What's your excuse for not using it, user?

What's your excuse for not using it, user?

Attached: qwe_download.png (640x384, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OpenSUSE-Default-Spectre-Hit
build.opensuse.org/
en.opensuse.org/Package_repositories#Factory_and_Project_repositories
software.opensuse.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

honestly, pretty comfy. I can't speak much on btrfs+snapper yet but KDE is solid on this distro, zypper & apparmor just work, and kernel provided is the first that works 100% ootb (usually need kernel parameters). ported my postinsall script from debian and was able to cut half of the shit out.

Attached: Screenshot_20190627_143338.png (854x456, 75K)

already using gentoo

oh? What kind of shit did you cut out?

I have no idea what it is

only pain is codecs for firefox since you have to use packman and the whole things smells bad, even rpmfusion feels less stupid (but both are)
fuck patents
if mozilla care about linux the OFFICIAL flatpak would be ready by now

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed is the best vetted rolling-release GNU/Linux distro.

Try it.

Codecs aren't THAT hard to get. There's even an official wiki page on it.

most of it is packages to add/remove and configure, logic to check for kernel parameters and add if needed, and some flatpak stuff. I also removed everything gnome related, but that doesn't count as I'm adding KDE configuration which will take its place.

Yast isnt a good reason to use it

it's easy to get, I'm saying I don't like the security implications
even the suse dude said packman is "ok" at best even if you only add the one that needs multimedia
ill just pipe shit to mpv until fedora finishes their h264 codec and others ship it too

*(mpv flatpak)

I’ve got better things to do with my time, like masturbate to traps.

I'm very happy with my distro thank you very much
openSUSE is quality though I'll give you that

xubuntu just werks

>was able to cut half of the shit out
same, also a lot of packages have their original name and not that ubuntu weirdness
things I had to change in my script, coming from ubuntu:
don't ask root pass when using libvirt
>usermod -a -G libvirt $(whoami)
comment out the interface to stop samba from crashing because the interface is not ready without enabling bind anywhere (insecure). that's because ubuntu was using a very old version and didnt hit this 'bug' yet (its not a bug but a choice, you can override the samba systemd service to wait)
>interfaces = 192.168.37.0/24 # virbr1
manually enable services, close any libvirt related instance because the service needs a restart
>systemctl enable libvirtd.service smb.service
>firewall-cmd --permanent --zone=internal --add-source=192.168.37.0/24
>firewall-cmd --permanent --zone=internal --add-service=samba
>firewall-cmd --reload
>systemctl restart libvirtd.service
only thing I'm worried about is btrfs (not for backups, just for root) but I have sane data backups so fuck it

I don't like shitty wannabe red hat distros when I can use the real thing

question. why would I use tumbleweed-cli when I have btrfs snapshots (home not included ofc)? and isnt that tool a 3rdparty thing?

>Yet another distro that will lose maintainers in 3 months
hard pass

... I already am ...

Attached: tumdesk.png (1920x1080, 990K)

switched a couple of days ago from gentoo looking for something simpler and im loving it

Attached: 2019-06-27_18-44.png (1920x1080, 1.49M)

its actually quite comfy you should try it

but you can masterbate to traps on opensuse

i could never really use xubuntu it was too buggy for me it took 3 attempts to install it but im glad it works for you

Based openSUSE brothers

welcome home, white man

Are they renaming the distro or not? What should /we/ call it?

shit performance

hey everyone, look -- it's a phoronix cuck!

Just fact, dumbass. Enjoy your shit performance and cope hard.

Yeah because the performance is so shit with a cutting-edge graphics stack and kernel+firmware. Now go back to your intel/amd threads to shitpost inherently biased benchmarks (read: marketing) like a good goy.

if you care that much about MUH GAMING performance you can
1) disable or change the CPU mitigations when you're installing Tumbleweed in like 2 or 3 clicks
2) use ext4 for everything
for a tech board people are pretty stupid and judge distros using retarded and fictional metrics

>phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OpenSUSE-Default-Spectre-Hit
>OpenSUSE users wanting to use that non-default approach can opt for it using the spectre_v2=retpoline,generic kernel command line parameter, which matches the behavior of most other Linux distributions' kernels.
SPECTRUM PATRONUS

Attached: .jpg (2268x2130, 1.55M)

great distro but weak software supports

Im curious, are you two running the default mitigations? if so what is your output of:
$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v2
apparently I have retpoline by default
Mitigation: Full generic retpoline, IBPB: conditional, IBRS_FW, STIBP: conditional, RSB filling

Even Opensuse developers have enabled LTO for tests and have seen the differences. Now cope more!

I actually tried it - but I had one important problem I wasn't able to solve: When I enabled Full Disk Encryption during the installation, it set everything up, but I wasn't able to "login" with my encryption password later on. I tried it multiple times with a good passwort - never worked. Then I tried with abc123, also did not work. Installed Debian Stable then...

I don't understand why it didn't worked.

Enjoy the slowest Linux distro available!

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OpenSUSE-Default-Spectre-Hit

Fedora is better

>What's your excuse for not using it, user?
Non-free software.

You gotta make a manual vendor change on the packages while keeping the packman repo on low priority, that way only those packages will be updated from that repo.

tumbleweed-cli will not touch your /etc/ folder I believe, since is not a filesystem level tool.

The opensuse is probably older than you.

One way I could think of is keyboard layout, if you use any special characters that might have changed position between the installer layout and the installed one will mess your password.

>intel
That's like your own personal problem, you're like the retards crying for muh tearing while buying nvidia cards.

I am using it. I love it, and wish it were more mainstream.

Yes, and they are working on making it default for tumbleweed. You can always compile yourself with LTO as with many other distros, so what is your point? And do any other binary-release bases distros even use LTO widely?
see
not even default anymore, and even if it were it's a single kernel parameter.

It's as buggy as KDE and last time I tried didn't even install.

the live environment it trash t bh, if that's what you used.

God distro, awful neofetch art. Just go back to the lizard.

>no packages
>systemd

It's because full security motivations for Incel CPUs are in effect. If you're doing high performance computing, you wouldn't be using gimped CPUs.

Download Tumbleweed or LEAP.

Go into YAST.

Try and Setup VNC on the KDE Desktop Environment.

Basically, they shipped a broken Distro and said "not our problem communitiy".

Can't enter Domain Credentials on the default login display manager either. What a piece of infurating junk.

Werks for me.
Don't use the security mitigations for Incel processors, then. Or change them.

tried it.
GUI package managers are a drag.
btrfs is tedious
zypper is shit vs pacman
no AUR
something mesa related is broken and gave me problems with games, whereas mesa on arch just werks.
On the brightside, i found a new XFCE replacement
Artix + KDE 4 lyfe

Broke too many times for me, so I stick to leap.

But does zypper break xorg? It doesn't.

Tried installing it 2 days ago.
After the installer was stuck on "Setting up basic devices" for 4 minutes I gave up.

Pretty easy

Attached: CPU nigger.png (1366x768, 159K)

Shit is fucking annoying and stop supporting IBM/RH

no aur replacement.

When I used it nothing was ever in the repos and the build service or whatever it was called just wasn't as good as the AUR. I moved over to Manjaro its not perfect but it filled my needs better than opensuse

Name 3 things it does better than arch.

Attached: dongles-forking.jpg (643x960, 116K)

This is why OpenSUSE is incredible, if you want to run your OS like a dumbass they give you the freedom to do that.

You should buy AMD then, this isn't OpenSUSE's fault that Intel made shit silicon.

Attached: opensuse.png (1920x1080, 813K)

Why would you disable them? I stated the reason why the benchmarks showed SUSE was slower, and it's justified.

Security (the vast majority of the packages in AUR are unaudited), stability, and the ability to rollback to a prior snapshot of when you last updated your system.

I'm still amazed that people unironically praise the AUR. Why the fuck would I ever install software from random strangers that aren't even affiliated with the distribution? That goes for unofficial PPA/APT repos as well.

>Security (the vast majority of the packages in AUR are unaudited)
How do you install packages that are not part of the official distribution on TW?
>stability
People use this word in at least two different ways:
1. System crashes
2. Incompatible application changes. E.g. Firefox deprecating old extensions.
What do you mean by it?
>the ability to rollback to a prior snapshot of when you last updated your system
That does sound useful but my system has never been broken enough that I'd have needed it.

build.opensuse.org/
fucking arch fags are INSUFFERABLE in any distro thread
it's like a distro can't be good too, it must be destroyed so there's only arch left, this isn't windows
and manjaro is bringing even more retards to stallman/linux
and I know who YOU are samefag redditor that keeps spreading fud about opensuse, expect a letter from our lawyers

>it's like a distro can't be good too
It's like OP said. There is no excuse for not using Tumbleweed.

Vulnerable, IBPB: disabled, STIBP: disabled

Attached: 128px-Emoji_u1f60e.svg.png (128x128, 14K)

based
how do I find packages I'm not using? only manually guessing with yast2-packager or is there a clever way like checking logs for last execution or something

I'm actually on arch lol. I'm assuming you want to remove unused packages? Found this: zypper pa --unneeded

So many of them...

Attached: vrl.png (2167x1200, 2.37M)

because i like reliability so am using leap instead

weed haha blaze up bros :D

It's a decent distro to be honest, but I still prefer Arch.

I am on my desktop, it's great. Leap on my server and laptop though.

>I can't speak much on btrfs+snapper yet
It's awesome, a real life saver in some situations. Especially if you have booting into snapshots in GRUB (there's some cases where it's disabled but it's the default IIRC).
>only thing I'm worried about is btrfs
Anecdotal of course, but I've never had a single issue. Though I'm not running any unusual setup, just a default layout on an SSD (plus lvm&luks)

I use a cracked copy of windows pro :)

Yast is pretty awesome to use when running a server

I understand why you'd prefer Arch, Pacman is by far the best package manager out there. OpenSUSE is going to be my main distro for the foreseeable future simply because it feels most comfortable for me.

>I prefer to get pozzed from unaudited packages
The state of Arch users.

for tumbleweed is there a list of what changed in each snapshot? and how do I check the status of a package to see when it's getting updated next

Most arch users probably don't even know how much help they get from opensuse and the collaboration going on

Most opensuse users probably don't even know what a kernel is.

>guy asks a genuine question about what advantages the distro being discussed has over the distro that he's currently using
>"oh my god I fucking hate these elitist arch subhumans shut the fuck up already shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up I hate you so much archtard cucks"

Used to run it on my work laptop and it fucked itself after an update.
I decided that rolling wasn't smart idea for a work machine.

:^)

>Broke too many times for me, so I stick to leap.

Attached: epoch_of_the_systemd_desktop.jpg (700x467, 120K)

Opensuse has its own AUR sort of repos called projects en.opensuse.org/Package_repositories#Factory_and_Project_repositories

It even has support for the actual AUR and other distros repositories on software.opensuse.org/

Nah, OpenSUSE is so underrated people try every distro and learn more of the inner workings of Linux before trying it out. There's nothing special about Arch.

opensuse is really overrated.

Attached: python-default-arguments.png (492x169, 5K)

Its because im already using fedora

Not excuses, what is your excuse for not updating to the new version with Linux 4.1.10?

Its down to Arch or this. i wanna be a computer engineer when j grow up

>new version
>4.1.10

Attached: what.jpg (540x525, 31K)

fedora exists

There is, it's easy to check via Yast. You can do it from the terminal too, just forgot the commands.

Nevermind I thought you were talking about the snapshot backups.

Is it alright if I simply want my drives to have ext4 as their filesystem? Will it bring any issues on the snapshots? Also, are these snapshots automatic?

snapshots are a feature from btrfs that they integrated with their installer and etc
so if you use ext4 in the root (/) you won't be able to use snapshots
with the guided partition I'm using root (/) as btrfs and /home as ext4, works fine

no usable codecs without adding a shit ton of out of tree repos.

rpm, fucking rpm

yast.................yast can suck a dick

Attached: 1558288250024.jpg (3059x2048, 758K)

Alright, I'll give it a try.