/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>i3 8350k - Recommended minimum gaming
>i5 9400F/9600k - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 9700K - Extreme solution for absolute max FPS
>i9 9900K - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing
>i9 7980XE - HEDT

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>Always avoid AMD if gaming
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: z2tc3xyut1j11.jpg (1280x1440, 156K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amd.com/en/graphics/workstations-radeon-pro-vega-ii
pcpartpicker.com/list/yWhMRJ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first

I just got a Dell T3500 tower with a W3565 3.2GHZ for £40, what GPU can I pair with this that make sense? I just want to play esports games, I have consoles for AAA games.

Attached: dell t3500.jpg (640x480, 38K)

Just got a BSOD with "unexpected kernel mode trap" as the error, how could I fix this? I've been getting more BSODs lately and I don't know why

who else here /just waiting/ for AIB rx5700?

Attached: 5ksspbt11y031.png (437x740, 411K)

What are your specs ?

>$400 for 2060 performance
no thanks

>Why yes, my next build has the 5700XT Anniversary Edition, how did you know?

Attached: largemale.jpg (1080x1331, 135K)

2060s performance that will go close to 2070 I bet as we can see with all the other "lesser" amd models that end up getting OC'd easily

>pro amd pic
>anti amd OP
based bipolar poster

R5 [email protected], 1070Ti, 2x8GB DDR4-3200 RAM, 1TB WD HDD

Brainlet here, why can't amd use pic related to give us some glued together GPUs?

Attached: AMD-Infinity-Fabric-740x416.jpg (740x416, 45K)

It's your GPU, you better sell it to me for peanuts. Just kidding, did you install any new hardware prior to BSODs ?

WOW nvidias offers are so much better, they are overpriced faggots, but when you compare them to AMD they actually look good.
How did AMD fuck this up so hard?

Attached: 2060 super and control vs 5700 lets you play on a console.jpg (1440x940, 227K)

amd.com/en/graphics/workstations-radeon-pro-vega-ii

I'll probably get one because I only care to play borderlands 3

From the last couple threads.
Thinking of opting for 2x8GB instead, and changing the PSU to something that’s 80+ Gold because I’ve already had one bad experience with a cheaper PSU before.

Any reason I should not get these other parts? I’m just looking for a decent build that’s an upgrade from my 4690 and 970 that I used to have before my ex took it.

So are there better alternatives to hyper 212s now? I'm hearing about gammaxx 400, core frozr l and dark rock 2

Need to replace the GPU on my ancient Sandy Bridge rig. Is it true that newer cards require UEFI to function?

Nope, not sure what's causing it but apparently it's an error you get when you OC your processor. The thing is I've OCed this thing the first day I got it and experienced zero BSODs, why it's happening now all of a sudden is beyond me.

>Always avoid AMD if gaming

Why? Their new processors coming out July looks k.

Clean off your PC, both hardware and software, it might help.

non gamer here but I wanna get back into it this year
are triple a western games actually good now or are they the same old shooter/linear no gameplay dog shit games they always were?

if im just gaming is 16gb enough?or should i pick up 32gb?

it's b8 m8

dont pick 32gb for gaming

I suggest 2060 super with Control game bundle.
but that's just me.

If you need to ask, you don’t

Cyberpunk looks cool

i'll have to check em out, last time I played a "proper" game was bloodborne, nowadays I just play gacha shit
before that though I was really into JRPGS, SRPGS, dungeon crawlers etc along with WoW but now that I have some money i'm gonna get a nice gpu and some multiplayer games like monster hunter world, WoW classic and whatever else to keep the loneliness at bay
I haven't fallen for that meme but i'll pirate it :^)

Like physically clean off the parts and reinstall Windows?

>OCed this thing the first day I got
What voltage on the CPU? How are your temps looking?

Tom's Hardware was owned by NCIX

chkdsk and memtest for at least 24 hours

>calls western games "linear no gameplay dog shit"
>plays Gacha shit

Attached: 1536814819602.gif (379x387, 71K)

IIRC it's maybe 1.3V because Gen 1 Ryzen overclocks like shit. Temps are normal. Most of the time it's 30C-35C idle but it occasionally treads into 40C idle but then it quickly goes back down. I'm not using the stock cooler, I'm using a Cryorig H7

imagine not playing destiny child in the year of our lord 2019 AD

Usage: 1080p 60fps gaming
Budget: around $1050
pcpartpicker.com/list/yWhMRJ
I want a stable 60fps at least for 5y

Attached: Screenshot_2019-06-29-03-51-30-997_com.android.browser_1_1.png (1080x6136, 812K)

wait for zen 2 in less than two weeks dude
also don't ever ever pay for windows like that
you can either pirate or just buy an ebay key for less than $10

is meshify mini c the best matx case?
cheap, good build quality, fits nh-d15
i'm going to be upgrading to Zen 2, are there any good cases that's going to be launching then?

Overpriced for RTX 2060. Get one that's around $320. The most you ever want to pay for a 2060 is MSRP for $349. The 6GB of VRAM might not be futureproof for 5 years, but the performance will hold up. Just hope that next gen console ports don't push the VRAM floor above 6GB.

Going full AMD (cpu + gpu)
What am i in for?

slight disappointment but money saved

Could I stretch out my i7 4790k for another 5-6 years? I only do 1080p high settings gaming, have 0 interest in going for 1440p or anything. I have a 1070 now for a gpu, so I know that can last me 5 years at least. Just curious if I should dump the money on a new cpu + mobo or should I be good for a while?

I just realise that 2600x has the same core count and core speed as 3600 but it is $20 cheaper. what the hell.

do i want to getr 590 or something else? AMD gpu naming are confusing

570 at ~$120 or Vega 56 at ~$275 are the only worthwhile amd card purchases.

3 years max but probably 2 years if next gen consoles actually have powerful desktop tier ryzen cpu's and not shitty mobile variants.

Cheapest twin fan 2060 is like €400 here but I was offered an MSI Gaming X 1070ti for €220. Y/N

>What is IPC

>What is IPC

Something that gives Intel processors HIV

check review on the 1070ti

sucks cause i want to get ddr4 ram but my mobo now doesn't support it and if i want a new mobo for new ram i have to get a new cpu due to it being a LGA1151 socket so i can't reuse my 4790k. fuck, is ddr4 even worth the upgrade? just came into some money so now is my only time really to upgrade my rig and make it last another 5 years.

I used to have a regular 1070 with the same cooler and was really happy with it and was just wondering what to expect from the "ti" spec bump. Still a bit behind the 1080 I'd guess?

If my cpu temp rises by about a degree a second until the PC shuts off after a minute or two it's probably my cooler pump that died right? All my other fans and what not are running fine.

R5 3600 for ~$200
RX 5700 for ~$379
GPU options are no better than Nvidia's at the mid-high end. If you're not willing to drop yuan/HK$ for Lisa's bustier stuff, then the RX 570 4GB for $110-120 is what you'll want.

a lot of games are memory bandwidth sensitive now so yeah ddr4 is worth it (at least ddr4-3000 if you're buying ryzen). if you're upgrading now for the future you should be safe on the cpu side with ryzen 2 coming out in literally like a week and a bit. on the GPU side well we don't know what the consoles will be like and console GPU is always the baseline. if console suddenly go all in with RT tech for cinematic games then chances are devs will milk the fuck out of RT next gen and you'd want sufficient hardware for that.

you think i should upgrade to a Ryzen 5 3600 from my 4790k when it comes out? the price is very appealing and in my budget if ill just grab a new mobo and ddr4 ram to go with it.

i would recommend the 8 core ryzen just to be safe because the next gen console will also be using 8 core zen 2 (ryzen 3000) processors and if they're actually just lower clocked desktop variants then you'd be at a disadvantage with those 6 cores after a few years and you want it to last 5 years.

Had anyone here used IC graphite thermal pads? Seems much better as there is no sticky gooey paste and you can supposedly re-use it.

benchmarks show that it's good but good paste is still better

Reviews I've seen differ like 1-2c so it's within margin error IMO, the benefit of having a re-useable and easily applied thermal pad should make up for the minor temp difference (if any).

Hi /pcbg/, semi-poorfag here. I want to upgrade my CPU(currently my desktop has i3-2120, rx580, 8gb ram, ssd) as a stop gap until I can save up enough to buy a newer desktop in another couple of years.

My goal in upgrading is VM performance (I do half my stuff on VMware) and gaming. I want 1080p mid-to-high and *maybe* some VR. I have two options:

>i5 2500: $40 CAD ($30 USD)
>i7 3770: $90 CAD ($70 USD)

Which one should I get? My motherboard is an H77MA-G43... its socket compatible with the i7 but I don't know if there's anything else I should be aware of. I have a stock cooler (is that good enough for an i7?) and high quality 650W psu.

Attached: man_hiding_amongst_pylons.jpg (570x378, 93K)

Why do all of Logitech's wireless mice develop double click problems? What the fuck man

Wired ones do too

>>Always avoid AMD if gaming
Why is this?
I thought you guys are saying intel BTFO and amd win?

It's basically a 1080 with minor cutbacks, overclocking the memory and the card itself will bring it up to speed with a 1080

its dumb. decent thermal paste will be cheaper and better.

They all do
But in my experience just taking it apart and blowing on the switch with compressed air fixes it 100% of the time

In the ball park of $350 (ideally less) what's the best USED card I can get? I'm thinking about going 4K and also buying a VR headset. I have a lot of fun with the Vive at arcades and my friend is selling his pretty cheap. Feel free to be mobo/psu/processor agnostic, I'm probably building an entirely new system.

Attached: rciardo.gif (220x300, 647K)

GeForce 750, 950 or 1050
Radeon 7750, 460 or 550

Literally don't bother with paying for Windows. You could spend $5 for a grey market Win10 Pro key and use Microsoft's official media creation tool for making a bootable Win 10 installer.

I bought a $5 Win10 pro key about 2 years ago and have used it for about 6 installations, shit's cash.

Go on eBay, tons of sellers that offer instant delivery or just steal from your university.

This is my current setup, as well as a PNY GTX970 that's currently not connected. Do you guys have any suggestions for a good, long durability PSU?
I'm looking to change that and the case. My build is currently on an Enthoo Evolv ITX, so any tips as to what to look out for when getting a new case would help.

Attached: PC.png (660x525, 31K)

Thanks.
What's dumb? Not wanting to bother with applying and removing paste to literally save a few dollars? As I mentioned the reviews I've seen show little to no difference, at most like 1-2c.

> Not wanting to bother with applying and removing paste to literally save a few dollars?
First, it's not that much of a hassle, second it's cheaper, thrid it gives better performance.
To prefer the alternative in this case, you need to be a giga retard who can't handle applying paste AND you need to be the kind of autist that thinks you need to re-apply it every month.

>Do you guys have any suggestions for a good, long durability PSU?
Anything with a 10 year or more warranty

Try getting something rated for more than you actually need. The PSU will run cooler if you do this and for that reason would probably last longer. Some people do this just for the benefit of not having another fan always running in their system too.

But hey I've been using a 400 watt chinese mystery brand PSU in an old FX 6300 + GTX 650 Ti system for 5+ years without even cleaning the PSU. So honestly you're fine either way. Just blow it out and occasionally open it up for cleaning.

But it comes back?

>even A320 works with Zen2.

Holy fuck, this is awesome. now non-X SKU's would probably drop in nicely with X370's.

ayo senpai anyone who has that leaked price sheet of the x570 motherboard lineup?

look at the bottom left of the pcb, looks like something out of the early 2000s, chinese capacitors are back in business

Attached: x570 oof legend.jpg (1920x1440, 464K)

This. Getting an overdimensioned semi passive PSU is the best investment I've made in ages. It might cost a few bucks more but you get what you pay for and spread over a 7-10yr warranty period I doubt it would be much cheaper getting two shitty PSU's instead.

Just curious though, do PSU's generally react to thermals as well as load? I read about someone frying their Seasonic by manually activating the fanless mode and since the power consumption never went above the limit the fans never started and shit got overheated. Sound like user error though and they shouldn't be doing that without manual tinkering.

I'm trying to overclock my 2200G's onboard Vega.
On bios, dynamic SOC voltage is +0.144v and GFX voltage is +0.00625, which is the smallest value that it lets me. I did that so it doesnt raise the voltage when the iGPU is being stressed, thus maintaining the RAM's soc input.
With these settings, I get these readings on HWiNFO. There's two different readings of SOC voltage, how do I deal with that?
Btw it's not stable yet, it just doesnt BSOD when gaming, instead only the game stops responding and closes.

Fuck I should have bought an A320 and saved some pennies. I got baited.

Attached: untitled.jpg (467x392, 80K)

I have no experience but I can say that PSUs are probably more durable than you think. Consider how many small office PCs there are pushing their PSUs to the limit that are running day in and out for years while filling up with dust.

Attached: i'm fat lets party snorlax.jpg (1017x786, 29K)

I bought a cx550, i think i did well. What's the thing with semi passives?

>looks like something out of the early 2000s
looks like capacitors, that's all

maybe you just got lucky. ive had quite a few generic PSUs die on my in the last 15 years.

Why's the first post recommend RTX 2060 if Vega 56 is cheaper and performs better?

Because that's simply not true!!!!!!!!! AMD gpus are overpriced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was thinking about upgrading my i3 8100 to a Ryzen 3600 or i5 9600k.

Will the new Ryzen chips require a new motherboard chipset vs the old B450 or a bios update?

If so, I'll just get the i5 9600k.

Attached: gpucomp.png (1362x1553, 292K)

>performs better

it doesn't. look at the tomshardware review. 2060 is on par with a vega 64 or faster and the 56 was much slower. also vega in general is outdate and obsolete.

Does Ryzen work well with Yuzu, or is Intel better for emulation?

I know it does with CEMU, Dolphin and PCSX2, but it runs badly with RPCS3?

Do you VRM pros think the 12 core ryzen 3000 CPU will work fine in my x370 ROG VI Hero board?

I just bought a 5 year old HP g8 server off of amazon. Am I a giant retard?

Yes, HP is trash.

The ryzen 3600 will work in the b450 board.

No bios update required?

I have no old chip to update it obviously, since I have the 8100.

everything now runs badly on RPCS3. new windows update ruins TSX and new builds of the emulator tries to abandon it altogether.

of course it will need a bios update.

Thanks anons

That sucks, does AMD still do that thing where they'll send you an old chip to update with?