/hsg/ Home Server General

Its been way too long fellas. Apologize for the old copy pasta, this is the OG:

>Why should I have a homeserver?
De-botnet your life. Learn something new. Serving applications to yourself, your family, and your firends feels good because service to others feels good. Put your Jow Forums skills to good use for yourself and those close to you. Store their data with proper availability redundancy and backups, don’t let googlel/applel/microshaft botnet them.

>How should I get started?
NAS is how most people get into this. It’s nice have a /comfy/ home for all your data. Streaming your movies/shows around the house and to friends is good feels. Repurpose an old desktop, buy a SBC, or go with cheap used enterprise gear. Lots of options and theres even a flowchart. Ask.

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a pfsense box and configuring some vlans. Theres always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re godtier already? Setup openstack and report back.

>What software should I run?
install gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Emby to replace netflix, nextcloud to replace googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome selfhosted list and ask.

>Datahoarding ok here?
YES - you are in good company. Shuck those easystores and flash IT mode on your H310. All datahoarding talk welcome.

>Do I need a rack and all that noisey enterprise gear?
No. An old laptop or rpi can be a server if you want.

>Links
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index

Attached: hsg.png (399x1058, 631K)

I'm thinking of getting off the dropbox tit for my small business. 4 of us each paying for 1TB of dropbox is fine (it just works, is normie-friendly) - but the new shit they're pulling with all the integration and bullshit is breaking this camels back. Syncthing on a linode server maybe?

So I built a NAS, put RockStor on it, fiddle around with it for an afternoon, shut it down and haven't turned it on since.

I just don't see the point, I got 2 1TB drives and 2 500GB drives in their and it's useless unless I go out and buy like 4*8TB drives and even then it'll have barely the same amount of space as my main computer.
I have no other computers on the home network that needs serving. I don't need OwnCloud.
I got 6TB of non-cloud service FTP space offsite...

I even got this appliance looking case for it.

Attached: IMG_20190619_234902.jpg (1200x1600, 720K)

Do I need Plex if I already have Syncthing setup? Does it offer additional features?

fuck plex

Plex and synching do two wildly different things. Plex is for streaming your movies in your house (great Netflix-like frontend) or to your friends/family. Synching sync's folders across computers/phones/whatever

Backup your main PC locally so you follow 3-2-1 backup. Run plex/emby on your NAS so you can stream your tv/movies across the house/internet without your mainPC on all the time.

so can't I just stream the shared movies from my phone to my tv or whatever? that seems easier

Bought an old Asus ee PC (32 bit) at a garage sale, and planned to use it as a retro game emulator, but I'm having some graphical performance issues with it, so I figured I might try turn it into a local storage server/seedbox on my network connected to some external hard drives. Is this the sort of situation I would use freeNAS? Sorry if it's a dumb question, just trying to wrap my head around all the different ways of going about it.

Yes. With Plex.

kodi/plex are what you use to stream to tvs

ohhh ok.

Attached: bepatient.jpg (1024x1024, 63K)

Freenas is kind of overkill - just setup debian or something (whatever your favorite flavor is) headless and run a samba server and rutorrent. This will run much better on older hardware.

they have lots of other features, media library stuff and streaming-from-internet apps and stuff.

My TV is directly connected to my mainPC, I don't stream to any other devices.
I have backups of important things on cold storage drives already.
Unless I put 32TB of storage into the NAS it wouldn't be able to 321 backup 24+TB of storage on my main computer.
If I had the extra cash to put into another 32TB of drives I'd probably expand my main pc's storage, I still got 6+8 empty bays left in external storage towers.
It might be of more use if I had a bunch of other computers, but I don't see why I would need a bunch of other computers...

>Plex is for streaming your movies in your house
no plex is for streaming from outside your house
use sftp/samba shares with kodi for in-house streaming instead

Anyone running Dragonfly with Hammer2 as a NAS?
9p instead of NFS?

Nextcloud on a Kimsufi server works really well as a Dropbox replacement and is very affordable

Netware or NT?

Attached: e5a5d0930d66dbba7f3084c88d1b46eb.jpg (1300x1130, 116K)

The whole point is to use your main PC less

It's literally the only thing I have though.
I don't like using my phone, and my TV is just a 40" dumb TV.
Why buy a bunch of consumerist devices when I just only need 1 computer, 3 screens and a TV?

cause they're different use cases, connecting a media server to a dumb tv is prime /hsg/ material. smart tvs are retarded.

as for keeping primary storage inside an active PC, thats its own terrible decision.

I'm starting to give up on my XMPP server.
After my certificate expired a few weeks ago and I renewed it, the Gajim instances that I'm using to connect on the desktop side have started being little bitches.
I can still encrypt chat normally via OMEMO, but sent images aren't decrypted anymore.

Also, XMPP in general is a fucking shitshow.
Would running a Matrix node make my life better? How bad is Synapse?

I'm currently running a Pi, but migrating to a NUC loaded with purpose-created VMs.
IRL a few people told me to use Docker instead, but I'm kinda wary about that.
Is Docker a meme or an actual improvement?

Also, how does /hsg/ manage certificates? Do you push them to your VMs via cronjob ssh connections from the host system? Do you use another VM for that, to avoid exposing the host system as much as possible?

Get yourself a Sun box.

Hey I don't care about this thread at all but I'm gonna have to ask you to sauce me on that Japanese comic book.

Attached: 1559937151202.gif (283x204, 3.46M)

Kirino a shit.
Kuroneko too.

Ayase a best.

Oreimo m@ster
Next time use yandex you baka user

i want to nakadashi kirino

Hey guys I'm a fucking retard, what hardware would you guys recommend for setting up a NAS?

Budget, and what are you planning to feed files to?

>Budget
~$200
>what are you planning to feed files to?
Dumb tv's, phone, pc and laptop

Wasn't there a hsg matrix room? What happened to it

Theres a flowchart for you user. Enjoy

Attached: Based and NASpilled3.png (892x929, 216K)

fuck I've been looking for these threads
help me out mates

long story short I've build my box and I wanted to go ahead with the configuration before porting over my data from externals into the server but something is beyond fucky and I don't have a lick of confidence in the stability of this system as it is now, it's been driving me nuts. Only had an odd evening here and there and the whole last weekend to do it where I did most of the progress.
So story so far:
>built it with all the accumulated bits including a CD drive I don't want but need because somehow bios doesn't see bootable USBs
>test run ubuntu & mint
>try tweaking bios/cmos
>no dice
>decide on OMV and proceed with intall to a fresh drive from CD still
>60% if the time some step fails, 30% it completes but doesn't reboot at the end of install and after a reset it's fucked, 10% it fails to reboot at the end but after forced reboot it's ok
>all those varying results following the same, correct, procedure each time
>even if it now boots it doesn't install plugins just says dependencies are unresolvable try --fix-broken install

so it essentially works but in limited capacity and doesn't appear to be proper
GA-G31MX-S2 rev.2 motherboard
Xeon E5335 CPU
not too sure about the bios, it's pic related, going into advanced>hard disk boot priority and selecting usb doesn't work because it doesn't list it, just the hard drives,
I'm making my USB images with rufus

how do I enable USB boot and unfuck the OMV 4.1.22-1 Arrakis?

Attached: bios.png (886x515, 622K)

>Xeon E5335 CPU
I just did a quick google, but I think that proc and that mobo are NOT compatible. You sure that mobo supports that proc? Both are fucking ancient though - the money you'll save on your power bill will be worth buying a board that supports DDR3 ram - that shit will burn your electric bill user. Buy a R710 I funds are low - you can get them for $100. Depending on electric costs, it might be worth getting a R720 instead (more speed, less power with based sandy bridge).

well they are compatible and I'm not too concerned with the power for now. Definitely not in the market for new parts

Based, thanks m8

Did you do the 775 mod?
That board is not made to be compatible with Xeon cpu

>it's useless
Welcome to the homeserver world, no one of the faggots here have a real use for it, its just a waste of time and money but they pretend that their bullshit have any meaning to don't feel so retarded

Attached: this wataten girl is kinda h.jpg (719x897, 308K)

basically yeah, except I don't have any tape in there, I had it done in a more permament fashion.
The thing is I had it done ages ago and had that board in a different rig for a very long time and now the details of how the bios was setup and why elude my memory.
But still this is what I have and what I have to make do with.

I used to use NAS4free, now I'm thinking of trying EasyNAS.