Does anyone here have a NAS? Is it worth it? Is there anything I should know before trying to set one up?

Does anyone here have a NAS? Is it worth it? Is there anything I should know before trying to set one up?

Attached: 81fI9DTCTyL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1125, 109K)

Just what is it you are you trying to do?

Attached: tumblr_mw49zsynjT1rkgbhto1_250.gif (185x316, 476K)

Don't. You're too dumb

Just build your own server. Then you'd be able to easily upgrade/design it around your specific needs.

Most recent thread:

No, nobody here has a NAS. No, it is not worth it. No, there is nothing you should know before trying to set it up.

No they suck, underpowered and gimped hardware. Can drop HDDs in a case and have it run 1000% better.

>Does anyone here have a NAS?
Yea.

> Is it worth it?
Yes. Note that for 4+ drives it's usually more flexible/cheaper to DIY build a Linux box. Pretty much all of these NAS use Linux dm RAID and Linux software anyhow, and you can more easily do things that wouldn't be supported on the premade NAS such as use snapraid and mergerfs or MooseFS/LizardFS/Ceph instead of dm RAID or

Just buy a mini-PC with enough USB 3 slots and buy external drives. Much cheaper

Often pretty much the same hardware as you'd use if you built a sensible NAS.

They however do mostly charge a pretty SRS enterprise premium for 4+ drives, so DIY is certainly sometimes a good idea.

if you want to be really lazy you can just use some old hardware, throw some drives in it, and use freenas

I have one.
It's actually a synology, I could have built a nas in fact I had a spare CPU and board to do it with but I wanted a compact box with a guaranteed low power usage.
This thing is smaller than anything I could have built but is able to transcode HEVC video just fine while running multiple docker containers, web applications and automation scripts.

Usually not a good idea for power consumption reasons. It's not like some Gigabyte/AsRock onboard setup is expensive, and neither is a Rock64Pro/Odroid setup if you just want 2 drives.

But I guess it depends on what old hardware exactly you get.

good choice

> transcode HEVC video just fine
Really? Can they do Main 10 now or something like that?

Last time I checked these mostly did not so terribly fine "fast" h.264. and you were FAR better off just replacing the 1-2 ancient playback devices you might have somewhere.

the box I have is one of the cheaper intel based ones, just had an atom processor but the media server apps can utilize hardware transcoding reliably now so Plex will just transcode my HEVC content without delay and it looks good.
My media playback devices support HEVC anyway but I often watch videos in my browser.
Technically synology claims this thing can transcode 4k, although I haven't attempted it.

>anything I should know before trying to set one up
just get comfortable with editing a samba config, though you should only have to do it once. don't buy a nas, just get a cheap desktop and I mean like sixty bucks cheap and throw some storage and maybe some extra ram at it,

So the typical Plex transcode to a low h.264 profile?

Yea, that's feasible with the onboard Intels or even ARM chips.

No

Why not faggot

because it's a shit solution

>just werks
>REEEEEE ITS SHIT IT'S NOT COMPLICATED AND EXPENSIVE

I have several.
No-brand cheapies, Medion, IoMega, D-Link etc.
All rubish.
Had I spent the same money on a real NAS I would have a reliable NAS and some change.

it's underpowered and leaves you with drives all over the place instead of just using a regular pc and some extra drives and stuffing it in a closet somewhere and accessing it from a smarttv

>it's underpowered
Many of them are the same or actually better than the Synology/QNAP NAS in terms of hardware.

> leaves you with drives all over the place
This I agree with, And don't forget the cables. 4 3.5" drives already 8 cables, 4 of which with power bricks. It's annoying.

I just use an old shitty t530 as My NAS Have 2 3.5inch drives connected via USB 3. Don't need the redundancy that RAID offers (or I don't care enough) Worked out cheaper and is far more versatile.

>drives all over the place
Get a bookshelf poorfag

>And don't forget the cables
Literally a 12V laptop power supply and a power cable splitter for security cameras

Just roll your own. It's easy as shit if you're even the slightest bit technical and aren't a brainlet, and will result in a much more capable device than buying a dedicated machine. Definitely a very useful thing to have either way, though.

> Literally a 12V laptop power supply and a power cable splitter for security cameras
I guess you can DIY a bunch of parts, but why bother when you can just stick the same kind of hardware in a nice cube case and not have loose drives or any improvised DIY work that isn't worth your time?