easy enough for the kind of brainlets that work for government

If you can replace AD, Exchange, Outlook, MDM, GP, etc then you'll *maybe* have a chance at winning over the education sector.

Oh and don't forget you'll need to have drivers and software for the 'smart' boards and so on. Good luck.

Active directory.
>huge benefit of switching from Windows to Linux
Linux doesn't have AD, so no there isn't.

> education sector
in what country? here in australia, they went through all kinds of systems. mac and pc ended up permanent in schools i worked at. apple went on a huge shilling campaign for decades to get education departments across the country to buy macs but nearly all kids had pc. back in the 90s there were all kinds of portability problems with documents and certain types of mac file formats. it was a nightmare. so, a lot of schools abandoned apple's cancer altogether. windows became the norm for good reason. linux is now also being used in some schools, and that really started kicking off when the rpi was released. before that, no interest.
> clicking on giant gay icons is hard
unbelievable. gov employees wouldn't even be given root, what the fuck do you expect them to do? compile source code from linux distros? gtfo. these faggots would use linux exactly like how they use windows: BY CLICKING ON GIANT GAY ICONS.

This
It’s not just Windows that schools use, it’s the entirety of the Microsoft ecosystem
What doesn’t help is MS is hella generous towards education
You cannot convince someone to move to libreoffice when most students get Office 365 for free just by virtue of being students

The educational sector uses both Windows and Linux because there's revenue in both.

well first the users are even more brainlet than you imagine. Lots of them view computers as voodoo and actively try to not understand them. No, really, they get lost if anything looks different in the slightest. If "the internet" is now this orange fox thing instead of a blue "e" they have no idea what to do. They throw up their hands, call tech support saying "my internet is gone!", and you have to show them like four times before they can just remember to CLICK AN ICON DIFFERENT THAN THE ONE THEY MEMORIZED. I wish I was exaggerating.

it's not just the users, either, government and education tends to get real bottom-of-the-barrel sysadmins who make Pajeets look intelligent. Oh yeah and everything is ten times more sclerotic and ossified than it is at a giant megacorp. It's nearly impossible to fire people, there's red tape everywhere, and the basically you attract people who are too useless to make it anywhere else, and are willing to put up with shit pay and shit work in exchange for the job security.

>When was the last time you heard a Linux PC
never

all of those things already have replacements

>apple went on a huge shilling campaign for decades to get education departments across the country to buy macs
But they had no hope against the Microsoft juggernaut, did they? Free software. Free machines. Free courses. Pirated stuff everywhere.
It was estimated that over half the traffic on SchoolsNet was Windows viruses looking for vulnerable hosts.
Add to that people like yourself who saw it as a game to be won never mind whether it was beneficial for the school.

Please go on.

I agree, except for MDM - Microsoft is nowhere near the market leader in that space

Because Windows is already well-established and has programs with those schools and agencies.
I agree, but the tech illiterates that use them for LibreOffice and Firefox don't really matter. They don't need to know the CLI, just the sysadmins do. Should be doable.

open web browser
goto search engine
type the name of software, then type linux
press enter

>and you have to show them like four times before they can just remember to CLICK AN ICON DIFFERENT THAN THE ONE THEY MEMORIZED. I wish I was exaggerating.
yeah you're right. i think too highly of my fellow man. that always gets me into trouble.

That's not how the real world works kid.
Fair on that point

There is no drop-in equivalent to AD for Linux.
youtube.com/watch?v=zyud11pz40s

>LibreOffice.
sucks hard compared to office. i still prefer my 2007 office

thanks user
i will sleep sound tonight knowing i am at least not this much of an abomination

>I agree, but the tech illiterates that use them for LibreOffice and Firefox don't really matter. They don't need to know the CLI, just the sysadmins do. Should be doable.

you would think that, but ... is true

Brazilian Education Sector used to use Linux, but these fucking retards switched over to Windows 10 some years ago.
Linux worked great throughout the entire time I was at school, but they just said fuck it and changed to proprietary, paid and expensive software on a country that's already poor as shit compared to the rest of the world. Fuck this.

Linux isn’t free brainlet
Free to use yes but your still paying for support and paying a higher salary for sysadmins with good Linux experience
MS also doesn’t mine almost giving away licenses to academic institutions as long as you are using their software

>all of those things already have replacements
As far as enterprise grade products and support go, no, no they don't. Not many people outside of the IT world have any interest in putting up with the warts, UX, and support issues of linux and other FOSS.

Attached: 1396811508299.png (480x480, 108K)

>paid and expensive software on a country that's already poor
Nigger pretty Windows and Office are free for education purpose. And probably that's the whole reason they switched back to Windows

>god awful PowerShell

Nice larp

Attached: AE0AD383-3B29-4BE3-B1CD-5A4413AD60C0.jpg (2000x1384, 231K)

Yes it does, it's called LDAP

>mfw K-12 are growing up on Chromebooks

Attached: 1560729433937.gif (220x220, 46K)

Reminder that the year of the Linux desktop will never come precisely because people are taught that Windows is basically their only option from a young age. If you still think it's ever coming you're a fucking retard.

Attached: shiggydiggywithfrickinlaserbeams.jpg (600x635, 29K)

Where? I worked for the Chicago public school system and the district my kids are in (northwest Indiana) all have kids using iPads

What makes you think a bunch of useless government bureaucrats know that they are doing?

My local school district switched from iPads to Chromebooks a few years ago

I'm in the bacific northwest though

Attached: 1525521563141.gif (450x254, 986K)

>When was the last time you heard a Linux PC get a virus?
All the time.
OS doesn't cure stupidity.

...do Kyouko's hips move on their own?

>ldap

Attached: ▄█▀ █▬█ █ █ █ █ █ █ ▀█▀.jpg (450x495, 38K)

Issues of muh google aside, it's unironically a good choice.

??
it's horrible

Sure thing

Sage

The shit that linux entails as well as the bullshit to use it is not necessary for most education.
As for libre office, most schools use google docs as well as chromebooks sold by Google. Google docs is free, you don't need to install or deal with update and version bullshit, and it's automatically saved online as you edit. Not to mention google classroom creating incredible ease for both teachers and students.

> drop-in equivalent to AD
Considering how GPO is entirely an MS extension, maybe you want too much. For now, Samba 4 with RSAT is viable, and I'm not stopping you from cloning RSAT to a web interface.

Education nowadays is nothing more than an institution where we send children to become wage slave drones. Do you seriously believe there is any value in actually trying to engage in thoughtful academia with little shits who would probably throw those little balls from inside the mice in the computer lab?

Linux is used literally no where outside of IT. It's going to stay that way for a long time.

>Why does the Education sector still use Windows
Because the education sector had previously justified rising prices by claiming they are entry gates to higher paying jobs in the private sector, which largely uses windows outside of certain infrastructure applications

It's sad but this guy gets it ^

>b-but it works on my laptop so that means its applicable to large scale enterprises too!
Lol.

It's weird watching this and learning a greater understanding of Active Directory.

well, at least in the shithole I live the healthcar system is all run on linux, seriously, though, these brainlets are not being taught to use linux per say, they are taught to use a program under linux, I dont even think they know what os they are using.

Makes sense to learn windows in school because it's the most used platform in the business world. Fuck, I've spent the last 10 years on Linux, but even I had to learn VB, c#,. Net and now .net 5 for my job... Windows is just too popular to pass up

Well, the largest enterprises all use Linux. It's just the small/middle class of enterprises that is stuck on Windows. It is probably because they can only afford to hire pajeets.

i like FOSS as much as the next guy, but i havent seen any viable replacement for excel

Attached: 1554262467964.jpg (3072x2017, 1.45M)

Emacs

Someone show this retard the exit, he's not welcome here anymore.

>And that god awful powershell!
shiggy diggy

To be fair, it is awful. There is a reason Microsoft does not use Windows internally.

yes, there is, you haven't bothered looking at all
and even less people have any interest in putting up with the warts, UX, and support issues of windows, which are even worse than in gnu/linux or bsd

proof?

>yes, there is, you haven't bothered looking at all
No, there is not. I've been looking for several years.

> DNS - Bind works fine.
> LDAP - OpenLDAP or other options work mostly fine
> Kerberos - Also mostly fine
> Login restrictions - At best clumsy
> Group policy - Does not exist

>and even less people have any interest in putting up with the warts, UX, and support issues of windows, which are even worse than in gnu/linux or bsd
[Citation needed]

Uh oh somebody tell him...

Attached: sfdsgd.png (270x270, 6K)

>a crappy compatibility layer that barely works
Epic.

lol cope

Hi, pajeet.

>.20 cents has just been deposited into your Canonical account!

>.05 rupees have been deposited into your toilet

cause MS bribes them

about 5 hours ago

God where will be in 20 years? How is our tech getting better but our people are getting dumber

Attached: F12A62DB-6A4A-45DC-8DA9-1AE4CC64B605.jpg (1242x1526, 137K)

This.

lmao imagine trying to maintain a linux computer lab full of kids who've been raised to use iPads

Lmao