What would it take for you to fully switch from Windows or macOS to GNU/Linux on your desktop and/or laptop PC(s)?

What would it take for you to fully switch from Windows or macOS to GNU/Linux on your desktop and/or laptop PC(s)?
Please no memes, baits, shitposts, etc. This is an honest question and I'd like to see real answers.

Attached: tux-face.png (948x1000, 112K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument_adoption
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Support for CAD and Circuit Simulators.

I'm already using linux for everything that isn't Hgames

gaymes to just werk (with drm/anticheat etc). that's the only thing that stops me from deleting my dual boot, though I rarely use windows now. also if the major DEs had a tiling WM option, since right now its either a hacky medium with KDE + i3 or full minimalist meme

I use Mac just because it’s best for music production/logic pro. Otherwise, if linux was more user friendly and not massively nerdy and contrarian maybe I’d use it

>with drm/anticheat etc
AFAIK Valve is working together with EAC and BattlEye to make it happen

proton and it already happened

Allow my hardware to work to it’s fullest extent
I have an HDR display, to move to Linux would mean not being able to use it

I'd switch to Linux if it offered any superiority other than being a WAY more stable coding environment. It doesn't do anything else better; so I have a cheap micro ATX build in the works to run Linux and a beefy win10 super tower gayming PC for literally everything else I'll ever do. And half the time I'm doing code in notepad++ on that machine anyways.

Stereo support for my headphones and speakers, vidya game support, though proton is doing a good job that lately. Thats about it

By focusing on security, implementing new security and hardening measures, conducting occasional audits for the source code and cleaning up their code base of cruft and deprecated code.

>proper hardware support
>proper drivers
>adobe programs (illustrator / PS)
>various CAD programs
>even just a single fucking worthwhile de
>a single worthwhile file browser
>emulators
>M$ office suite
Once Linux has ALL of that with no strings attached I'll switch full time. Until then it'll stay on my servers and VMs and the occasional ancient laptop.
And before people even start to think about it no the Linux available alternatives to Illustrator/PS and my CAD programs are not alternatives and neither is Libreoffice.

All the dj'ing, DAW, video muxing, and audio converting software I use on a daily basis, all with full gui support and no typing. The full MPC setup for when I don't use my phone these days would be nice, too. Oh yeah, also video games (and emulators).

I have two desktops running windows 10
One laptop dualboot mint and win10
One laptop running gentoo
One laptop running arch
The os i use depends on the application. Windows is still king for gaming so my gaming computers will have windows. Everything else is done on Linux. Work, internet, downloading, servers, messaging and some gaming.... All on Linux. I doubt i will completely get rid of windows anytime soon. But considering i only spend about 5% of my computing time on windows i dont see that as a problem. I never really understood why people think they only need 1 OS... no operating system is capable of doing everything well. I mean id write java or c apps on windows about as much as i would play hdr dx12 games on linux which is not at all.

Oh yeah I forgot:
>proper graphics management
>proper audio system that isn't fubar
>stopping kernel updates from fucking the system to the point of it being completely unrecoverable
>stop breaking a simple program into 3240923842 dependencies

A functional proper real-time voice changer

FreeCAD
GNU Circuit Analysis Package
it took me 10 seconds to find these in a search engine and they are just 1 software in a big list for each one you want. what was your excuse anyway?
tldr:Y U no Google it?

And the free shit still aren't alternatives to the proprietary Windows versions. It's not about there being no alternatives, technically there are, but viable alternatives? AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

>GNU Circuit Analysis Package
Why would you recommend this when SPICE is open source and extremely popular?

I'm just actually retarded, I would like to use it, but I am a brainlet

Nothing. I’ve already dumped Microwank Windoze.

just try it... there are literally hundreds of millions of online help resources

>stopping kernel updates from fucking the system to the point of it being completely unrecoverable

This guy can’t handle rolling distros.

Just stick to non-rolling.

Music production stuff and Affinity software.

I already use GNU/Linux on everything

Software that doesn't run on Wine.

I basically use it for everything minus the few games here or there that absolutely wont work on proton. Just waiting for battleye support really.

I have
the problem is, I am retarded.
not in any sense of not being able to follow instructions, but engaging in things I know nothing about rather than at least 30%. I wanted to do a minimal install, because I am retarded. I basically get to a "now what" point, although editing ~/.xinitrc with vim was the highlight of the week, even if I never managed to get into a graphical environment properly, I think it was smth to do with fonts, I'll try again though, thanks.
I'm unmotivated and easily lose focus, and undertake tasks which require motivation and focus with relation to my skills, that's what's retarded about me doing this.

... nothing, but linux is always a pain in da ass. last time i tried a switch, linux almost killed my raid with serious data and a half year of work. i need a workstation who runs under all conditions, not some special snowflake who needs special treatment. when linux can offer this, i willing to pay twice as much whats microsofts wants for its os ...

Attached: 1545608344242.jpg (436x365, 23K)

>EAC
Not anymore thanks to fucking Epic Games.

they are still working with them on that... this has just been re-confirmed two weeks ago or so

Literally just office, and i cant switch to anything else because compatibility ssuese and i think nothing comes close to it

Freecad fucking sucks and crashes constantly.

Attached: 1560352764997.jpg (562x600, 37K)

Native Daz Studio client so I can render my abominations.
There is a blender import plugin that is getting fairly easy to use though.

Attached: a-victorian-dark-fairytale-004_full.jpg (1920x1080, 781K)

Windows 10 was enough

KDE Neon crew

Attached: CE04AC3D-A5A2-421A-B830-866A5C1FA26D.png (270x210, 93K)

>LE PROPER

Full, integrated replacements for Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Bohemian Sketch, not some webshit based 'alternatives'. Also Microsoft Office OneNote. Also non-shitty file picker and less shitty file manager (I suppose KDE covers those, but KDE is not very stable itself).

Yes proper, as in not half assing linux support or halfassing anything in general and leaving the community to maintain it

Unironically pic related.
> Inb4 libreoffice
It's a steaming pile of dung with an awful laggy interface and compatibility issues with Microsoft Office formats, which like it or not, are pretty much treated as an industry standard. Beyond that, most video games to "just work" without any extra bullshit setup. Including old games. I still play ancient shit like Quake 3 Arena and The Incredible Machine on the regular.

Attached: 369779.png (237x188, 8K)

all it took for me was to agree with Stallman's philosophy

>Microsoft Office formats are pretty much treated as an industry standard
no, they are not...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument_adoption

I don't know where you live, but I'm in Burgerland and I've literally never seen anyone who wasn't a hardcore tech nerd use libreoffice or its file formats. Microsoft Office is the defacto standard here.
> Open the OpenDocument adoption Wikipedia
> Go to USA section
> Latest news is from 2007
kek

>le proper
>le half le assed

isn't .doc actually just an xml file or something? I don't get it, anons

That shit is fucking trash

I already use gnu/linux as my desktop / work OS. I only boot into windows for games.

I already use it because its way comfier for developers than Windows ever was or will be. It could be better though so imagining i don't:

I would use it if it had:

> Consistent calendary sync
> Consistent GUI
> DE agnostic UI experience
> Decentralized and QA'd package repository
> Some fucking standards
> This and other quality software
I feel that Linux lacks the utilities/tools/virtualization/environment to facilitate professional/useful desktop development. Some API's and tools to make it easier would probably speed up the rate at which Linux becomes desktop-capable. Any "free" alternatives mentioned when someone complains about the lack of USEFUL software (like this fag ) misses the point of why these complaints are filed. The industry software is developed by teams with their specific usebase in mind, and build to be used PROFESSIONALLY, Krita is nice but it will never be Adobe Photoshop, and pretending that shittier alternatives to industry standard software is somehow "the same" shows the shroud of ignorance that the recommenders are under. Worst thing about these people is they never actually use professional software for professional use cases, and thus don't understand why they are desired so much.
The moment that the linux community accepts this reality and starts to focus on a BEST computing experience, rather than a "good enough" experience, that is the moment that the Linux becomes a legitimate player in the desktop computing game.

functional optimus or replacement

Autocad so i can work from home on days im sick. Compatibility with vsts (linux has some pretty decent daws now, but no good virtual instruments). Those are the two things i need before i can fully wipe my windows partition.

A control panel that configured literally every text config file visually and a non-meme windowing system.

I’m sure Adobe would be glad to port their code if there was a consistent and prevalent enough environment but you faggots constantly distro and DE hop too much

A lot of searching for equivalents of Windows software and Windows workflows that you're used to.

You kind of have to have a Linux mentality to get enough out of Linux to make it worth it. And it definitely can be worth it if you do. But if you're just looking to Linux because it's free then just pirate Windows.

>because it's free
you are confusing the word free with gratis...
free also refers to software freedom, which you don't have on a proprietary system like windows or macos

If I could just install programs and see them working without problems.
Unlike the other complains here, I can't play games in it because I'm poor and my computer is shit (and I have a PS2 too, so whatever), but I need other stuff to work on my PC.

I switched my laptop to Linux Mint and loved its simplicity, nothing running in the background, no forced updates every second day, had a decent bundle of lightweight software to use for general shit.

The software that isn't supported is the real killer, I would never run Linux on my desktop and I put my original windows 10 hard drive back in (I installed Linux on a freshly formatted HD because I'm retarded and don't into partitions) because I couldn't play basic games or use photoshop unless I installed an old version and used it in a Windows emulator that wasn't even guaranteed to work properly.
Using Windows again reminds me how much I hate it though.

Is bumblebee really not any better? It's been like 4 years since I've had laptop with an Nvidia GPU.

vsync and HDR

For all the garbage to be ovened. You'll think this is a joke but it's not, the overwhelming majority of people involved with Linux are garbage, non-human.

autocad should work with wine

Some way to edit documents with those reference managers without either fucking up the reference linking or the document format after being opened in MSOffice.
Also a non-retarded Excel alternative. lO's Calc randomly converts my graphs to pictures or some faggy bullshit like that and I have to keep remaking them.

Being able to run all Windows programs natively without any WINE bullshit and configuration. Double click exe, install, run.

Attached: 1552476635656.jpg (900x1200, 132K)

Xubuntu and Mint literally just work. Remember to use the non-free drivers. Also remember:
>GIMP sucks dick, Pinta is better for low level image editing
>GNOME sucks dick, almost every other DE and wm are much better. Xfce is the most stable, that's why I recommend Xubuntu
>PlayOnLinux is a WINE frontend aka it will make it way easier to use and set it up
>VLC may just work yet mpv is the superior choice for movies, cmus for music
>Synaptic may help you with package managing in the beginning, you should learn how to use apt. Synaptic is also a graphical frontend though
>"learn" how to compile: it's mostly typing short sentences, copying and pasting and waiting
>keep a log about the packages you install, the stuff you compile, the useful commands you find around, etc. It's a good habit when migrating from Windows
Linux is not Windows. Stuff is different and tends to be better. You need time to get used, just like when you learned to use Windows once upon a time

league of legends is the only reason i have a 50gb partition, like 25 for the os then 10 for league and you are suppose to have 10-15gb or else you get that annoying error. linux for my other gaymes and shit posting

I'm using a laptop. Optimus actually working properly, and what says.
I work as a financial analyst and being unable to use Excel is the last thing preventing me from switching over completely.

being fucking usable out of the box without having to install tons of shit to get linux distro close to win 10

>proper hardware support
>emulators
>worthwhile file browser
>worthwhile de
Have you used Linux ever or at least in the last 8 years?
>M$ office suite
The web version is available.
>breaking a simple program into 3240923842 dependencies
Use appimage or snap/flatpak.

>Microsoft
>industry standard
Stop being retarded. Their EEE strategy no longer works. Almost every industry standard is open source. Their meme additions aren't used anywhere. LibreOffice is fine. The only thing you might need is to install m$ fonts.
>still play ancient shit like Quake 3 Arena and The Incredible Machine on the regular.
1. Install playonlinux
2. Click "install a new program"
3. Install unlisted program
4. Select exe file
5. ???
Every single game I installed using GOG windows installers just works.

Quake 3 sourceports work on linux though. What a terrible example.

>yeah bro take this random thing from 2009 I found it's a good alternative

No you are confusing free with liberty.

>Have you used Linux ever or at least in the last 8 years?
Hm let's see.
>proper hardware support
2 nics I can't use in my Linux servers cause they don't work at all. No they are not chink shit before you even start. And if that isn't enough for you hows support for Laptops? Still Russian roulette? Great gonna switch full time for sure.
>Emulators
Haven't looked in a while but not like that is the single greatest problem Linux has for me.
>worthwhile file browser
And that would be? Last time I checked half a year ago they all still had their own flaws that made them shit.
>worthwhile de
Not even gonna bother asking unless there suddenly came one out in the last 6 months that is akin to the second coming of Jesus but I didn't hear of it somehow DEs still are complete and utter dogshit as far as I am concerned.
Yeah happened to a vserver of mine just a few days ago but whatever. And if you search for it you can find a ton of recent threads for every mainstream distro but yeah that doesn't matter either.

>software freedom
what is that anyway? isnt software free enough on windows? lul

>happened to a vserver of mine
>ton of recent threads for every mainstream distro
I'm literally updating to the latest kernel released every week since v4. I'm on 5.1.15 now. Never had any single issue regarding the kernel on Linux Mint. So yes it doesn't matter. If you're too retarded to update a fucking kernel then use Android or MacOS or maybe you shouldn't update it.
>single greatest problem Linux has for me.
All standard emulators always targeted Linux. Linux often had better performance if you were on a rolling release because vulkan and oGL support were ahead of windows and mac.
>worthwhile file browser
>And that would be?
Dolphin and Thunar. If you think windows has a better FM then you're a babyduck.

>tfw Epic bought Easy Anti Cheat and shut down the linux porting work
fucking hell, my one chance to fully escape

>on your desktop
Already run GNU/Linux at work

>on your laptop
A working desktop environment that isn't crap
Improved battery life

Already done, I just load up a VM and share folders for anything needed on wincuck

You tried KDE in the past year?

>fully escape
>into DRM malware
You're not escaping, just changing prison cells.

I know, i just want to play smite sometimes.

>You tried KDE in the past year?
No, but I am skeptical. I abandoned KDE when they moved from 4 to their broken plasma shit in 5. I've also completely given up on Gnome, and I'm currently using Xfce which is broken as fuck, but at least it sort-of works most of the time.

I'm just tired of dealing with kernel panics because GDM shits itself while playing Youtube videos, or memory leaks in Thunderbird causing me to having to restart my mail client periodically... Linux is a wonderful kernel and I wouldn't want to work with anything else professionally, but as a daily driver OS it really sucks.

Maybe I'll try KDE again, just to see how it feels.

A warm community that doesn't behave like vegans.

Not being treated like a second class citizen by hardware manufacturers. Not just talking about GPU driver performance and such, I'm talking about my damn printer refusing to work half the time despite theoretically having official drivers.

>Xfce which is broken as fuck
Use Mint. I have no issues there.
>kernel panics
Literally what.

Stop buying shit printers. Every single printer that I've used in the last 4 years was compatible, WiFi or not.
>GPU driver performance
It's on par with windows most of the time. Vulkan and oGL can outperform windows.

>>proper drivers
Linux has better drivers because it doesn't have the shiny 200mb electron garbage UIs that's pushed on Windows.

Peddle your idealistic bullshit all you want. Reality is that my printer randomly refuses to work on linux, while being 100% reliable on windows.

it got dropped

windows folder structure and a DE that's similar to the one windows uses
a way to run windows programs with at least 90% the performance would be great too
i would literally cum my pants if there was a way to copy everything i have on my windows install to the linux one so that i don't have to reinstall and configure everything all over again

>It literally doesn't matter because it never happened to me
And people wonder why the year of the Linux desktop will never happen. The absolute fucking state.

install Dolphin (not the emu)
it has even better folders than windows explorer
wine + dxvk
>i would literally cum my pants if there was a way to copy everything i have on my windows install to the linux one so that i don't have to reinstall and configure everything all over again
anything in program files and AppData you could.
But it's better to just do a clean install to avoid any obscure errors.

>install Dolphin (not the emu)
>it has even better folders than windows explorer
it's just a file manager, the linux folder structure will still be the same
>wine + dxvk
i tested wine like half a year ago and it still has problems running more obscure windows programs

oh, read it wrong.
Yeah i'm not sure how the fuck you think that's logical or a reasonable request. You should barely be touching system files anyway.
Let your package manager and other programs handle that for you. You seem to be suffering from "I can't do it the shitty windows way and i don't want to learn any other".
what program/game?
did you try winetricks?
make sure you didn't specify the wrong wine prefix?

Also KDE is a far better DE than windows's

A stable display server, with a stable desktop environment that has plenty of features similar to Windows/macOS that doesn't really shit the bed with desktop composition.

I gave up. I spent months trying to get a decent set up so I could play stuff on windowed mode without getting noticeable input lag because of a fucking compositor and I blatantly refuse to manually disable something that I'm looking at anyways. Yes, Windows takes a hit but it's nowhere as painful.

But overall, games. Proton doesn't suffice and there's some fuckery with the xbox one controller driver that I used (xpadneo). It's so convoluted I hardly have a reason. I don't have profiles either for games, no enhanced sync (which helps me with games with low framerates), a lot of stuff there. Yeah it's progressing in that field, but it's nowhere near.

>Yeah i'm not sure how the fuck you think that's logical or a reasonable request
op asked a question, i answered that question
>You seem to be suffering from "I can't do it the shitty windows way and i don't want to learn any other"
that's exactly it, i won't deny anything
>what program
the one that was bugged to the point of being unusable is aimp
>did you try winetricks?
i don't know if it was winetricks but setting up that stuff was a huge pain in the ass
>make sure you didn't specify the wrong wine prefix?
i don't even know what you mean by that

>Use Mint.
Ohohoh no, never.

Wine is good enough for visual novel and hgames, right?

>doesn't happen to a normie who uses Mint
>happens to autists who don't know what they're doing
Yes, it's irrelevant. Retards break windows installs within 3 months.

I'd tell you, but then some fat faggot would insist that i'm just too dumb to spend my free time setting it up like he did. And then i'll continue to use windows just like everyone else, as the situation degrades for everyone.
Why bother.

Attached: king o sips.png (330x290, 8K)

I'm already there.

Attached: easyLinux.jpg (1057x857, 166K)

seeing that gpu pass-through is a thing, I already am fully on linux