Did Arch ever break on your computer (without you personally made it happen)? Is your hate justified? Be honest

Did Arch ever break on your computer (without you personally made it happen)? Is your hate justified? Be honest.

Attached: Archlinux-icon-crystal-64.svg.png (1024x1024, 60K)

I shall bump your thread, good sir

yes untested packages

Only with nvidia non-free drivers, or pulseaudio.
Also library conflicts between Artix and vanilla Arch.

Vanilla arch vm. Looses internet often. I would blame vm settings but debian, ubuntu, fedora, alpine, etc. allwork flawlessly.

Memes aside, Arch did shit itself after an update about a year ago. X wouldn't start even after reinstalling everything.
Switched to Gentoo and never looked back.

It runs pretty stable for me about 2 years, i wouldnt recommend using it on work though.
But basically don't listen to Jow Forums there are only very few people here knowing there shit.
The more important question is actually why do u consider using arch?

It worked for two year. Switched to Debian because of meme fear and it broke after some months.
Returned to Arch, best distro.

No.

The only time my Arch broke was when I manually renamed/moved libraries like a retard and done very unfortunate partial update.

>without you personally made it happen
No

>i wouldnt recommend using it on work though.
It's fine to use it for work. If you know your way, you shout be able to reinstall/run livecd in mere 15min.

>The more important question is actually why do u consider using arch?
Rolling release, AUR, only has what you install and had great wiki.

Arch itself? No. It enables me to use risky stuff though. But that's a good thing.

Been using manjaro for 5 months and now 2 months arch, none of them have broken my computer yet.

thanks senpai

Attached: 1561513472128.jpg (867x685, 96K)

Yes, but that was gazillion years ago and with testing.

non free drivers installed from the repo has never broken for me

Not once in 5 years

For me updating Arch broke it only once on my server, cause the default location for package's configuration got moved and my dumb ass didn't read the pacman log.

To be honest, i've never managed to make it work properly.

Try Arco Linux

yes a lot because of non-free nvidia drivers

been using arch on all my computers for 8 years. i never read any release notes and blindly update my computer every day. never had a *single* hiccup. im actually impressed

I would hardly consider Arch-specific issue, but whoever packages nVidia propietary drivers all of the sudden decided to put mine in the "legacy" branch and only thing I got on the screen on after-update reboot was xorg sharting itself in tty.

Good thing I guessed what was going roughly remembering how those gpu driver packages were described in Arch wiki.

It's more that well functioning hardware after 7 years of it's release apparently deserves to be somewhere in landfill according to it's vendors. Fuck computers.

Otherwise it's been fine for 3 or 4 years. Could use a stable and friendly TUI installer like Debian though.

yes, it broke on my pc once because i did pacman -Syu after one week of no updating. also used it on my laptop but wiped it someday because so many AUR packages were not maintained properly and failed on installation. I dont have the time to fix this shit so I dont use arch btw. Its a meme distro and it deserves the hate.

you dont have to lie user

No. Arch breaking all the time - even while updating daily is a myth.

No breaks yet and 6 months in with daily usage.

only once that i remember
it was something related to the e wm/de
but it was fixed within hours
idk if it was packaging or upstream

sorry but it must have been you

Never

nope
but Ubuntu and Fedora did

No. Comfiest distro I've ever used, also it doesn't trigger my autism.

I used to believe the same until then.
I got into an argument twice in their irc channel when they told me pacman shouldn't have run into errors, only to find instructions for "manual intervention" for upgrades the next day.
I'm done with Arch.

>Ubuntu

How?

Been using it for ~10 years. Broke it a couple of times.
Ultimately it was always my fault though it likely wouldn't have happened on, say, Ubuntu.
I learned lots of valuable lessons cleaning up afterwards and I didn't break it in quite a while now.

Manual intervention is not an error and it's quite rare.
Also it literally says on the wiki that pacman log should not be ignored as it might provide these kind of information.

Some time in April or May this year, an update fucked up the amdgpu kernel module, amd doing anything using it would hardlock my laptop. This of course included starting xorg, but also running commands such as rmmod amdgpu and lspci.
I had to disable the module from getting loaded at boot and just use the intel integrated graphics. I should check out if it was fixed by now.

At the same time, pacman also lost track of which files belonged to Xorg, but I think that was an effect of me having to hard reset my laptop a few (about 20, until I finally figured out what was wrong) times.

No

Forgot one thing. For some reason my wifi connection keeps dropping, but that seems to be a weird combination of Arch, my network card and my router, because:
>Arch on my old laptop with the same router works fine
>Windows 7 on my current laptop with the same router works fine
>Arch on my current laptop with any other wireless network tried works fine
Only
>Arch on current laptop with my specific router drops the connection every 2 minutes and I have to manually disconnect and reconnect.
Not that I really matters because I use ethernet when.at home anyways.

>For some reason my wifi connection keeps dropping

Same happened to me

2 or 3 times. It usually goes like this

>i need to update some trivial software
>ok, let's update the entire system while I'm at it
>sudo pacman -Syuu
>the entire thing breaks 20minutes later and it's literally easier to salvage what you can and install a fresh arch linux again than to try and fix it

Arch is unstable, the only reason I use it is because I got used to it over the last 5-6 years. The only comparable distro I know is gentoo but I don't want such a drastic shift. A breakdown once in 2-3 years isn't that bad
Things like Manjaro, Anteregos, Artix are just as volatile

How long do wait between updates? It's aa rolling distro, so you should maybe update at least ~once a month.

you said be honest so here goes
I cant be bothered dicking around tryina install arch when manjaro is near as dammit, arch.
I use manjaro, but when I first tried it, maybe 5 years ago, it completely fucked up. I went back to it about 4 months ago and wow, It is honestly now more stable than debian, ubuntu, or mint. It's very refreshing as an OS, - so not arch but arch based and loving it.
Like I say though trying to install arch caused me to lose the will to live, and I count myself as being a very advanced linux user

i have been running arch for a month, got two errors, the first one is xorg not starting because of a wrong word or something in a config file the second error was just pacman being angry at pip which is easily fixable

overall it was my mistake but imo that's the point with arch, you have TOO MUCH control over your system and you can't easily break it if you're a brainle like me lol

I did a -Syu and it just booted into blackscreen. I am so scared to update my system now.

I literally think that's not possible because the systemd switch most certainly required manual intervention.

Arch not. But my x220.