Old computers aesthetics

Will PCs/workstations ever look like this again?

I was born in 2000 so I never had the opportunity to use a machine like this one, yet for some reason they seem to be more friendlier or homey maybe? I don't know...

Attached: on26jpcvzW1sjav1vo1_1280.jpg (1280x853, 252K)

Other urls found in this thread:

y2kaestheticinstitute.tumblr.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=bH0Emzmc0AY
youtube.com/watch?v=iqel0k0NzNU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

90s was peak design

Attached: 355D13D5-9F55-45B1-83C8-2758860AE91A.jpg (723x960, 87K)

They won't and there is nothing you can do about it.

>3d printers exist
>no you can't have square white plastic, it is impossible

It won't ever be the same you know. You can print all the boxes you want but tou can never achieve the same level of comfyness than those systems. Nobody even makes crt's anymore and they are never going to be made again. Also things like fan sounds and that long and sweet hdd spin up sound when you boot your system is never going to come back. All we got is coil whine.

Mechanical keyboards had an amazing come-back, for instance.

and not to mention how high quality plastic felt back then

still comfy.

Attached: thinkstation-p300,Z-S-435448-22.png (600x450, 507K)

There are an infinite number of unexplored avenues for comfy. What we make now does not have to be an exact copy of what we had 20 years ago, it can be even better.

It's just not the same.

Attached: hpz.jpg (5760x3840, 1.93M)

Absolute trash
>hurr durr that one thinkpad is in the moma so lets buy it from ibm and copy the colours to make a good design forever

wow, just how much sand have you got up your vagina. Chill out

of course it's not "the same", but it's still the same idea. justl ike 90's cases looked different from 80's ones
ibm also produced thinkstations. they're great machines, i own pic related and it's a workhorse.

Sure it's a workhorse, an ugly ass workhorse that smells like shit

t. i3 anime wallpaper ricer

Even the photography for promo materials sucks these days. Look at this shit, muh 12 hours grind in open space "lax/casual" office, makes me want to kill myself, even has fucking pajeet in it.

Attached: 22640235_7729110980.jpg (5000x3333, 1.75M)

I want a light gray or beige version of this.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (600x450, 56K)

Lol sucks for you
>tfw using big beige box family computer set up next to the aquarium while the rest of your family goes about their business.
Maximum comfy 2bh

Attached: 750-48.jpg (1056x881, 131K)

>dat keyboard layout

I have a similar model, and old HP visualize C200 200mhz of 64bit PA-RISC power. Never could get the fucker to work though, just found it on the curb set out for trash.

I'm currently maining this case.

Attached: sun_case.jpg (1100x1199, 687K)

y2kaestheticinstitute.tumblr.com/

Attached: 1541172648179.png (1020x520, 952K)

It's not just case design, but the UIs themselves just totally lack that style which people call "comfy".

Agreed. And I see a lot of people commenting on this. I wonder if we could get a group together to make a modern yet comfy desktop environment for linux.

icewm is one

They will never have that aesthetic in the mainstream again, too much RBG. But that doesn't stop you from making your own PC with that look.

I doubt it can be done. Part of that style was a result of its limited capabilities. Plus a good majority of software isn't made with such a style in mind so it wont "blend in" as much, and this is even more true when you remember that the majority of computer usage these days takes place in a web browser.

I'll make the logo!

Attached: Gopher-Shot-big.jpg (800x600, 119K)

only in japan

Attached: iu-1.jpg (2177x4311, 1.55M)

by far the worst os of the 90's, when even microsoft is making better products than you there's something seriously wrong

worthless, stagnant company

this is like 2002 gtfo

this stuff is actually really cool

Attached: iu-2.jpg (500x466, 59K)

How long before this thread descends in to posting Japanese PC games?

Attached: ww-pc98-combat.jpg (640x400, 111K)

CRT sucks ball. Also brown square beige boxes are just another aesthetic choice. There's nothing stopping you from using it with some effort.
>TFW 20 years from now zoomers will think rgb light and transparent side panel as comfy

sure y not youtube.com/watch?v=bH0Emzmc0AY

Are those 3.5" diskette drives?

Man... do they even make 3.5" diskettes any more?

You can still find old stock but I don't think they are being made anymore.

i mean that's the only kind they would make since 5.25 was obsolete since the 80's

I've heard stories of it being the other way around, however: 5.25s live on because new ones are needed for business and government critical toasters that nobody knows how to replace with modern hardware, but 3.5s stopped being necessary when better media appeared.

>5.25s live on because new ones are needed for business and government critical toasters
that sounds awesome where do i find all of this 5.25 equipment

I would just find it weird that anyone is shocked by a 3.5 floppy disk, you could get them in all sorts of computers clear into the mid 00's

they were given to people in my high school computer lab in like 2007

Attached: index.jpg (197x256, 10K)

>print beige box
>covered in ripples like a shitty cake

>you will NEVER be chatting on worlds chat sipping a coke at 4 AM on your beige CRT
youtube.com/watch?v=iqel0k0NzNU

Not even the 5.25s - the entire United States ICBM program still runs on 8 inch floppy disks

Attached: floppy-636x215.png (636x215, 169K)

Attached: DSC00241.jpg (6000x4000, 3.24M)

Attached: bolix.jpg (2048x1536, 373K)

Hello Ian.

Attached: bolix2.jpg (1109x1478, 351K)

Attached: bolix3.jpg (1280x1280, 384K)

>monochrome CRT displays where most of the screen is white rather than black
What were they thinking?

that interface looks pretty damn professional

Dude that "Genera" system looks slick as hell

Its a Lisp machine.

I can still buy them new at one of my local stores.

Attached: diskett-3-5-10-pack?636855799446543009.jpg (750x750, 88K)

Notice how old UI had light themes.
This "originally UIs were dark!" meme is revisionism.

doesn't matter really

i can't deal with light UIs because i've got a shit ton of visual snow

God Lisp machines were so beautiful. Shame they didn't catch on.

AMIGA

Attached: 1531015573584.png (1035x1080, 190K)

I installed Chicago95 xfce theme to make my thinkpad look like it was running windows 95

no, but perhaps aesthetic trends and user expectations may drive desktop computing back towards a more professional, information-oriented look and feel again.
sure you can hack together an aviion or sparcstation clone case just like people do with little retro console lookalike cases for their raspis, but it will never really be the same. it will always all of the context and engineering that actually made those machines interesting, the appeal behind old shit in the modern era has always been more than just a different formula of plastic.

Those seem to have power supply problems out the ass, none of mine in that form factor function either. I'd like to fix one some day though.

I actually had a very similar one to that in the mid-late 90s. I did however get tired of it pretty quickly once I realized I couldn't write programs for it.

you need to remember those were much more expensive. but no, we'll never have the sheer quality again.

I never understood why CE HPCs didn't have as many good on-device IDEs as Palm. At the same time, Pocket Scheme is still hands down one of the best mobile development tools I've ever used. I think PocketC is the only other one of note but I never liked that one because it's not ANSI-compliant for some fucking reason.

>Lenovo Thinkstation
Old IBM cases...now they were fucking sexy

Attached: IBM-x3400.gif (500x500, 317K)

>I did however get tired of it pretty quickly once I realized I couldn't write programs for it.
yeah that's pretty lame are you fucking serious

*CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK*

Yeah it's great, if you were already deaf.

I mean, I'm sure it was possible to write programs for it, but it didn't come with any programming tools, and the time was pre-google.

>I think PocketC is the only other one of note but I never liked that one because it's not ANSI-compliant for some fucking reason.
god, that shit pissed me off so much

Just needed an IDE like Embedded Visual C++ on a desktop, not much different from modern smartphones except getting an IDE wasn't as trivial as it is now.

>except getting an IDE wasn't as trivial as it is now
And it wasn't free. I don't even want to think about how much Microsoft's IDE for that environment would've cost. Very definitely not something I'd have been able to pay just to dick around with it when I was 15, for sure.

Don't think it was wallet-destroying but you definitely had to be serious about developing applications to justify it.

Palm at least got a GCC toolchain in the end if you wanted to freetard it, I think CE got one too but I can't remember.

I have an old windows 98 dell I use to play old games with. you can find them for relatively cheap on ebay.

nah

that's a knee grow.

This is where the Node 202 inspiration came from

nothing says you cant buy one just to play with it
just be aware that buying old computers gets really expensive really fast if you want something specific

i have an SGI Indy from 1993 as my weird nostalgia machine, i love the color and the texture of the plastic as well as the pizza box design
its absolutely useless for pretty much anything except what it was originally designed for, but its a neat piece that makes me comfy looking at it

there are certainly people trying to bring back the software aesthetic at least

Attached: E2216F63-A07A-4A74-9ED9-E7A935E8EBB5.png (880x704, 237K)

also i got one of these just sitting around, works fine
playing games from tape is super cool

Attached: IMG_4203.JPG.9296c03710dcaf331c679caf39be707d.jpg (4032x3024, 1004K)

What's the best flat CRT?

OS 8 was behind the times technically, but I'll be damned if Platinum wasn't one of the nicest GUI design aesthetics of all time.

Attached: imagestyler.jpg (1024x768, 537K)